Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IR+: Yahoo's shiny new toy

The Wolverine

Default IR+: Yahoo's shiny new toy

Well, guess what Yahoo has suddenly announced (well, to me anyway)? They've added a new roster position called IR+, which allows managers to put both IR and DTD players into that slot. They added the link at the top of leagues:

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...RTS_FAN_HOCKEY

I may be in the minority but I feel this is poor timing on their part as this should've introduced at the beginning of the season. Because it's their shiny new toy - perhaps trying to make up for the shoddy re-design - they are essentially recommending to commissioners to add it to our leagues post-draft.

However, do they realise that having this available affect team strategy? How would have managers drafted knowing that they could've had these slots? If some managers recommend adding this now, would that change how they are managing their teams? Some would like it but I'm sure some won't.

I know commissioners have a choice to add it or not but it sends the wrong message. I always suggest to commissioners that they never change settings post-draft, so I would include this as such a change. I do know that I don't plan on suggesting it in the league I run.

What do you all think? Do you agree? I am overreacting? (possible)

Dobber Sports Pro

Ask and you shall receive.....I asked for that feature to be added in the feedback forum for Yahoo Hockey.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Star

One year leagues: rules set in stone before the draft.
    Keepers: rule changes take place the next full season.

The most important thing to managing successfully is understanding the rules that govern your strategic decisions. Absolute horsepoop changing those rules mid-season.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Rad64 View Post
    Ask and you shall receive.....I asked for that feature to be added in the feedback forum for Yahoo Hockey.
    I have nothing against the new feature in general. But don't you think the timing is wrong?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like the rule/options - but really poor timing on their part.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Banned

I agree with you in principal...and in fact we take a very similar approach in my leagues where it is VERY uncommon to change any league rule or setting during the actual season because it has the potential to help some teams and negatively impact others.

But that said, I don't think this particular feature would have a huge impact either way...still if your league is as competitive as mine are then I'm sure your GMs claw tooth and nail for every little advantage

Something you might want to consider is to implement it after a full set of matchups have been played. So for example, if your league is H2H and you have 12 teams, implement it after 11 matchups have been played...that way each team has played each opponent once and can't really argue that anyone is getting preferential treatment...that plus it gives everyone plenty of heads up that this WILL be implemented an they can all plan accordingly.

Dobber Sports Ace

In a league where you also have a max number of FA pickups, you could make the change now. Increases flexibility, especially for situations where a player in on DTD for 2 weeks, but with a reasonable max # of moves, I don't think there'd be much affect.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Rad64 View Post
    Man, I asked them to stop ''randomly'' having me draft towards the end in all of my leagues (NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA)... Guess they were busy fixing your issue!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

First off, I love the idea behind the feature. The NHL's IR rules are very technical and given that a player can be retroactively placed on the IR their is little motivation to immediately put a hurt player on IR. Having a player retroactively IR'd is of little assistance to a fantasy manager.

That being said I completely agree with horrorfan. Had teams known this feature was going to become available Band-Aid boys would have carried more value during draft time as all of those non-IR level injuries are now covered. This is certainly a more minor change but it's a change none the less and those should occur during the offseason.

If my league was in a yahoo league I'd probably be OK adding it, there is no team in my league that will noticeably be helped or hindered by it. But yeah I really don't get the timing.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Pro

Sure the timing is wrong, but I like the fact they are workign on improvements suggested by their users.

I do like the new feedback forum where you can post new ideas and vote for existing ones. Everyone using Yahoo should take a look around, vote and post new ideas for improvements.

The ideas are visible to all users (rather than disappearing into Yahoo Support's garbage can) and it's hard to ignore requests for changes if there are tons of votes. I posted a request to fix up Position Eligibility, as well, and it's marked as planned. Can't hurt to ask for improvements....
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Pro

The strange thing is you can't simply exchange your IR slots to IR+ (or delete the regular IR, while adding IR+). Right now, you can only add IR+ slots.

I'd like an option, where commisioner can choose whether their existing IR slots would be IR only, IR and DTD, or even IR, DTD and NA.

But I agree with most, it's not the best timing.
    12 teams, Yahoo H2H, daily, keep 5.

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN, IR+
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Pettersson
    LW: M.Tkachuk (+RW), Zucker (+RW), Coleman (+RW), N.Foligno (+C)
    RW: Kucherov, Svechnikov (+LW), W.Nylander (+C), Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Hughes,Doughty, Ekblad, Hronek, McNabb, Cernak
    G: Lehner, Grubauer, Francouz
    IR+:

My Yahoo league is pretty deep and has already the maximum 30 spots accounted for. I thought I would experiment a bit and look at changing my 4 IR slots to 2 IR and 2 IR+; however, Yahoo will not allow you to exceed the maximum of 30 spots for your team and it will also not allow you to lessen the amount of IR spots you already have allocated.

Might be worth pursuing next year, but then again maybe not, at least as far as a Commish is concerned. It is already more than a bit of a pain in the ass to chase GMs to move their players off of IR when it happens in the NHL. I don't even want to think about how much more you have to chase guys to take their players off of IR+.

Personally, I would've been a lot happier to see Yahoo finally add farm teams.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    One year leagues: rules set in stone before the draft.
    Keepers: rule changes take place the next full season.

The most important thing to managing successfully is understanding the rules that govern your strategic decisions. Absolute horsepoop changing those rules mid-season.
    Thumbs up.

If I recall, I swear I saw that they also implemented a "NA" slot.
    I thought that was kind kind of neat because it would allow teams to put farm players into those slots, which has always been a short-fall to Yahoo.

However, it would also allow somebody to put a suspended David Clarkson into that slot. And, if I knew there was going to be a "NA" slot when I drafted, I would have possibly drafted Clarkson in some leagues.

Anyways, I agree with FHG.
    Even if Yahoo! is making some fancy tweaks... they should not be implemented in any leagues this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Thumbs up.

If I recall, I swear I saw that they also implemented a "NA" slot.
    I thought that was kind kind of neat because it would allow teams to put farm players into those slots, which has always been a short-fall to Yahoo.

However, it would also allow somebody to put a suspended David Clarkson into that slot. And, if I knew there was going to be a "NA" slot when I drafted, I would have possibly drafted Clarkson in some leagues.

Anyways, I agree with FHG.
    Even if Yahoo! is making some fancy tweaks... they should not be implemented in any leagues this year.
    The NA slot would not work for farm players because Yahoo still has a maximum of 30 slots available for your team, which would include the IR, IR+ and probably NA too.

The Wolverine

IR doesn't count as a roster slot, so if you wanted to add IR+ you could just add them on top of your existing roster structure.

Edit: I just did a test league with 30 rostered players (5C,5L,5R,8D,2G,5BN), plus 5 IR, 5 IR+ and 5 NA.
    Last edited by horrorfan; October 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM.