Thread: 3-D Pretenders or Contenders?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Smile 3-D Pretenders or Contenders?

Ok, I own these 3 defenseman which are off to a decent start. I'm just curious if these guys can keep up their current pace (point predictions welcome):

Krug: 6pts (0.60ppg) Contraire to all the critics, Boston seems to have a lot of faith in him giving him loads of PP1 time. He's not big but shoots a lot. I personally feel he is the real deal. I think he and Hamilton have a great future together.

Wiercioch: 5pts (0.56ppg). Not quite sure about this one. He was suppose replace Gonchar, but so far despite the decent production, has been a suspect to healthy scratches. He gets a lot of PP1 time with Karlsson, but how long will it last?

Muzzin: 5pts (0.71ppg). I will assume it was because of his play in his own zone that got him 4 scratches in a row, but it appears L.A dishes out a new defensive prospect every year (ie Voynov last year). Many believe he is behind Voynov and Doughty (and probably deservingly so), but can the coaching staff avoid his ppg and offensive ability much longer?

Thoughts? As always, thanks again!!

Dobber Sports Expert

For this season...

CONTENDER...Krug.

He's seeing roughly 18 minutes a night, 1st PP time [if you can call the split Julien uses 1st PP time] and a small role occasionally killing penalties. This tells me he's pretty solidly placed in the 2nd pairing and the coach doesn't just like him for his offense, but he's learning the other side of the puck too. 35+ points seems super reasonable with over 10 goals...and a shot at 40+.

PRETENDERS...Wiercioch and Muzzin.

This isn't meant to be a knock on their overall ability or long-term success, but rather how I see this shaking out this season. Wiercioch is getting 3rd pairing minutes [15ish per game] with a heavy dose of 1st PP time and zero PK. Basically the coach doesn't trust him in anything other than sheltered minutes. If he was blowing up offensively I could change my tune, but this is a recipe for mediocrity.

Muzzin is in a similar situation. 15 minutes a game, 2nd PP time and zero PK. This is a step down from Wiercioch's situation [where he at least sees #1 PP time].

I see both these guys as borderline 25+ point D this season.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Pro

Krug is definitely for real. Unreal hockey sense, what a great free agent signing by Boston. Wiercioch will get some points simply because beyond Karlsson there's just no other options in Ottawa. Muzzin is the one I'm not sure about...and he's the only one of the three I own in any of my fantasy leagues!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jake44 View Post
    Ok, I own these 3 defenseman which are off to a decent start. I'm just curious if these guys can keep up their current pace (point predictions welcome):

Krug: 6pts (0.60ppg) Contraire to all the critics, Boston seems to have a lot of faith in him giving him loads of PP1 time. He's not big but shoots a lot. I personally feel he is the real deal. I think he and Hamilton have a great future together.

Wiercioch: 5pts (0.56ppg). Not quite sure about this one. He was suppose replace Gonchar, but so far despite the decent production, has been a suspect to healthy scratches. He gets a lot of PP1 time with Karlsson, but how long will it last?

Muzzin: 5pts (0.71ppg). I will assume it was because of his play in his own zone that got him 4 scratches in a row, but it appears L.A dishes out a new defensive prospect every year (ie Voynov last year). Many believe he is behind Voynov and Doughty (and probably deservingly so), but can the coaching staff avoid his ppg and offensive ability much longer?

Thoughts? As always, thanks again!!

Krug is the real deal. Wiercioch is insanly over rated and Muzzin is not even in the same planet as either Voynov or Doughty.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.