Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: WTF is wrong with Philly?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Apparently, your wife/girlfriend....on the table, over the table...
    That's what his team mates were thinking last night.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm probably biased because I'm a Holtby owner, but after watching the video again of Emery basically assaulting Holtby and the idiot ref (who should be FIRED by the way) who let it all happen and even went further by waving people off who were trying to help while Emery was pummeling the back of Holtby's defenseless head.... it just makes my blood boil.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-philadelphia/

Here are some of the flyer's quotes after the game:

“He didn’t want to fight and I basically said, ‘Protect yourself,’” Emery said. “He didn’t really have much of a choice.”
    In the real world... wouldn't that be called ASSAULT?!?!?

“When you’re getting slapped around like that it’s a response,” Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren said. “Do I have an issue with it? Probably not. It’s a response.”
    That about says it all... this guy is such a ****ing classless moron.

I think above all though, what was most embarrassing is how the Caps all handled this... from the players to the front office they looked like pussies to a man. They lost every single fight and showed no spirit. How the HELL do they let someone assault their goalie like that and not step in? In Toronto, during a PRESEASON game you had Clarkson jumping the boards to defend Kessel for MUCH less. What a joke... way to solidify your reputation as one of the softest teams in the league.

The only thing Oates could offer up after the game was this pathetically weak sound byte:
    “There was a referee there, I’m not sure what his guidelines are in terms of should he help out there because there are other altercations going on,” Oates said. “I really shouldn’t comment on that until we get word from the league.”

What an embarrassment... man up and stick up for your players. Ugh... I'm so pissed!
    Last edited by blayze; November 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yea i didnt like emery mollywhoppin holtby like that... it was akin to like derek engelland and giroux fighting and noone stepping in. Caps should be ashamed of themselves... or maybe they jus dont like holtby hah

But they didnt lose all the fights tho... wilson ill say took a draw with simmer and volpatti beat the piss out of downie.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'm probably biased because I'm a Holtby owner, but after watching the video again of Emery basically assaulting Holtby and the idiot ref (who should be FIRED by the way) who let it all happen and even went further by waving people off who were trying to help while Emery was pummeling the back of Holtby's defenseless head.... it just makes my blood boil.

“He didn’t want to fight and I basically said, ‘Protect yourself,’” Emery said. “He didn’t really have much of a choice.”

“When you’re getting slapped around like that it’s a response,” Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren said. “Do I have an issue with it? Probably not. It’s a response.”

I think above all though, what was most embarrassing is how the Caps all handled this... from the players to the front office they looked like pussies to a man. They lost every single fight and showed no spirit. How the HELL do they let someone assault their goalie like that and not step in? In Toronto, during a PRESEASON game you had Clarkson jumping the boards to defend Kessel for MUCH less. What a joke... way to solidify your reputation as one of the softest teams in the league.

The only thing Oates could offer up after the game was this pathetically weak sound byte:
    “There was a referee there, I’m not sure what his guidelines are in terms of should he help out there because there are other altercations going on,” Oates said. “I really shouldn’t comment on that until we get word from the league.”

What an embarrassment... man up and stick up for your players. Ugh... I'm so pissed!
    I think this explains the underachievement for both organizations the last few years.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I dont really blame emery. He was jus letting off some steam on holtbys brains hahah down 7-0

Sent from chicago to play a significant role on a winning team and its this kinda train wreck... he jus let his frustrations get the best of him and he knew they wouldnt let him fight a skater... again its holtby teammates who should be ashamed... i hope they take him out for dinner when he stops seein stars

Dobber Sports Stud

Emery-Holtby display is clearly a case where the game can do without fighting. In RARE circumstances where the goalie can't protect himself and the other guy continues, every team should have someone that will take those 10 games and jump the bench to deal with it if the refs can't. I can't remember who it was against, but this same thing happend a few year's back with Emery (I think it was Biron/Buf??) and one of the top dog enforcer's jumped in. It was a much more even balanced scrap, given Emery's boxing background.
    If no one is on the ice, take the 10 games I'd say, this is your starter goalie.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I see a perfect fit in Montreal for Wayne Simmonds.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Yeah, it's a split shutout. Neither goalie will get credit for a shutout in the stats though.
    TSN boxscore has holtby playing 60 minutes and credited with a shutout.

Neurvith is also listed as not playing in the game.

The Great One

Steve Downie is out with a concussion.

And Vincent Lecavlier is on the injured list, with a "head injury."

But I certainly agree on two points:

1. Philadelphia's is a gong show.

2. Someone, ANYONE, on Washington should have jumped Emery. From behind, whatever. It doesn't matter. Someone has to jump in...

Dobber Sports Sage

+1 I couldn't agree more. Well said. Glad to see Philly lost 2 important players because of their BS temper tantrum.

Dobber Sports Stud

Someone should have Todd Bertuzzi'd the back of Emery's head. That would make him think twice next time about going after goalies who don't fight.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    TSN boxscore has holtby playing 60 minutes and credited with a shutout.

Neurvith is also listed as not playing in the game.
    Last night, most boxscores had Holtby only playing 55 minutes. So I figured he had to have been off the ice for his fighting major (or was briefly injured and examined).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Last night, most boxscores had Holtby only playing 55 minutes. So I figured he had to have been off the ice for his fighting major (or was briefly injured and examined).
    TSN had that too, for a bit, but revised it.

The NHL boxscore today has Holtby playing 60 minutes and credited wtih a shut out.

I only saw the highlights, but I have to assume that the box scores from today are correct?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lots of things in the NHL would be assault in the real world. I agree someone should have stepped in and stopped the fight or helped Holtby, but there was no assault here. Kessel on John Scott, John Scott on Eriksson, any cross-check, and slash, all of that stuff is assault in the "Real World". Lets not be silly now.

Dobber Sports Stud

Ray Emery is a joke!!! That is all