Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Leafs sign Kessel to 8 year contract

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I take it all back, it's a fantastic contract, almost as good as the Clarkson signing...if anything they got a deal on Kessel
    Really? You're not going to respond to any of the points...lol
    Last edited by theIceWookie; October 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    Really? Come on now, no need to act like that...
    like what? you sold me, it's a great contract, Kessel is an elite winger, he deserves 8mil easily

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This thread is depressing. It's exhausting being a leaf fan and I'm not even participating in the discussion.

The Kessel deal is slightly high, let's say $500k

Leaf's fans are happy because we locked up an elite player long-term.
    12-team, H2H, Keep 4. Categories: G,A,+/-,PPG,PPP,Hits,PIM,W,Sv,Sv%,GAA
    C: Kopitar, M. Koivu, Oshie (C)
    LW: Zuccarello, , Elias (C), Duchene (C)
    RW: Iginla, Pominville, Ovechkin
    D: Karlsson, Chara, Doughty
    G: Crawford, Halak, Bryzgalov
    Farm: Kuemper, MacKinnon, Lehner, Schwartz, Nyquist

Dobber Sports Ninja

It absolutely doesn't make sense to compare pre and post new CBA contracts. Why would that make any sense? The new CBA brought in new rules that changed how teams can resign their own players, rules that were not in place before.

The biggest difference between old and new CBA is the term limit. Teams can now only sign their own players to a max of 8 years, and UFA's can only sign to a max of 7 years. That's pretty signficant actually. Let's use Parise for an example.

Parise waas 28 when he signed with the Wild. He signed a 13 year deal, that takes him to 41. In his last three years, he has a salary of 2, 1, and 1 million, years he's unlikely to play. Those years allow the team to significantly drop his hit. This pushes his hit 9.4 million. Those extra years that are no longer allowed under the CBA, actually allow teams to artificially lower his cap hit. So while it's 7.5 million, that's only because the team was able to push his contract so long into a point he's not likely to play and use those years to give him little salary and push his cap hit down. You can't do that anymore. You think if Parise was a UFA this summer that he'd be asking for 7.5 million a year for 7 years? Doubtful. The new term limit changes everything.

Secondly if you're going to ignore that the term limit changes everything, you have to look at where those other players signed their deals. Stamkos was coming off his first contract and his ELC. Kessel is coming up to his UFA years after he's had two contracts already. It's the exact same thing for Kane, Toews and Backstrom. All coming off their ELC's, got nice raises. Makes little sense to compare their second contracts while RFA's to Kessel's third while in his final year before UFA status. When Kane comes up after 14/15, you can compare Kane's new contract and Kessel's extension. Not before though.

And finally, you can't even look at those contracts and compare them. Kessel's cap hit won't hit the team until next season. Who knows what the cap is then. Once you know, if you still stubbornly continued to only look at cap hit (which makes absolutely no sense without context of any sort), you could compare how each contract stacks up against the cap. But that still wouldn't make sense since you're comparing contracts signed as RFA's to one's signed to one with only one season to UFA, and signed under the old CBA compared to the new CBA.

TL: DR Comparing cap hits makes no logical sense in any way, shape or form.
    Well said. I'm not a big fan of Kessel personally, and I wouldn't be shocked if he slightly underperforms this contract of his, but you've given some excellent reasons why it's pretty much a fair contract.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Really? You're not going to respond to any of the points...lol
    Why would he? You pretty much blew any argument he had out of the water with no recourse but to admit defeat and move on. With Mcgoo, that in itself is a feat rarely seen.
    Kudos to you my friend!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I take it all back, it's a fantastic contract, almost as good as the Clarkson signing...if anything they got a deal on Kessel
    Incredible post! Almost as good as the one where you compared the contracts of Toews and Kane to Kessel's

The Great One

Kessel had all the leverage...this was a signing the Leafs just had to make. They have nobody to replace Kessel, and they finally look like a playoff team for the first time in ages. Not to mention how badly Toronto would be mocked for that trade if they ended up having nothing to show for it.

In an ideal world, they get him signed for $7 million, but again, this is just a deal Nonis had to make.

I've question a number of his moves this summer, but not signing Kessel.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    So... what you're suggesting is that without the "anchor" Bozak pulling him down, then Phil would actually be a 100+ point player? Wouldn't that be nice.
    There is no statistical evidence to suggest that Bozak has helped Kessel's production at all, in fact it's quite the opposite. Not sure where the assertion that a better Centre would make Kessel a 100+ point player came from but it's fairly simple to see that his production would/should go up. Kessel has outpointed Bozak by 30ish points consistently so how is it that he's helping his production when 40% of Kessel's even strength points are being scored without so much as a secondary assist to Bozak?

Kessel is carrying Bozak....but....they're buddies and Kessel likes playing with him. It's sad that the Leafs pandered to this sort of relationship but alas we bought out Grabo to sign Bozak for Grabo money so that Kessel would agree to sign an 8 x 8 contract.....GAG!!!!! I don't dislike the contract per se, as I think it's fair market value, but Kessel is not the guy I'd have hopped we'd be signing as our anchor for the next 8 years.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    There is no statistical evidence to suggest that Bozak has helped Kessel's production at all, in fact it's quite the opposite. Not sure where the assertion that a better Centre would make Kessel a 100+ point player came from but it's fairly simple to see that his production would/should go up. Kessel has outpointed Bozak by 30ish points consistently so how is it that he's helping his production when 40% of Kessel's even strength points are being scored without so much as a secondary assist to Bozak?
    Is there a comparison to be drawn to Iginla/Conroy? I'm not saying there is -- I haven't looked at any numbers, but that was always the story of the elite winger playing with the decent centre with whom he had a good relationship.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Is there a comparison to be drawn to Iginla/Conroy? I'm not saying there is -- I haven't looked at any numbers, but that was always the story of the elite winger playing with the decent centre with whom he had a good relationship.
    Ide actually prefer Conroy to Bozak

The Great One

Bozak = very underrated