Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15 worst NHL Contracts (DGB)

Dobber Sports Master

Default 15 worst NHL Contracts (DGB)

Enjoy my friends:
    http://grantland.com/features/hockeys-worst-contracts/

It is gold I tell ya!

Behold:
    Lots of bad contracts seem like a good idea at the time, only to turn sour as the years go by. Clarkson’s deal, signed on the first day of free agency last summer, was almost universally panned from the very moment it was announced. I hated it. Sports Illustrated said “the money is unnerving, but the term is absolutely frightening.” Yahoo said it “has regret written all over it.” Sporting News used the deal to call the Maple Leafs free agency’s “biggest losers — by a lot.”

That was seven months ago. Since then, things have gotten much, much worse.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't agree with all of them but I love the inclusion of P.K. Very smart and is so true! Montreal is going to pay out there arse for that tactical error.

Clarkson at 1 is a no-brainer! That contract is an abomination!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Administrator

He forgot to mention the value of team bonding. No dollar figure can be attached to that.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I don't agree with all of them but I love the inclusion of P.K. Very smart and is so true! Montreal is going to pay out there arse for that tactical error.

Clarkson at 1 is a no-brainer! That contract is an abomination!
    I don't see it that way for Subban. He only had that one very solid season before that deal so a bridge deal seemed fair to me. Sure, he would've cost less in the following seasons if we had signed him then but he could've also been a bust with only one great season.

I'm sure Marc Bergevin will happily give him his big contract and will be very happy with it. Big bucks for proven big players. It's simply normal.

The Great One

I didn't laugh once.

DGB has been fading for a long long time.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I didn't laugh once.

His Grantland stuff has never contained much in terms of humor.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

I didn't laugh once.

this is written by the guy who writes DGB but this is not DGB

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

The Great One

It's on DGW too

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's on DGW too
    yeah i just noticed that now that you said something

quickly scrolling down yeah it looks like someone serious took over that site

not sure how i feel about that

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    I don't see it that way for Subban. He only had that one very solid season before that deal so a bridge deal seemed fair to me. Sure, he would've cost less in the following seasons if we had signed him then but he could've also been a bust with only one great season.

I'm sure Marc Bergevin will happily give him his big contract and will be very happy with it. Big bucks for proven big players. It's simply normal.
    If anyone felt that Subban could be a bust after his first two seasons they have no business being involved in the process of evaluating talent. He has elite skills in every manner and this is coming from a Leaf fan. Very easy to see

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Subban's contract wasn't just about him… it was Montreal establishing protocol for RFA's within the organization. Now when Gally and others rise through the ranks, they can say take your bridge contract, show us what you can really do and we will reward you handsomely - just like we did with PK. It was never about his skills. It's a far better way of doing business than most organizations and I think it was the right call at the time. A far better way to run a business than many of the other organizations who give in to their young stars and pay them for what they might possibly do down the road. Looking at you Edmonton… How long until Yak signs his $6million extension?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Subban's contract wasn't just about him… it was Montreal establishing protocol for RFA's within the organization. Now when Gally and others rise through the ranks, they can say take your bridge contract, show us what you can really do and we will reward you handsomely - just like we did with PK. It was never about his skills. It's a far better way of doing business than most organizations and I think it was the right call at the time. A far better way to run a business than many of the other organizations who give in to their young stars and pay them for what they might possibly do down the road. Looking at you Edmonton… How long until Yak signs his $6million extension?
    I actually agree with this...yes if the guy is really a stud you wind up paying a little more but the bonus is that you don't get burned this way and saddled with bad contracts

Dobber Sports Sage

This is a horrible way to run any business and make 0 sense imo. I'm shocked Mcgoo agreed with it. You evaluate prospects on a individual biases not on some ludicrous team protocol. You than have 5 guys with 8 million dollar contracts when your ready to compete rather than 5 guys on 5-6 million contracts. If you can't trust your personal to evaluate what those players are worth without needing the bridge contracts than you need to get you self better management. To suggest that they did the right thing in terms of Subban's contract is absurd as far as I'm concerned! I would also bet than when Gally comes up they learn from what was clearly a mistake and sign him long term right away.

For the record everyone of Edm young contracts they signed so far are excellent and will look like steals in a couple years. There inability to win has nothing what so ever to do with the contracts, it only has to do with there managements inability to surround them with any sort of D or a Goalie until recently

Your now going to pay a guy 8-9+ million a year instead of 5 and it is being defended. It baffles me in every way! and that is if your lucky and doesn't say "F you guys for treating me like a douche, I'm outta here as soon as I can be"!
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; February 14, 2014 at 8:38 PM.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Master

Soo... any guesses on whether the Flyers offer-sheet Subban?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Soo... any guesses on whether the Flyers offer-sheet Subban?
    i would imagine that every team in the league would send offers if he isn't extended

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max