Thread: Dobber Leagues 2013-14 Drafts Top 100 Summary

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Dobber Leagues 2013-14 Drafts Top 100 Summary

Hi Guys,

I just created a consolidated spreadsheet of the 4 Dobber TIER NHL League Drafts for this season (2013-14). As Pengwin had kindly done so last year, I thought it would be a good idea to compare the 4 drafts on 1 page and see where the 60 folks' minds were at, while drafting.

The 4 Drafts in question:
    Dobber Tier I Experts League (16 teams)
    Dobber Tier II Pro League - Campbell (14 Teams)
    Dobber Tier II Pro League - Wales (15 Teams), and
    Dobber Tier III Entry League (15 Teams) - not including the Dummy Commish team (Pengwin7) so that he could manage the league, since it was a dummy team anyways (no fantasy worthy roster player selected).

League settings on an average:
    Yahoo - ROTO
    Skaters Stats: Goals/Assists/+-/SOG/PPP/Hits
    Goalie Stats: Wins/GAA/S%

The attached file contains all 4 league drafts in their pick order in the first 4 tabs. The 5th tab in the spreadsheet is called "Pick Trends" and is the meat of the spreadsheet - this is where the comparisons are done. Due to file size limits, the attached file contains the first 100.

While I am still doing some more analysis, I thought you guys may want to check out how the drafts went, with the intent of:
    a) Doing your own analysis - after all it's a spreadsheet so makes for easy data filters
    b) Strategizing any upcoming drafts
    c) Observe where players went under the radar (players taken later than average pick), OR were reached at (players taken way sooner than their avge pick)
    d) Goalie OR D runs happened
    e) Any player that was taken that has since been moved to the Minors OR is not playing in the NHL at all this season!

Interesting early observations:
    - Almost every team went with 3 Goalies on an average (some had more, few had less)
    - Goalie runs happenned in every draft early on (Round 1, Round 2)
    - Of the 435 players picked across the 4 drafts, 320 were picked in all 4 drafts. Of these, 40 are Goalies, 82 are Defensemen and the rest 198 are Forwards.
    - Of the 320 players picked in each of the 4 drafts, the team spread is somewhat surprising. One would have expected the most players to be picked from power house teams like CHI, BOS, PIT, LAK but no, the max players (15) were from STL. The next best 13 were from OTT and TOR. No: of teams had 12 players picked - DAL, MTL, NYR, PHI, PIT, TB and WPG. On an average most teams had 9 or 10 players selected. The least number of players (among the common 320) - 8, were picked from SJ (a surprise) and CAR (not a surprise).
    - The Top 8 players were almost unanimous: Ovi, Sid, Stamkos, Malkin, Tavares, Lundi, Rask, P Kane. In a couple of drafts, Karlsson went really early (as in Top 10). Quick and Rinne, expectedly turned out to be the remaining 2 of the top 4 goalies picked.

Would welcome your thoughts and observations as well, as I continue to analyze the numbers and report back to this thread.

Have fun and cheers.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer