Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Ruling! Guy drops Logan Couture - What to do?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Need Ruling! Guy drops Logan Couture - What to do?

Guy in our league (team in sig) drops Couture for MayRay.
    He shortly after called up the commish, said he didn't mean to drop him.
    It is a twelve team keeper league and I have 1st priority.
    What should happen here?
    12 team Yahoo! Rot
    Goals, Assists, +/-, PIM, gwg, PPP,
    Goalies - Sv%, GAA, s/o, wins
    82 games max C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G
    Keep 11 roster players

C - Stamkos,Mackinnon, Stepan
    LW - Hall,JVR,Drouin,
    RW - Wheeler,Voracek, Perron
    D - Subban,Carlson, Markov, Franson, Niskanen,
    G - Andersen,Elliot,Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Very tough call. You can nullify the move, allow it to stand or split the baby in half. If you're going to nullify the move, the GM should face some kind of penalty in my book.

If all else fails, consider putting it to a vote.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In general, if I were Commish and this is someone I know I would recognize it as an error and 'make whole' and communicate an explanation to rest of league. I would make it clear to the GM in question that this is a one-off.

Also, no penalty - this is supposed to be fun, right? I also wouldn't put it to a league vote - the Commish needs to be the decision maker in this case and take charge.

Realize others may disagree, but just my view.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Banned

i say 'tough shit'...I always make sure I include a clause in the official rules that explicitly spells out how each GM is 110% responsible for their team and that any 'dog ate my homework' type excuses are not valid in any way.

the only thing you might want to consider is the scenario where it's an honest mistake, like where the web page glitches or the GM clicks the wrong thing totally unintentionally. What you can do there is say 'if you email the commish within 5-10 mins of an inadvertent drop it can be reversed, otherwise tough'

The Great One

+1. If it's clearly an honest mistake, then that's what I do too.

I realize this will make some people really angry, but they are generally angry to begin with...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRinks View Post
    In general, if I were Commish and this is someone I know I would recognize it as an error and 'make whole' and communicate an explanation to rest of league. I would make it clear to the GM in question that this is a one-off.

Also, no penalty - this is supposed to be fun, right? I also wouldn't put it to a league vote - the Commish needs to be the decision maker in this case and take charge.

Realize others may disagree, but just my view.
    I second this course of action. Believe it or not, some people who are in hockey pools aren't as computer literate (or Yahoo literate) as they probably should be (old guys for example!).

I know several guys in different pools that struggle every year getting set up for the draft and even making roster changes. Yahoo changing things up also throws these non-tech savvy guys for a loop sometimes.

Cut the guy some slack, it's pretty obvious that it was in error, no?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I second this course of action. Believe it or not, some people who are in hockey pools aren't as computer literate (or Yahoo literate) as they probably should be (old guys for example!).

I know several guys in different pools that struggle every year getting set up for the draft and even making roster changes. Yahoo changing things up also throws these non-tech savvy guys for a loop sometimes.

Cut the guy some slack, it's pretty obvious that it was in error, no?
    see if your league is 'just for fun' then sure who cares? If no money is involved and it's just for bragging rights or beers or something among friends then yeah who cares? But I don't play in leagues like that, and I think many folks on these forums are in the same boat...if you're in a highly competitive league with knowledgeable GMs then you can't allow this kind of thing, you gotta be completely by the book...that might seem harsh but everyone plays by the exact same rules...plus like I said, if it's an honest mistake and you make a post to your league email list or to a league page that is within 5-10 mins of the inadvertent drop then I think that's fine but outside of that? too bad...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Depends on the player, the experience of the owner, and the amount of time passed. If a dude drops Crosby, that's obviously by accident. If a guy drops like Hertl, well then he probably did it on purpose and regrets it. I think if he drops a good player (like Couture) and within the hour or a couple hours realizes he accidentally dropped the wrong player then the Comish should add him back. If it's like a day later, well he just screwed up. It wasn't an accident. I would reverse it, no penalty, and this is how we do it in our money league.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Depends on the player, the experience of the owner, and the amount of time passed. If a dude drops Crosby, that's obviously by accident. If a guy drops like Hertl, well then he probably did it on purpose and regrets it. I think if he drops a good player (like Couture) and within the hour or a couple hours realizes he accidentally dropped the wrong player then the Comish should add him back. If it's like a day later, well he just screwed up. It wasn't an accident. I would reverse it, no penalty, and this is how we do it in our money league.
    do you wipe your GMs asses for them too?

why does it matter whether it was a good player or not? If you're not going to hold your GMs responsible for properly managing their own teams then why even bother? How the hell you can allow it to go days is baffling but there you have it, that's par for the course I guess

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dropping someone outright is far more difficult to do than accidentally accepting a trade. At least in yahoo. I could see someone considering a trade and then accidentally clicking accept rather than decline. 1 click is all it takes. Some latitude I feel is fair in that case . But the pretty much make accidentally dropping a player damn near impossible. Good learning experience. I'd let the drop stand.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks a lot for the words.
    I honestly feel it's kinda silly for the guy to be able to play the dumb guy card. I get not everybody is tech savvy but this is $150 dollar keeper - Yahoo! does make it pretty tough to drop players and re-add others. I feel like it should be a learning experience as well, I also have first priority and am probably bias so thought I'd get a feel for what you all thought before the commissioner rules.
    12 team Yahoo! Rot
    Goals, Assists, +/-, PIM, gwg, PPP,
    Goalies - Sv%, GAA, s/o, wins
    82 games max C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G
    Keep 11 roster players

C - Stamkos,Mackinnon, Stepan
    LW - Hall,JVR,Drouin,
    RW - Wheeler,Voracek, Perron
    D - Subban,Carlson, Markov, Franson, Niskanen,
    G - Andersen,Elliot,Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    do you wipe your GMs asses for them too?

why does it matter whether it was a good player or not? If you're not going to hold your GMs responsible for properly managing their own teams then why even bother? How the hell you can allow it to go days is baffling but there you have it, that's par for the course I guess
    Lol. You're so angry all the time. Calm down bro you're embarrassing yourself. I just said if it's a couple hours reverse it, if it's more don't. I don't see where you're getting this days thing.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It's possible in Yahoo, without due diligence, to drop a player by mistake. If you happen to mistakenly click the player above or below the guy you want and go immediately to continue and then on the next page, assuming you have the right player just hit 'drop player' without looking again at their name. And you might not even notice what you have actually done for quite a while after. That's sloppy, but can happen.

Whether you have the first priority or not isn't very relevant - just take that out of the decision making process. What is the right thing to do for your league? Based on your history, your league culture, the believability of this guy, and so on - make the decision based solely on what the right thing to do is. I think only you can determine that.

I tend to give guys the benefit of the doubt and undo the drop - and warn everyone to be diligent in their drops and accepting of trades. If I win a league I don't want it to be on the back of some guy who made a mistake.
    Last edited by Shoeless; October 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    It's possible in Yahoo, without due diligence, to drop a player by mistake. If you happen to mistakenly click the player above or below the guy you want and go immediately to continue and then on the next page, assuming you have the right player just hit 'drop player' without looking again at their name. And you might not even notice what you have actually done for quite a while after. That's sloppy, but can happen.
    Yes...very unlikely and very sloppy. If a guy accidentally drafted the wrong guy because he was qeued and revising another, then forgot to change before hitting "draft".., is said GM granted a "do over"? Nope... And that mistake happened (lots I'm sure) while under timed duress.

If I get drunk and accidentally offer up the wrong player in a trade...which is nearly the exact number of steps as it would be to drop a player...can I request the "accepted" trade be reversed? Nope...only if it is veto-able...and rarely do trades get vetoed.

I think some flexibility should exist to deal with newbies and obvious errors, the most obvious is that 1 click "accept" when "reject" was intended. To actually consider dropping a player requires minimally selecting that player and and clicking "yes I'm sure". That's rediculously sloppy ... Maybe even attention grabbing intentionally. While I agree with some flexibility, I also feel guys need to be accountable for their actions...I'd be more concerned about setting president for being a coddling GM. How do you deny a do over next time someone is sloppy?

[/QUOTE]I tend to give guys the benefit of the doubt and undo the drop - and warn everyone to be diligent in their drops and accepting of trades. If I win a league I don't want it to be on the back of some guy who made a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Real GM's make mistakes all the time. And others benefit from said mistakes. How do you want to run your league? Only you can judge that answer IMO.

Banned

I don't see where you're getting this days thing.

from you of course:

If it's like a day later, well he just screwed up. It wasn't an accident. I would reverse it, no penalty