Thread: Roster Opinions/Suggestions

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Roster Opinions/Suggestions

This is my first time ever doing a fantasy hockey league (I'm not a huge hockey fan but my cousins needed another person). Now that I'm in it, I find myself actually getting really into it. Unfortunately, the night they did the draft, I was busy, so I had to autodraft. Please let me know if there are any players I should consider dropping if a good free agent becomes available. Or possibly any of my better forwards that I should consider trading for a better goalie or defenceman? These are my players in the order they were drafted. 3 of my top 7 round picks were wasted on mediocre goalies

Steven Stamkos
    Henrik Zetterberg
    Cam Ward
    Chris Kunitz
    Martin Brodeur
    Brian Campbell
    Robin Lehner (dropped him and currently have Ryane Clowe)
    Max Pacioretty
    Radim Vrbata
    Mike Ribeiro
    Pascal Dupuis
    Dennis Wideman
    David Clarkson
    Matt Duchene
    Jonas Hiller
    Jiri Tlusty
    Michael Ryder
    Ray Whitney
    Marek Zidlicky
    Tyson Barrie
    Jared Spurgeon
    Jake Muzzin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Should probably give league details. It's a 10 team league. Points for skaters are based on G, A, +/-, ATOI, SOG, Hits, STP. Points for goalies are based on W, SO, GAA*, SV%*

* Must have at least 3 goalie starts during the week long matchup for GAA and SV% to count

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sorry keep forgetting stuff.

It's head to head
    Player acquisition system is waivers
    Season acquisition limit is unlimited
    Matchup acquisition limit is 7 for a 7 day matchup
    4 votes required to veto a trade

Think that covers most of the details...

Dobber Sports Star

Who is available on the waiver wire would be the only other thing
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Lol, can you tell I'm new to this?

On Waiver there is currently:

Marian Gaborik
    Tyler Ennis (who I traded yesterda for Ryan Clowe cause I needed someone playing yesterday)
    Jordan Staal
    Stephen Weiss
    Dany Heatley

Then some people who are 0% owned and not on any of the rankings list I've seen.

On the FA side, here are the ones that are over 70% owned. Too many to list all of them obviously

Fedor Tyutin
    Adam Henrique
    Jaden Schwartz
    Michael Grabner
    Steve Downie
    Sam Gagner
    Sven Baertschi
    Brayden Schenn

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cool

First glance your priority may need to be to shore up at goalie ,(especially if ANA platoons), and at dman. Off your F/A list I'd favor Gabby over Ryder and Whitney and with no PIM's as a cat I'd see if someone wants to bite on Clarkson,(potentially overvalued for your pool cats), for an upgrade on defence or in the blue paint. Your forwards seem to be your strength right now compared to the rest of your roster so you may want to be open to dealing Kunitz but only if you get a huge return. He may get you more value from someone else than he'll actual produce this year but I'd only consider dealing him if you get a knockout offer. (Pietrangelo, or Howard type return). Hope this helps.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ICEJESTER View Post
    First glance your priority may need to be to shore up at goalie ,(especially if ANA platoons), and at dman. Off your F/A list I'd favor Gabby over Ryder and Whitney and with no PIM's as a cat I'd see if someone wants to bite on Clarkson,(potentially overvalued for your pool cats), for an upgrade on defence or in the blue paint. Your forwards seem to be your strength right now compared to the rest of your roster so you may want to be open to dealing Kunitz but only if you get a huge return. He may get you more value from someone else than he'll actual produce this year but I'd only consider dealing him if you get a knockout offer. (Pietrangelo, or Howard type return). Hope this helps.
    Awesome, thanks! Clarkson could be useful with Hits as a category though, wouldn't he? Well when he is not suspended anymore at least lol. Yeah I can see what the options would be for Kunitz. His main value comes in hits, and probably overall points since he's on good lineups usually?

Any other opinions welcome as well!

Dobber Sports Icon

Welcome to the site

How many teams?
    What are the cats?

List your best Def and goalies on WW(thou if you dropped Lehner im thinking their might not be much)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

10 team H2H each category

G, A, +/-, ATOI, Hits, SOG, SPT
    W, SO, GAA, SV% (3 starts for GAA & SV%)

On waivers there is really no one worth mentioning. Under free agents, currently there are no good options for goalies, but for defence there is Tyutin, Bogosian, Giordano, and a bunch of others that don't seem all that great as of yet

Looking like trades are my only real good options to get quality defence/goalies, unless you think Tyutin would be a quality pickup once he's back to playing. Would you agree with the above poster about trading Kunitz if a worthy trade was available, or would you favour trading another player on my roster instead? Just looking to get some other opinions. For forwards, I will hopefully receive Gaborik off waiver tomorrow morning in exchange for Clowe or Ryder... don't remember which. Decided to keep Whitney in there for now since he's playing tomorrow and for tomorrow's matchup I'm outnumbered so I need all the guys I can get
    Last edited by Carlito99; October 5, 2013 at 1:17 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hey Carlito99 - welcome. You sound hooked already.

