Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to fantasy league

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Newbie to fantasy league

I just joined a yahoo league and went through the draft. I have never participated in this before and was wondering if there was any info out there giving an overview on how to play, strategy etc.

Thanks

Mstrlucky, first, welcome to the boards, brother. Good to have you on board. Fear not, poolies abound around here, always willing to help. In other words, were an opinionated motley crew.

But seriously, find a thread (probably under 'General Hockey Chat") for your current inquiry, and post away. And don't worry, if you post a query in the wrong section, we'll move it to the proper section with a marker noting as much.

Feel free to pm me with any questions. Oh...don't take any goalie advice from bondon.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Welcome aboard!

There's lots of information out there...finding the right information is key. Dobber's guide is excellent when it comes to player rankings and insights. FantasyTrade411 has a guide that discusses strategies for Roto, H2H, and Auction strategies. Other good sites to check out are Fantasy Hockey Scouts, The Hockey Writers, Roto World to name just a few.

Finally, the forum here is extremely helpful if you have specific questions.

Good luck!
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Administrator

A couple random thoughts:
    -Get involved. Read hockey stuff daily. The more you know about players and their fantasy value, the easier it is to rank the next guy that enters your mind.
    -Learn from others. Even the other GMs in your league. If you follow the moves that everyone else makes you have a much bigger sample size of evaluating decisions and their consequences.
    -Everything is relative. Don't drop a slumping player just because he is sagging in the numbers. Drop him if you see a better alternative on the waiver wire.
    -Fantasy value is league-specific. If your league is points-only then a player's complete game is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is point production. But if your league has multiple categories (hits, PIM, etc) then the "fantasy value" answer changes.
    -Come to this forum for help. Lots of future winners get help from people here who have been there and done that.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

As just said, know your cats.

and...

There's a huge difference between a good hockey player and a good fantasy hockey player.

and...know the coaches, know the players, know positional competition, know special teams, know who's starting, know who's injury prone, know who's injured, know.............................................. .......................

and say goodbye to your social life. you'll spend all your time reading, watching, breathing hockey. your friends won't want to talk to you because all you'll talk about is hockey.
    Last edited by Yardsale; October 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM.
    1-Year 12-team H2H: G/A/+-/PIM/PPP/SOG/SH%/FW/HIT/BLK GS/W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

C: Giroux, Backstrom, Hanzal, Ribeiro
    LW: Nash, Ladd
    RW: Wheeler, Vrbata, Hornqvist
    D: Keith, Streit, Franson, Gardiner
    G: Lunquist, Mason, Luongo
    IR: Stepan

Dobber Sports Stud

If you just went through a draft then post your team (with league details) and let the forum members have a look.

As per above, come to this site for questions (before you make moves is best, not after).

Final thought, there is a definite learning curve so enjoy and learn from your experiences (good and bad)!

PS - welcome to the boards!

Dobber Sports Master

Welcome aboard. This forum is a good place to start. Much knowledge can be gained by reading threads every day. If you wanted to private message people for specific questions, here is a list of members and their expertise:

bondon - all things goalie. He is a freaking genius. Guy should be a coach or a scout.
    MT312 - skating mechanics and overall player appraisal. No one knows as much about skating than him. He has also never been wrong about anything and is probably a better, smarter person than me.
    Dakkster - English language historian and grammatical legend. Funny a Swede knows English better than most native speakers. Your gonna get good value from him in this area.
    For everything else, just search existing threads and post a new question if you cannot find the answer. OR...... just ask Derek Reese!
    Last edited by Atomic Wedgy; October 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks a lot guys, here is my roster. What I don't really know is when to put on waivers when to trade guys etc.

M. Grabovski
    C. Giroux
    R. Whitney
    M. Boedker
    B. wheeler
    B. Bennett
    J. Wisneiwski
    S. voynov
    A. Edler
    S. Jones
    C. Wilson

Bench

C. Tarasenko
    M. Ryder
    T. Plekanec

Goalies

J. Halak
    C. Anderson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Welcome to the forums, read lots of info ... and then read it again!

One thing that is common amongst most posters is not putting in all of the relevant league information. In order to fully evaluate, provide opinions and suggestions we need scoring categories, what type of league, full keeper or partial .... see where I am going with this?

The best place to put this is in your signature. Click on "User CP" in the tool bar up top, on the left hand side.

Select edit signature and put in your league details etc.

Take a look at other poster's sigs for formatting ideas and content.

Cheers and good luck with your first fantasy hockey league.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Rookie

So if Wheeler is not playing tonight and Ryder is but on the bench shouldnt I just switch them then swap them again when Wheeler plays? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
    So if Wheeler is not playing tonight and Ryder is but on the bench shouldnt I just switch them then swap them again when Wheeler plays? Am I thinking about this correctly?
    You are thinking about this correctly and one can only assume from this question that you have daily starts?

Weekly starts and you look at things a little differently. Daily starts with a full roster is also a pain as you have to leave players on the bench, who you choose depends on several factors as well.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys, here is my roster. What I don't really know is when to put on waivers when to trade guys etc.

M. Grabovski
    C. Giroux
    R. Whitney
    M. Boedker
    B. wheeler
    B. Bennett
    J. Wisneiwski
    S. voynov
    A. Edler
    S. Jones
    C. Wilson

Bench

C. Tarasenko
    M. Ryder
    T. Plekanec

Goalies

J. Halak
    C. Anderson
    Well, first, welcome to the boards. Just finding this site is a giant step in the right direction. I wish I'd found it right after my first draft.

Second, if you're looking for pointers, go ahead and put your team and league info into your signature. That is a wise five-minute investment.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Master

Welcome to the boards.

I only got into a H2H league this year that has bench players, and that is what was explained to me how the bench works. Some leagues have limits on the numbers of moves you can make per week, or month or season so keep that in mind.

All of the previous posts stressed "knowing your stuff" about fantasy hockey players, and I agree, but may I also suggest that you get to know your fellow GMs. Figure out who are the ones who tend to undervalue or overrate their players, the ones who make trades just to make trades, the "homers" who grab every member of their favourite team despite the devastating effect it has on their chances to win, and the ones who are just plain ignorant to hockey in general. Once you figure out who they are in your league, exploit them and their weaknesses to your advantage.

"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." - Sun Tzu

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by sixhands View Post
    Welcome to the forums, read lots of info ... and then read it again!

One thing that is common amongst most posters is not putting in all of the relevant league information. In order to fully evaluate, provide opinions and suggestions we need scoring categories, what type of league, full keeper or partial .... see where I am going with this?

The best place to put this is in your signature. Click on "User CP" in the tool bar up top, on the left hand side.

Select edit signature and put in your league details etc.

Take a look at other poster's sigs for formatting ideas and content.

Cheers and good luck with your first fantasy hockey league.
    Thanks Six. It's Yahoo Rotisserie points...does that help! Thanks again

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by sixhands View Post
    You are thinking about this correctly and one can only assume from this question that you have daily starts?

Weekly starts and you look at things a little differently. Daily starts with a full roster is also a pain as you have to leave players on the bench, who you choose depends on several factors as well.
    It's a weekly thing ... I fave another team in the league for the week
    Last edited by Mstrlucky74; October 4, 2013 at 6:01 AM.