Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need Ruling! Guy drops Logan Couture - What to do?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    It's possible in Yahoo, without due diligence, to drop a player by mistake. If you happen to mistakenly click the player above or below the guy you want and go immediately to continue and then on the next page, assuming you have the right player just hit 'drop player' without looking again at their name. And you might not even notice what you have actually done for quite a while after. That's sloppy, but can happen.

Whether you have the first priority or not isn't very relevant - just take that out of the decision making process. What is the right thing to do for your league? Based on your history, your league culture, the believability of this guy, and so on - make the decision based solely on what the right thing to do is. I think only you can determine that.

I tend to give guys the benefit of the doubt and undo the drop - and warn everyone to be diligent in their drops and accepting of trades. If I win a league I don't want it to be on the back of some guy who made a mistake.
    I'm the commissioner of my league and I have to agree with this.

I also bolded the top part of Shoeless' post because I've actually found that with Yahoo's interface, it's very easy for there to be mixups just based on their design. Whenever I try to edit my trading block, the check boxes aren't lined up properly with the players/categories. No idea if it's a web browser issue or whatever, but Yahoo isn't perfect.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But that's just me.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If the GM actually called the commissioner to say it was a mistake, it should be overturned.
    Also, think about this from a 3rd vantage point... if your main competitor has the #1 waiver pick and is about to get Couture:
    i) do you actually make this thread? or
    ii) would you have made an effort (advised DummyX) to get Couture returned to his previous team?

(Be honest with yourself here.)

Return Couture to his previous team.

[As an aside... I'm guessing that your team is fairly strong already and that is was one of your competitors that saw the drop and realized Couture would be yours. Your competitor then phones DummyX, who dropped Couture, and gave him hell and then told DummyX to call the commissioner and "say" it was a mistake. However, this is all "speculation" and can't be proven... but, unfortunately, I'd bet this is the real story behind the "mistake". If I could put on my inspector hat, I'd bet there is another phone call on DummyX's phone log between the time-of-drop and the call-to-commissioner. LOL. ]
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM.

Dobber Sports Pro

As mentioned by others.
    Give him back Couture.
    These days trying to edit lines or make transactions on an iphone, it's easy enough to hit the wrong button. It's a technological mishap and he identified it right away. The commish can fix it quickly and no one gains an advantage. If anything, this misdrop will cost the GM a move for the week (assuming there's a cap).
    I'm all for being very competitive, but sportsmanship and understanding are more important values.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

Whether you have the first priority or not isn't very relevant - just take that out of the decision making process. What is the right thing to do for your league? Based on your history, your league culture, the believability of this guy, and so on - make the decision based solely on what the right thing to do is. I think only you can determine that.

I tend to give guys the benefit of the doubt and undo the drop - and warn everyone to be diligent in their drops and accepting of trades. If I win a league I don't want it to be on the back of some guy who made a mistake.
    important point in bold here.
    this has nothing to do with you and is an opportunity to clarify or develop a league policy that could save your ass down the line when you drop someone by accident.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    As mentioned by others.
    Give him back Couture.
    These days trying to edit lines or make transactions on an iphone, it's easy enough to hit the wrong button. It's a technological mishap and he identified it right away. The commish can fix it quickly and no one gains an advantage. If anything, this misdrop will cost the GM a move for the week (assuming there's a cap).
    I'm all for being very competitive, but sportsmanship and understanding are more important values.
    Dont' necessarily disagree Robmyatt, but this does open the door for interpretation...UNLESS...any mistakenly dropped player can be reversed within a given time span. Couture or Downie or Ott or Neil... I think it's important to focus less on the calibre of player and more on how the GM in question treats the error. (Immediate call to the commish, or too lazy to notice until the issue is brought up by other GM's.).

Mistakes happen true...if you choose to reverse mistakes, then I think it's important to reverse all mistakes. If you choose to take a hard line, then I think it's important to maintain that hard line in all circumstances. Consistency is key and will avoid scrutiny down the road. Best of luck.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

Mistakes happen true...if you choose to reverse mistakes, then I think it's important to reverse all mistakes. If you choose to take a hard line, then I think it's important to maintain that hard line in all circumstances. Consistency is key and will avoid scrutiny down the road. Best of luck.
    Precisely. The problem with the loosey goosey approach that many are suggesting here is that it is wide open to abuse. As a commish you have to be cognizant of that and ensure that you aren't setting bad precedents. Whatever you choose to do in this case, make sure the parameters of the decision are clearly defined for all because it can and will happen again and you want to make sure everyone understands the policy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I was ruled against. The reason basically because he called the commish so quickly and the player was too good so they knew it was an accident he said. He was penalized. He drafts last no matter what place he comes in nect year, roster is frozen a week aand Couture cannot play for 5 games. everybody in our league has one of these "passes" now at that same expense.
    12 team Yahoo! Rot
    Goals, Assists, +/-, PIM, gwg, PPP,
    Goalies - Sv%, GAA, s/o, wins
    82 games max C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G
    Keep 11 roster players

C - Stamkos,Mackinnon, Stepan
    LW - Hall,JVR,Drouin,
    RW - Wheeler,Voracek, Perron
    D - Subban,Carlson, Markov, Franson, Niskanen,
    G - Andersen,Elliot,Lehtonen