Thread: Rinne vs Smith- Rep to be given

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Rinne vs Smith- Rep to be given

I have Smith on my roster at the moment. The Rinne's owner is open to move him. (Quick is my #1, with Fasth on the farm) I'm just wondering how big of an upgrade Rinne would be to Smith.

Our scoring cat's are W, SV, GA, GAA, SO, SV%

From my initial research, it looks to me like the diffrence would be negligible. Wither I am missing something completely, or they should be fairly comparable this season, thus limiting what I would be prepared to offer in addition to Smith to move up.

I think the current owner has him valued considerably higher than his true value. But would love to hear the Dobber community thoughts.
    12 Team H2H Keep 15- 25 man Roster- G,A,+/-, PIM, HITS, BLK,GWG,SOG HT, DEF,PPP, SHP, TOI, GAA,GA, WINS,SV, SO,SV%

Forwards- Giroux, Pacioretty, McDavid, Johansen, Landeskog, Yakupov, Barkov, Foligno, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon Kreider, Draisidl, Tervainen, Nelson, Zajac

Defense-Phaneuf, OEL, Rielly, Barrie, Stone, Murray, Beauchemin
    Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Farm- D. Strome, M. Marner, J Ortio

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd rather have Rinne. Both on average to bad teams, Rinne has much more talent.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Rinne is an elite goalie. Easily top-5 talent in the league, his only knock is that he's on a bad team. Smith is a servicable goalie but has never put up the number Rinne has. I would consider Rinne a large upgrade in SV, GAA, SO and SV% and a wash in GA and Ws. I would love to add Rinner over Smith but it depends on what the rest of the package is.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Rinne and it's not really close for me. Mike Smith has had 1 stellar year in Pheonix and that's about it. Average at best before landing in Phoenix and since his break out year...followed that up with another average year. Yes Injuires where in play but same can be said for Rinne.

BIG UPgrade if you can get him. Then set and forget with Quick and Rinne from here on end.

Dobber Sports Pro

That's not even close for me either.

Take Rinne and don't look back.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Rinne is an elite goalie. Easily top-5 talent in the league, his only knock is that he's on a bad team. Smith is a servicable goalie but has never put up the number Rinne has. I would consider Rinne a large upgrade in SV, GAA, SO and SV% and a wash in GA and Ws. I would love to add Rinner over Smith but it depends on what the rest of the package is.
    Last years numbers- W 15 GA 99 SV% .910 GAA 2.43 SO 5

LAst Years numbers- W 15 GA 84 SV% .910 GAA 2.58 SO 5

One was Smith one was Rinne. Rinne played 9 more games.

Smith was fighting injury all last year as well. The teams they play for are pretty much a wash. To me those numbers are pretty close.

Also, playing styles, I think Rinne is more likely to be affected by the reduction in goal pads than Smith. I think this will be a greater factor this year than most people are hoping. (very glad to have Quick in that regard)
    12 Team H2H Keep 15- 25 man Roster- G,A,+/-, PIM, HITS, BLK,GWG,SOG HT, DEF,PPP, SHP, TOI, GAA,GA, WINS,SV, SO,SV%

Forwards- Giroux, Pacioretty, McDavid, Johansen, Landeskog, Yakupov, Barkov, Foligno, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon Kreider, Draisidl, Tervainen, Nelson, Zajac

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by maddysdaddy View Post
    Last years numbers- W 15 GA 99 SV% .910 GAA 2.43 SO 5

LAst Years numbers- W 15 GA 84 SV% .910 GAA 2.58 SO 5

One was Smith one was Rinne. Rinne played 9 more games.

Smith was fighting injury all last year as well. The teams they play for are pretty much a wash. To me those numbers are pretty close.

Also, playing styles, I think Rinne is more likely to be affected by the reduction in goal pads than Smith. I think this will be a greater factor this year than most people are hoping. (very glad to have Quick in that regard)
    I can't argue with your numbers because they are what they are.

