Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: WTF is wrong with Philly?

Dobber Sports Legend

Homer glasses off - what Emery did to Holtby was no different (actually worse) than what Scott attempted to do to Kessel. Bullying a physically-inferior player into fighting against their will is not cool... unless the player instigates then tries to hide behind the officials (which Holtby didn't do). I mean, it's hockey, it happens but.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Homer glasses off - what Emery did to Holtby was no different (actually worse) than what Scott attempted to do to Kessel. Bullying a physically-inferior player into fighting against their will is not cool... unless the player instigates then tries to hide behind the officials (which Holtby didn't do). I mean, it's hockey, it happens but.
    I agree with you.. About as classless move as they come!

And yes its hockey, but there is still a code
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    And yes its hockey, but there is still a code
    Negative.

The code has been long gone. Once players started dressing like gladiators and the league put the Instigator rule in place the code vanished.

In fact, the reason Emery attacked Holtby was because there is no longer a code. In the 80s, Emery would have known if he did such a thing, one of the Caps enforcers would attack Giroux or Voracek in retaliation - hence he wouldn't have.

The code was a nuclear arms race - a "don't mess with mine and I won't mess with yours" mentality. Most teams honored the code, and even though there were brawls, enforcers policed the ice so skilled players could perform without taking hits to the head or sticks to the face.

Unfortunately, those days are gone. Kessel and Holtby getting attacked, and the large number of hits to the head over recent years, are the smoking guns. There is no more respect on the ice for the most part. The ONLY players who still have "some" respect for one another are the REAL tough guys - they'll never hit the other guy when they're down or have been hurt.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd argue there still is a hockey code even though some people don't seem to follow it. Example, not to sure how the fight started but Vinny ended up losing some teeth in a fight after the Caps saw Holtby get beaten on. Be interesting to see how they respond their next matchup.

Also, I can think of Boyle being jumped in the playoffs for roughing up Karlsson. I still think there is a code that hockey players follow and know when it's being broken.

Holtby v Emery debacle made me think of the Price v Thomas fight and how it should be handled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251___mEwZA
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Legend

Here is a great article by Brian Burke on the importance of fighting in the NHL. I agree with him completely but I also think Emery crossed the line.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Here is a great article by Brian Burke on the importance of fighting in the NHL. I agree with him completely but I also think Emery crossed the line.
    Good read!
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    There are some serious drugs being smoked atg nhl.com right now, or someone is playing a practical joke. They have Ray Emery listed as the 3rd star of the game.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/box...id=sb:boxscore
    The guy who selected Emery as third star is now explaining his reasoning. From http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4153--nhl.html

“I didn’t pick him as a traditional third star because he played a good game,” said Seravalli. “I happened to find it entertaining.”

His argument was that Emery got the crowd going, and that even his teammates didn’t have a problem with his actions.

“It was a circus of a game and I found that part of it to be entertaining,” he said. “From all the Flyers players I’ve talked to, none of them had a problem with it.”

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

Lol, as long as he had a reason! What a plug.

Also Shanahan is a plug. Saying he didn't like what Emery did. Well you are kind of the guy responsible for league discipline but nbd

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    The guy who selected Emery as third star is now explaining his reasoning. From http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4153--nhl.html
    Frank is a smacked ass, as 90% of the Flyers' beat writers are. Him selecting Emery as the 3rd star was par for the course with the joke that has become the Philadelphia Flyers this season.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Well what are the Flyer players supposed to say? The truth?

"We stunk the joint out, then acted like a bunch of neanderthals. How 'Emie' was selected a star after that debacle of a game is just plain stupidity".

Then again, who really gives a crap?

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Lol, as long as he had a reason! What a plug.

Also Shanahan is a plug. Saying he didn't like what Emery did. Well you are kind of the guy responsible for league discipline but nbd
    Incidents such as this make it difficult to take seriously Sheriff Shanny and his "discipline".

Suspend all the Kaletas and Scotts of the league all you want, but until the starters or more marquee players are disciplined with equal force, the issue of player safety remains farcical at best.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

How happy is Mike Richards right now.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Another loss in OT, man they stink...

Dobber Sports Ninja

I thought Giroux was finally gonna score his first goal on the empty net.

NOPE LOL

Dobber Sports Wizard

Hartnell scores for the 1st time in forever and of course he's on my bench... argh.... time to sell high!
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50