Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strome vs Nichushkin

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Strome vs Nichushkin

In a salary cap dynasty league that counts G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, how close would you rate these two and thinking short and long term, who would you rather have?

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm a bit concerned that Strome hasn't been able to break through. It's not like the Isles are some juggernaut loaded with talent. They wouldn't play Neiderreiter, now look what he's doing since they unloaded him. It might require a trade before he gets a really good look in the NHL. Short term, I dont like him, because I'm not sure where he fits in with the top 6 group. If Vanek leaves in FA I am liking him more. His future lies on the wing since JT and Nielsen have the top two lines pivot spots nailed down.

Meanwhile, Nicushkin is already up and getting big minutes in the top 6. Dallas clearly wants him to take the RW spot on the Seguin-Benn line and run with it. He might not put up Hertl numbers but in the short term he is the superior player. He isnt getting PP time yet, but that should come as he gains more confidence. His long term outlook is unclear, but the fact he is already up and playing in the top 6 means Dallas has big plans for him. If I had to pick one, I would go with Nichushkin. His athleticism is superior, he has a big body which should be useful in front of the net. He has a ways to go but he is actually in the NHL and I can see his developmental curve and know how he looks and if he is improving. And I like the line he is being groomed for; who doesnt want guys off a Seguin-Benn line for the future?

Short term and long, Nicushkin is my choice.
    Last edited by Doug Glatt; November 12, 2013 at 3:13 AM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I take Strome easily. The only reason he isn't in the NHL is because the Isles are horrible with prospects. They messed up with Nino and others by rushing and now they are going way the opposite way with Strome and taking it too slow so that they don't repeat their mistakes. He's been good enough to play in the NHL for a few years. Strome is well over a point per game in AHL and he dominated the O before that. Strome just needs the opportunity which he will definitely get at some point. Nichushkin has more flaws in his game that he will need to fix.

Banned

Strome is a perimeter player with limited defensive awareness. He is in the AHL working on things that made him successful in junior - specifically, going into the dirty areas to score and make plays. It is coming for him, but he isn't in the NHL becasue he isn't ready. No conspiracy theorioes. He will be up at some point this year - wether injuries force the Isles hand or Strome shows some consistency in in these areas that need inmprovement.

Either way, both are good prospects. I will say that there are no guarantees with Dallas line-ups now or in the future. Nill has said the Nichushkin will play LW in the future for Dallas

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with MattP. The Islanders are actually taking their time with him which is a good thing. He probably would be in the NHL right now but they have too many top 6 forwards as it is so they are keeping him down. I see him as the second line behind JT and Neilsen getting bumped down to the third line once he comes back down to earth.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp913 View Post
    I take Strome easily. The only reason he isn't in the NHL is because the Isles are horrible with prospects.
    Yeah, that may be the only reason, but it's a pretty important friggin' reason when you are evaluating the future value of two prospects.

Give me the guy getting top-6 minutes in the NHL, not the guy wearing a ball-and-chain because of his organization.

If I were a Strome owner, the Vanek acqusition would be making me pretty nervous.

RETIRED

The Great One

The fact that Brock Nelson is playing regularly in NY, and Strome is not, tells me that Strome is not ready. Otherwise he'd be there, and Nelson would be in Bridgeport.

Dobber Sports Pro

Give me Nichushkin. I think is upside is as high if not higher then Strome's and regardless of what has been said I do not believe he is NHL ready, because if he was he would likely be in the NHL.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Expert

Nichushkin's upside is higher than Strome. Saying "I take Strome easily" is just laughable.

There is a reason why Nichushkin is playing in the NHL right now, he's an absolute physical specimen and he's also very skilled.

I take Nichushkin here.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    The fact that Brock Nelson is playing regularly in NY, and Strome is not, tells me that Strome is not ready. Otherwise he'd be there, and Nelson would be in Bridgeport.
    Nelson is in the NHL because his game is NHL ready - though he is playing anything but regularly (the reasoning is another story altogether). It has nothing to do with Strome.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I'm a bit concerned that Strome hasn't been able to break through. It's not like the Isles are some juggernaut loaded with talent. They wouldn't play Neiderreiter, now look what he's doing since they unloaded him. It might require a trade before he gets a really good look in the NHL. Short term, I dont like him, because I'm not sure where he fits in with the top 6 group. If Vanek leaves in FA I am liking him more. His future lies on the wing since JT and Nielsen have the top two lines pivot spots nailed down.

Meanwhile, Nicushkin is already up and getting big minutes in the top 6. Dallas clearly wants him to take the RW spot on the Seguin-Benn line and run with it. He might not put up Hertl numbers but in the short term he is the superior player. He isnt getting PP time yet, but that should come as he gains more confidence. His long term outlook is unclear, but the fact he is already up and playing in the top 6 means Dallas has big plans for him. If I had to pick one, I would go with Nichushkin. His athleticism is superior, he has a big body which should be useful in front of the net. He has a ways to go but he is actually in the NHL and I can see his developmental curve and know how he looks and if he is improving. And I like the line he is being groomed for; who doesnt want guys off a Seguin-Benn line for the future?

Short term and long, Nicushkin is my choice.
    Totally agree here....nice work.

The Great One

+1 for Nich. He's doing now what Strome hasn't been able to do in a few years.

Dobber Sports Ace

This is a pretty obvious choice.

Nichushkin is playing well as a rookie, on a great line, showing flashes of brilliance, and he scored today for Russia in the Olympics.

As good of a prospect as Strome is, Nichushkin is the guy here.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah, funny to look back at old threads now that all those from the last 3 months are gone.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    Yeah, funny to look back at old threads now that all those from the last 3 months are gone.
    Even funnier to look back a particular member's posts who hasn't been around in over 3 months who uses the word "easily" so....easily.