Thread: Bryzgalov worth a shot?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Bryzgalov worth a shot?

I have an opportunity to acquire the 1st overall waiver pick in my league, which would allow me to pick up Bryzgalov.

Cost is Roy and a 1st prospect pick (2014 draft class, likely 6-12) and waiver swap. Not to worried about the prospect pick, my team is built to win now.

Given my goaltending situation for the league in sig, worth the risk? Do you guys think Bryzgalov will provide anything of significance? Or should I focus my assets on acquiring a goalie elsewhere?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Seems worth the risk.
    12 team, yahoo H2H Daily starts, keep 10
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SHP,SOG. W,SV%,SV,GAA,SHO
    2C,2LW,2RW,1Util,4D,2G
    C-RNH,
    LW-Benn,Kane, Drouin
    RW-Kessel,Ovechkin, Simmonds
    D-
    G-Lundqvist, Howard Gibson

Dobber Sports Sage

Look elsewhere. Bryzgalov won't even be starting in Edmonton for a week or more, they are sending him to OK City for a conditioning stint. And when he does get called up, he will be backstopping the Oilers, who just traded away their best defensive player, Smid.

Trade one of your great LWs and get someone who you can start without ruining your stats. That trade you mention doesnt seem worth what you are giving up.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Look elsewhere. Bryzgalov won't even be starting in Edmonton for a week or more, they are sending him to OK City for a conditioning stint. And when he does get called up, he will be backstopping the Oilers, who just traded away their best defensive player, Smid.

Trade one of your great LWs and get someone who you can start without ruining your stats. That trade you mention doesnt seem worth what you are giving up.
    I've thought about moving one of my LW's for a goaltending upgrade.

The other option of course is to roll with what I have and surf the wire for backup stops here and there in order to meet the quota of 3 starts per week. I have consistently been winning the skater categories, which means I contiue to win my weekly matchups while getting smoked inthe goaltender categories.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I've thought about moving one of my LW's for a goaltending upgrade.

The other option of course is to roll with what I have and surf the wire for backup stops here and there in order to meet the quota of 3 starts per week. I have consistently been winning the skater categories, which means I contiue to win my weekly matchups while getting smoked inthe goaltender categories.
    Yeah man, I think that's the way to go. Use the assets you would have dealt away in the idea you proposed in combination with a LW to get something that you know will work out. You will kick yourself for throwing away next year's first rounder when Bryz stinks up the joint. Frankly there are not a lot of Gs who will do well behind the Oil. They suck, plain and simple.

If you can stream backup Gs I would do that before I rolled Bryz as a regular. That way you are taking your shots when you want to, instead of standing Bryz up in front of a storm and hoping for the best.
    Last edited by Doug Glatt; November 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Bryz is only worth a free pickup if you don't have to dump something of value to fit him

if you have to pay to get him or dump something that is actually valuable he isn't even close to worth grabbing

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Yeah man, I think that's the way to go. Use the assets you would have dealt away in the idea you proposed in combination with a LW to get something that you know will work out. You will kick yourself for throwing away next year's first rounder when Bryz stinks up the joint. Frankly there are not a lot of Gs who will do well behind the Oil. They suck, plain and simple.

If you can stream backup Gs I would do that before I rolled Bryz as a regular. That way you are taking your shots when you want to, instead of standing Bryz up in front of a storm and hoping for the best.
    I agree with Glatt, but if that doesn't work out, what is the rule on bringing Ramo up from the farm and simply dropping Dubnyk for another prospect?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    Bryz is only worth a free pickup if you don't have to dump something of value to fit him

if you have to pay to get him or dump something that is actually valuable he isn't even close to worth grabbing
    Exactly, he might be worth a try but ONLY if you can dump him, without care, as soon as things go south. You might be better served grabbing a guy like Fasth and stashing him away in hopes Hiller gets moved sooner than later.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Superstar

Thanks for all the pointers. I'll keep my assets then and pass on Bryz.

In terms of prospects, I can call Ramo up or send him down at will. Prospects can only be added through our offseason draft (any player under 100 games played is eligible. There may be some loopholes we should close there, but it works well enough).

I would love to stash Fasth, but he was picked up sometime last season. Goalies aren't the easiest to come by in our league.