What starting positions do you have on your roster? How many of each? Bench size?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

What are the roster positions you have and how many start each day? Bench size?

Good move on picking up Gaborik and dropping Whitney. Do you have IR slots?

How many goalies in total are owned in the league? Yours aren't that bad by the way.
    Last edited by Shoeless; October 5, 2013 at 2:59 AM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    What are the roster positions you have and how many start each day? Bench size?

Good move on picking up Gaborik and dropping Whitney. Do you have IR slots?

How many goalies in total are owned in the league? Yours aren't that bad by the way.
    Lol yea I'm definitely getting hooked!

Starting positions are 9 F, 5 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench. I'm not too sure about the IR slots... I haven't heard anything about them but I'll double check.

Unfortunately someone who was ahead of me in the waiver order also went for Gaborik so I didn't get him .

There are 33 goalies owned (max of 4 per team). The ones owned are Howard, Backstrom, Holtby, Nabokov, Niemi, Dybnyk, Smith, Emery, Rask, Bishop, Quick, Schneider, Bernier, Varmalov, Brodeur, Hiller, Ward, Anderson, Bobrovsky, Lehtonen, Miller, Crawford, Halak, Elliot, Lehner, Lundqvist, Thomas, Rinne, Pavalec, Price, Fleury, Luongo, Reimer

Goalies count for 4 out of 11 point categories, so in this league they carry a decent amount of weight. Kinda sucks that both of mine that I started yesterday lost in OT haha

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm back - sorry I sleep while you guys in North America work and vise versa.

Yeah your goalie luck wasn't great yesterday but the good news is that it looks like Ward has his game on. Unfortunately as a Schneider owner I am rooting against Brodeur. So did Lehner get picked up after you dropped him?

Here is my experience with H2H - you are better off carrying only the number of D guys you need that you can actually roster, if they all play, so you are 1 over the limit. Your bench should be forwards and goalies. So I would pick one of your bottom end D guys to cut loose and pick up Fasth who doesn't appear to be owned. That gives you the Ducks handcuff in goal which will give you lots of goalie starts as Anaheim has the best schedule in the league for avoiding goalie conflicts for starts.

I quite like your forwards and don't mind your D or G. You should have a shot at competing in your matchups each week.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thank you for the suggestion . I will look more closely at the defence guys to see who to drop and pick up Fasth soon

And yeah Lehner got picked up. Was it a bad move to drop him? I juts figured he wouldn't get much ice time (could be totally wrong about that for all I know) so I could use that spot for another forward

Do you think having all 4 goalies would be a good move, or maybe keep Ward, Hiller, Fasth and drop Brodeur? That would ensure a start for Anaheim whenever I choose and a start for Carolina majority of the time I would assume

Finally, just curious, in your experience what has made you feel like having only as many D guys as roster spots is the best way to go? Just looking to learn more
    Last edited by Carlito99; October 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Yahoo - 12 Teams - H2H - Daily Starts
    2L, 2C, 2R, 4D, 2G, 4B, 1IR+
    G, A, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO

L - Huberdeau, Giroux (C,R), Coleman (R)
    C - Bergeron, Larkin
    R - Wheeler (C), Hornqvist, White (C - Streamer)
    D - Letang, DeAngelo, Murphy, Slavin
    G - Rask/Halak, Shesterkin/Georgiev
    IR+ -

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito99 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion . I will look more closely at the defence guys to see who to drop and pick up Fasth soon

And yeah Lehner got picked up. Was it a bad move to drop him? I juts figured he wouldn't get much ice time (could be totally wrong about that for all I know) so I could use that spot for another forward

Do you think having all 4 goalies would be a good move, or maybe keep Ward, Hiller, Fasth and drop Brodeur? That would ensure a start for Anaheim whenever I choose and a start for Carolina majority of the time I would assume

Finally, just curious, in your experience what has made you feel like having only as many D guys as roster spots is the best way to go? Just looking to learn more
    I would hang onto Brodeur.

I frequently run one down on D guys actually - depends on your league set up and if you get enouigh production out of the last of your d guys to offset the extra you get out of another decent forward on your bench.