Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chiasson, Brunner, Hertl, Monahan, Setoguchi, Trouba

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Chiasson, Brunner, Hertl, Monahan, Setoguchi, Trouba

We only get two waiver wire picks a seasons, and they are costly. Most owners in our league wait until waiver wire deadline to draft them. Some owners take chances early. Sometimes it pays off (i.e. Kadri), sometimes not (i.e. Burnistrov).

I would like to grab at least one of these to help me this year; keeper potential would be bonus:

Chiasson, Brunner, Hertl, Monahan, Setoguchi, and Trouba.

I am leaning toward Brunner (simply a great opportunity). Shall I wait it out, or shall I pounce? Alternatives to Brunner?

Edit - add Jaden Schwartz to the list
    Last edited by Seeds of Grapes; October 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I had all of those guys on my waiver wire as well (granted not the same waiver restrictions) and I choose TMNH. Hertl is also a top 6 player, and I prefer the linemates of Thornton and Burns to whoever is playing with Brunner (Loktionov and Zubrus? Clowe and Elias?)

The Great One

I'd gamble on Hertl. If he keeps playing the way he is, and with the players he is, you soon will not get a chance to snag him.

I would not consider Chiasson or Setoguchi from that list, they seem to have the lowest potential, imo.

And just FYI: it's difficult assessing the "keeper" part, just because I've never seen a league that does keepers based on total points.

Dobber Sports Veteran

1. Hertl
    2. Trouba

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I grabbed both Hertl and Trouba already in our keeper league. I'm a huge Schwartz fan and his eventual LW eligibility (in Yahoo anyway, Hertl too) will be a bonus as well.

My only thoughts as to grabbing two players now as opposed to waiting would be if Drouin is available in your league and is called up to TB. Otherwise those 3 players listed above all seem to present benefits for this year and beyond.

Good luck.
    18-team! H2H Keeper League (10-keepers)
    G, A, PTS, PIM, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, SOG, Hits, BLK (11)
    W, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SO (6)

C: Giroux,Benn,
    Bjugstad,
    LW: Pavelski,Tatar,Roussel
    RW: MacKinnon,Rantanen,Simmonds,Wingels,
    D: Ekblad,Trouba,Hanifan,Phaneuf,Del Zotto,Gudas,
    G: Schneider,C.Anderson,Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

With only two moves, I'd wait beyond the first week.

If you just can't help yourself, I'd go with Brunner.

There's too much uncertainty surrounding the others right now. A lot of these kids seem destined to have bright futures and are even off to good starts, but if you're looking for help this year it's too early to figure out who will be keeping the pace over a very long 82-game season.

Dobber Sports Ace

I like Hertl. I drafted him late. With only 2 ww picks its tough. I think I might wait and see if his good play continues. Getting some pp time. But I like his situation a lot.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    With only two moves, I'd wait beyond the first week.
    That's the dilemna. The prudent thing to do would be to wait, but the owners in my league may not be prudent.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Deity

I think I'd be holding off a little bit and let the dust of the new season settle a bit. I realize it's tempting to jump on an early flyer, but with your limited moves I think patience is the best option here. I am not saying to wait until you HAVE to use them, but simply letting the early season stink blow off a bit before jumping.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Hold off and let someone else acquire the risk. With only 2 moves all year what happens if you pull a major injury?
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would probably add Trouba and drop Lindback.

Trouba may be your second best dman going into next season and you already have a lot of youth with your forward group.
    Points only Keeper - Top 9F 4D 1G
    F: Ovechkin Aho Debrincat Hintz Konecny Horvat Bratt BTkachuk Hagel Novak Mercer WSmith Coronato
    D: Hamilton Doughty Burns Morrissey Klingberg
    G: Jarry Demko

Dobber Sports Giant

I would make a move now, especially with your league format.

13 teams: top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO. (I put the players I feel will not count towards your stats in brackets)
    Protect b/w 375 - 400 points in a full season

F: P Kane, Spezza, RNH, E Kane, Hodgson, Little, Brown, Burns, (Weiss), (Drouin), (Nichushkin)

D: Suter, Campbell, Markov, Goligoski, (Leddy), (MacDonough)

G: Rask, Pavelec, (Thomas), (Lindback)

Hertl is the best player from the list, but with only 26 total moves (13 teams x2 moves =26), your league's managers have to be sure who to target.

I think you are more than OK on D, even if you stumble on a couple of injuries. Your goalies are more than fine as well, unless you have anyone available that is worth a pickup (I figure you don't cause you own Lindback )

If you are going to select anyone, it's gotta be a forward (especially if Burns can be considered a D). That being said, I do not see any guys coming out of nowhere this year (like Kadri last year), at least, not anyone that could be a free agent. Therefore, I think it is safe to say that using one of your 2 picks on a promising forward early on is a risky move, but it is also a CALCULATED move. As I said, your league has 26 moves, but there are not (and will not have) 26 quality players available throughout the year based on the Free Agents you've listed.

I would gamble on Hertl here to help you out (if Burns can count as a D) since he will most likely outpoint Weiss, Nichushkin and Drouin. Worst case scenario, you keep Burns as an F, but at least you know you have a top 6 player on your bench ready to fill in whenever.

You can use your last pick later on as a safety net, baring multiple injuries, but I think it's important to nab the hot players with potential early on as they won't be there later.

EDIT: this is coming from a Brunner and Chiasson owner
    Last edited by Bass56; October 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Padawan

I know you may be gun shy after the Drouin debacle early in the season but I like Hertl's chances in SJ.

I'm also in a league where we have very limited moves...about 4 times per season (unless injury) so I can see your concern.

He's been productive in a brief period (very brief), getting top 6 play, has the draft pedigree, dual position eligibility, and SJ does a decent job of preparing these guys may be in line for more minutes if either Thornton or Marleau move on next season.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

The Great One

I will be quite sad if someone scoops up Hertl before you do...

Dobber Sports Stud

Guess the shine has worn off Brunner around here

If the player you're grabbing here is for this year only I'm 100% going for Brunner. His opportunity in NJ is perfect, he'll be playing with good linemates and being depended on to shoot the puck (12 shots in 2 games!!). There's no chance he's sent down and next to no chance he won't be in a scoring role (they've paid him to score and there's little competition for the spot).

Trouba is a great d-man and I'm a HUGE fan but for this year I dont' think he'll help you enough. I have similar feelings about Hertl.

At the end of the day I'm simply asking myself this: Will ANY of these players potentially be keepers for me? If the answer is 'unlikely' then don't let the keeper factor affect your decision.