BUT, I would take Rinne over Smith any day of the week. Rinne has been putting up the elite numbers for longer and most think Smith's success is tied to Tippet's system.

It seems you want to keep Smith. So by all means, run with him.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    I can't argue with your numbers because they are what they are.

BUT, I would take Rinne over Smith any day of the week. Rinne has been putting up the elite numbers for longer and most think Smith's success is tied to Tippet's system.

It seems you want to keep Smith. So by all means, run with him.
    Agree with all of this. Sounds like you want to keep Smith so do that. Bu you know, Rinne has been a top 5 goalie option basically since he forced Nashville to make him the starter. Smith couldn't even beat out Dwayne Roloson to start in Tampa. Pretty widely accepted that Rinne had a down year last year, mainly because he had a pretty bad hip injury all year that he was playing with. If you want to base it solely on last years numbers, take Smith, but most people will say that is a foolish choice.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Smith suffered thru a couple of stretches last year but they still reupped him contract wise. A goalie couldn't ask for a much better a system, (short of Bos, LA, Stl), to work within than in Pho so a comeback of sorts stats wise is in the making. That said Bryz looked like a world beater there too so maybe you could plug in any goalie into Tippet's system and get a top 6 producer thusly attaching an element of risk to Smith if he falters and Griess steps up. If Rinne was guarenteed 100% healthy and the Pred's were the Pred's of a couple years ago with Suter on the backend it would be no contest but he has just come back from some serious rehabbing, their D is younger and not as "Trotz like" yet and if there's one golaie that may be affected by the euqipment rule it's Rinne this year. I'd grade them even up at best factoring all these things in and if you have to give up Smith and something else of value from your roster I'd pass. The other owner is hoping to hit a homerun based on Rinne's track record I think. I'd rather have someone like Rask at the price it seems like he's asking for.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Agree with all of this. Sounds like you want to keep Smith so do that. Bu you know, Rinne has been a top 5 goalie option basically since he forced Nashville to make him the starter. Smith couldn't even beat out Dwayne Roloson to start in Tampa. Pretty widely accepted that Rinne had a down year last year, mainly because he had a pretty bad hip injury all year that he was playing with. If you want to base it solely on last years numbers, take Smith, but most people will say that is a foolish choice.
    no need to say it any other way. I agree with rataylor and Arcticrogue here on all points.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Rinne > Smith

Both somewhat injury prone and both on relatively weaker teams.

Smith has had one good season while Rinne has proven himself to be a top end talent.

Go with Rinne

Dobber Sports Novice

Guys, the real question is Smith+ vs Rinne worth it. There's no way the other owner is going to trade him 1 for 1. I personally wouldn't go out of your way to make the upgrade since you have Quick and Smith/Rinne will just be your secondary goalie.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for all the input. Lots of good points, but I think what it really boils down to, is Smith+ for Rinne.

I have no doubt who the better goalie is. Rinne by a mile. But I think we all know fantasy games arent won and lost by who has the most talent. Team and team system definately comes into play. And as long as Smith is playing in Phoenix, I can't see his numbers being lower to the point of having to part with a considerable asset to upgrade.

Now for the back story, the original trade proposed to me, was Rinne for Smith AND Nash (and no not Tyson Nash). Needless to say that was replied to with a swift *!&!& OFF. lol.

After some further discussion, a Smith Pieterangelo for Rinne Sheifele deal was proposed. Again, getting warmer, but still no where near necessary given my situation.

I just wanted to see what the general consensus was regarding their percieved value.

And what I suspected was proven correct. Rinne IS a better goalie, but his fantasy value, I don't believe is considerably higher. Assuming of course both players are healthy and playing under their current systems.

Thanks guys

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cool

maddysdaddy....very astute assessment. It's always important to distance emotion from the equation when making roster moves. Following logic usually is the way to go. Good luck.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ah the ability to separate emotion from fantasy decisions.... Usually the difference between Fantasy success and mediocrity. Hard to do all the time... but certainly critical.

Thanks for all the thoughts...

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot