Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryan McDonagh

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Ryan McDonagh

Alot are hyping him to have a big season. I don't see him more then a 30 to tops(maybe) 40pt guy.

Which brings us to his value in a Dynasty Multi cat League.

His best hits year was 118(thats soso) while his blocks were close to 200(which is very good)

Guess Im wondering if hes worth holding on to him or trading him. You see I have to rip my team apart(Yes its that bad) and rebuild with kids with more upside.
    Hits and blocks are easier to replace.

Heres my situation:
    Large Dynasty H2H
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP Hit Blk

Ive been offered
    Cody Ceci & David Rundblad for him.

Intriguing

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If it was.a 20 team league, I may consider that. However, in a more shallow league, I always sde with trying to acquire the best player.

With that being said, McDonagh is only 24 and still has upside. And, even if he doesn't progress further offensively, hes a very solid D man. 30-40 points with good peripherals is more rare than you may think.

I actually like Ceci and Rundblad alot, but I'll take the proven over the unproven 10 times out of 10 in a shallow league.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

G, A, P, +/-, PP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, Wins, Save%, SV, GAA. *1 goalie starts

C - Couture, Kadri, Anisimov, Dvorak
    LW - Marchand, JT Miller, Grabner, Hartman, Duclair
    RW - Duchene, Oshie, Silfverberg, J.Williams
    D - Ristolainen, S.Jones, Martinez, De Haan, Del Zotto, Chychrun, Carlo
    G - Lundqvist, F.Andersen, Raanta
    Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by vmascarello View Post
    If it was.a 20 team league, I may consider that. However, in a more shallow league, I always sde with trying to acquire the best player.

With that being said, McDonagh is only 24 and still has upside. And, even if he doesn't progress further offensively, hes a very solid D man. 30-40 points with good peripherals is more rare than you may think.

I actually like Ceci and Rundblad alot, but I'll take the proven over the unproven 10 times out of 10 in a shallow league.
    lol it is a 20 teamer with large farm clubs
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; September 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

any other thoughts?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sorry, I was looking at the league in the signature.

It makes it a lot closer for me. If you're looking to build over the next 2-3 years, I'd give it heavy consideration. I think Ceci and Rundblad are both excellent D prospects.

I still wouldn't' pull the trigger in the end. Tough decision, but I'd stand pat.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

G, A, P, +/-, PP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, Wins, Save%, SV, GAA. *1 goalie starts

C - Couture, Kadri, Anisimov, Dvorak
    LW - Marchand, JT Miller, Grabner, Hartman, Duclair
    RW - Duchene, Oshie, Silfverberg, J.Williams
    D - Ristolainen, S.Jones, Martinez, De Haan, Del Zotto, Chychrun, Carlo
    G - Lundqvist, F.Andersen, Raanta
    Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg

Dobber Sports Initiate

Relevant: http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...-ryan-mcdonagh

I like McD in your format.

Dobber Sports Icon

hERES SOME NAMES HE MIGHT BE WILLING TO ADD:

Khokhlachev, Alexander
    Jaskin, Dmitrij (may be wishful thinking)
    Matheson, Michael

Dobber Sports Icon

any more thoughts?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Each of the last two seasons, McDonagh has paced for about 30 points... even-strength.
    Torts didn't give him any shot to play PP time.

I believe, this pre-season, we are seeing AV give him that shot.

Any defenseman that gets significant PP1 time, is going to probably chalk up 10-15 PPP just by touching the puck. That would put McD at 40-45pt defenseman.

In the past, NYR has rolled with MDZ & B-Rich on the points, I believe.
    But perhaps AV prefers to use his line-up differently.

Anyways... the point being is that McD has consistently displayed the ability to put up 30pts at EVEN-STRENGTH. So if he gets PP-time, he becomes a 40+pt guy.

I'd hold McD over Ceci/Rundbald.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thx Penguin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cool

I'd do Jaskin and Ceci but only if you can wait out the 2-3 years it'll take for them to be bonifide producers. That said, within a year they'll have as good amarket value as McDonagh has now and would be excellent barganing chips. McD has so much overall skill and skating ability and I was hoping that AV might use him the way he used Bieksa in Van to raise his point totals but I think he's more likely to be delegated to the 30-35pt, fill in on PP's during injuries, and continue in the shutdown role that he's so valuable in.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ICEJESTER View Post
    I'd do Jaskin and Ceci but only if you can wait out the 2-3 years it'll take for them to be bonifide producers. That said, within a year they'll have as good amarket value as McDonagh has now and would be excellent barganing chips. McD has so much overall skill and skating ability and I was hoping that AV might use him the way he used Bieksa in Van to raise his point totals but I think he's more likely to be delegated to the 30-35pt, fill in on PP's during injuries, and continue in the shutdown role that he's so valuable in.
    Id much prefer Rundblad then Ceci

He wont part with all 3 guys

What does everyone think of Jaskin & Rundblad for McDonough? Still not enough?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cool

I think the next couple of weeks will tell if Rundblad will turn the corner from prospect to player. They've been patient with him and for Tippet to slate him starting with Ekman-Larsson I'd take that as a huge indication they think he's ready or they're giving him his last chance to sink or swim with guys like Stone and Gormley in the wings that can play that role. I think it's 60/40 that it's the former and this year could be his beginning of 80% to fulltime play. I'd do him and Jaskin for McDonagh, that's the gambler in me though but I just don't see McDonagh being allowed to play a more risk oriented offensive game and sacfrificing his all around contributions so I'd take the future upside of those two. I do like Ceci a touch more because of the Sens depth but it's even enough and fair value for you either way. Good luck.

Dobber Sports Veteran

McDonagh with only 8 minutes of icetime through almost 2 periods......12 seconds of PP time. Not a great sign, Girardi has almost twice as much icetime......is he in coach V's doghouse or something?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    McDonagh with only 8 minutes of icetime through almost 2 periods......12 seconds of PP time. Not a great sign, Girardi has almost twice as much icetime......is he in coach V's doghouse or something?
    He took a puck to the face early in the game and missed most of the 1st period.