Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pronger officially done

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    No sympathy here either but, how many teams did he take to the finals?
    Great hockey player for sure. Just too bad he was an *******. He's no different than Matt Cooke or Kaletta except that he's got talent and because of that he got a lot of breaks when he basically killed guys.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Ninja

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    The Hockey News had a two-page spread on Pronger in the last issue. Some highlights:

[LIST][*]If he doesn't retire before his contract is up, he can't get into the Hall of Fame until 2020.
    [*]The only time he's been on the ice since the injury was to have small practices with his kids.
    [*]He had major issues at the beginning of the injury, "when he would stumble around his house in the dark."
    Thanks for this newf!

I'm pretty sure Pronger values that money over his eventual place in the HHOF. He's deserving of a first ballot entry with his resumé. Family first though.

There is no truth to the rumour that when he was on the ice with his kids, he ran the eldest into the boards from behind and earned a one game suspension.

After all these years, I just realized that I may have a concussion ("when he would stumble around his house in the dark").
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Grand Master

More from the sense of, if the NHL knows that Pronger will never play again the should have some basic grounds to force Pronger to sign his retirement papers or penalize Philly for cap circumvention. While there is nothing strictly in the CBA, they fined the Devils quite heavily for cap circumvention with the Kovalchuk deal. They now have clear grounds. Pronger will never play again and Philly is using the LTIR designation to circumvent the cap.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    More from the sense of, if the NHL knows that Pronger will never play again the should have some basic grounds to force Pronger to sign his retirement papers or penalize Philly for cap circumvention. While there is nothing strictly in the CBA, they fined the Devils quite heavily for cap circumvention with the Kovalchuk deal. They now have clear grounds. Pronger will never play again and Philly is using the LTIR designation to circumvent the cap.
    Problem is, the NHL can't force someone to sign retirement papers. I don't even know if you could legally do that. There are lots of former NHL players who never signed retirement papers for whatever reason.

And Philly can't be penalized for cap circumvention, unless you plan on penalizing Boston for always putting Savard on the LTIR as well.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

No one can say with absolute certainty that he will never play again. Its all opinion. He could have a recovery starting tomorrow. Its unlikely, but it is possible. Therefore, he will never sign retirement papers. He will collect his salary and he will be on the LTIR until the end of the contract.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The whole Pronger debacle is a mix of sad and interesting. He was certainly a dirty player, but had heaps of success. It's probably very humbling for him to be so vunerable after being such a bully for so long.

I agree that Holmgren's comment don't change anything with respect to Pronger's retirement. If the NHL tried to force Pronger to retire the NHLPA lose its mind and fight tooth and nail to block such an action (remember if Pronger retires he doesn't get paid) the NHLPA would never allow such a precedent as it would be a very real shot to the status of guaranteed contracts.

I do wonder what the insurer paying out all these millions of dollars to Pronger year after year thinks. It obviously knows Pronger will never play again, depending on the terms of the insurance contract perhaps it could deny his claim going forward citing "no reasonable chance of returning to play" or other similar language.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR