Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st keeper draft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default 1st keeper draft

so i'm joining my first actual keeper, i've only been in dynastys and one years before.

the draft is coming up, and i need some sort of advice for my draft strategy.

quick breakdown:

H2H, min goalie starts=3, i have 15th pick out of 16.

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Goals (G), Assists (A), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)

Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Saves (SV), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

we keep only 3 players every year, the rest go back into the pool that we redraft out of.

what should my general guideline be for drafting? take the top 3 BPA with my first three picks (my keepers) and then load up on vets/high producing players for the rest of the draft? or should i just select the BPA every time and just make sure i have at least three keepers?

there arent that many roster positions so i could probably just draft the guys that will get me points now and worry about my keepers in the later rounds, possibly snagging guys late in the draft like mackinnon/drouin/rnh etc and using them as my keepers?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

That is a poser for sure. So 48 players kept at the end of the year and I am guessing that all the keeper worthy goalies will be kept with 41% of your cats being for goal tending.

Almost seems like you need to have a strategy if you get a goalie coming to you that you like and one if you don't.

Got any guesses as to what might go in the first round? Got any preferences for a goalie you would want to keep?

Edit: Jeez I just realized you start 2 goalies in this league with 3 min starts.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well the GM who wins this league is going to have goal tending for sure. This might be the only opportunity for a while to tuck a keeper goalie in so I think you take one in the first two rounds.

After that I think you take the BPA as keepers and load up with producers. With the cats the way they are set up - guys like Kessel and Kane don't bring high value so that might also be the case with guys like Drouin and MacKinnon when they mature.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think you're gonna have to take some chances in the later rounds on goalies who could win fulltime spots this year... guys like Fasth, Enroth, Emery, Allen, Bernier etc. Also keep tabs on Tim Thomas; he could end up being a good value pick if the rest of your league hasn't been paying attention recently.

So, I'd grab a bona fide #1 as early as possible (if the value is there) and then stock up on a couple of the above guys after your prime F/D have been settled. Good luck!

The Great One

With this set up, I'd also try to get the best goalie I could in the 1st or 2nd round. Assuming a snake draft, these picks will be close.

The only other advice I have is that in new keeper drafts, there always seems to be a few players that are OBSESSED with drafting youth, and building a team that will compete down the road instead of right now. My advice - play to win now. Don't reach too early for MacKinnon, for example, in a keep 3.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i was initially going to select three forwards as my keepers for me first three picks, but you guys have convinced me to take a goalie with my 1st or 2nd.

i think i'll hold off on drafting D until very late. since hits and blocks are a stat, a lot more dmen would become valuable so i can grab some good ones late correct?

and would it be advisable to just draft all the multi cat guys like hartnell, backes, lucic etc? or should i draft the high point scorers first and then nab a guy like matt martin late?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    With this set up, I'd also try to get the best goalie I could in the 1st or 2nd round. Assuming a snake draft, these picks will be close.

The only other advice I have is that in new keeper drafts, there always seems to be a few players that are OBSESSED with drafting youth, and building a team that will compete down the road instead of right now. My advice - play to win now. Don't reach too early for MacKinnon, for example, in a keep 3.

Good luck.
    I think this is tremendous advice in a keep 3 league. You will get two keeper worthy players with picks 15 and 18 - I would go goalie first unless someone outrageous falls to you. Picks 47 or 50 are soon enough to pluck MacKinnon if he is still on the board.

For the last few weeks, I have had my head in roto drafting and it's not easy to shift gears to H2H, but I find your league fascinating in it's set-up.

33.3% offensive cats - G, A, SOG, PPP
    41.7% goalie cats - W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    25% rough work - PIM, Hits, Blocks

So how do you win matches? Well I think if you can smother the goalie cats with 2 very good starters and a good back up and take away the rough work cats, that you will be competitive in every match you play. Let the other guy score a million goals - it's still only one cat. I think it is much easier to draft a team focusing on 67% of the cats (not to the exclusion of scoring but as a preference) and doing so, this league could be yours. With 16 teams and 3 min starts a week - there will be teams defaulting the goalie cats, almost for sure.

I can see taking 2 goalies with your first 2 picks and then picking off a top end D guy with one of your next 2 picks and then someone like Lucic or Pacioretty at 47 and 51. There are worst things in the world than keeping Schneider, Luongo and Weber as your 3 keepers in this league. I like the idea of picking up pim's, hits and blocks later, but I would still place a value on them over scoring. Unlike roto where you can't afford to punt a cat - H2H is all about winning enough cats to take the match. You can meet a team with Crosby, Stamkos and Malkin and kick their ass.

Be careful to look for guys like Dubinsky who will give you good numbers in the rough work from the wing or C - I read someone who projected he could block 90 shots this year. Giordano will be a steal in this draft for sure.

Anyway, good luck with the draft - looks like a fun league.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 30, 2013 at 4:52 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

I definitely grab 2 Goalies with your 2 top picks. That will also cause a run on goalies as owners will worry.

I would also focus on young up and comers as in a large league like this one or so of them may end up being a keeper.

Also let your Def be your hits/blk guys. Guys like Girardi, Schenn, Orpik, Stuart, Brewer can be picked up later in the draft.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I think this is tremendous advice in a keep 3 league. You will get two keeper worthy players with picks 15 and 18 - I would go goalie first unless someone outrageous falls to you. Picks 47 or 50 are soon enough to pluck MacKinnon if he is still on the board.

For the last few weeks, I have had my head in roto drafting and it's not easy to shift gears to H2H, but I find your league fascinating in it's set-up.

33.3% offensive cats - G, A, SOG, +/-
    41.7% goalie cats - W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    25% rough work - PIM, Hits, Blocks

So how do you win matches? Well I think if you can smother the goalie cats with 2 very good starters and a good back up and take away the rough work cats, that you will be competitive in every match you play. Let the other guy score a million goals - it's still only one cat. I think it is much easier to draft a team focusing on 67% of the cats (not to the exclusion of scoring but as a preference) and doing so, this league could be yours. With 16 teams and 3 min starts a week - there will be teams defaulting the goalie cats, almost for sure.

I can see taking 2 goalies with your first 2 picks and then picking off a top end D guy with one of your next 2 picks and then someone like Lucic or Pacioretty at 47 and 51. There are worst things in the world than keeping Schneider, Luongo and Weber as your 3 keepers in this league. I like the idea of picking up pim's, hits and blocks later, but I would still place a value on them over scoring. Unlike roto where you can't afford to punt a cat - H2H is all about winning enough cats to take the match. You can meet a team with Crosby, Stamkos and Malkin and kick their ass.

Be careful to look for guys like Dubinsky who will give you good numbers in the rough work from the wing or C - I read someone who projected he could block 90 shots this year. Giordano will be a steal in this draft for sure.

Anyway, good luck with the draft - looks like a fun league.
    there is no +/- category, but otherwise spot on...i will definitely draft 1 goalie with my first three picks, likely either my 1st or 2nd selection. I may pick another goalie but I think there will be more than enough of them later on to draft that it shouldnt be a priority after i draft one solid starter.

i'll update my next post with my picks since the draft is coming up. thanks for the advice everyone, wish me luck!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

okay so i finished my draft. i think i overdosed on the multicat guys but i wanted to make sure i won most of the categories each weak and hopefully have some hot weeks where i can win G or A.

what do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Stud

I think it's a solid 'goalies and goons' kind of lineup. As you already noted, you're a bit weak on PPP, G, and A, and maybe SOG. Whatever you do- try not to trade a goalie to strengthen those stats.

By the way, what exactly is the difference between keeper and dynasty?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    I think it's a solid 'goalies and goons' kind of lineup. As you already noted, you're a bit weak on PPP, G, and A, and maybe SOG. Whatever you do- try not to trade a goalie to strengthen those stats.

By the way, what exactly is the difference between keeper and dynasty?
    keeper means you can only keep a certain amount of players each year, while dynasty is keep everyone on your team.

man i really shouldnt have drafted that many goons but i couldnt resist they were all there for me to scoop up lol

anyone else?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Good overall team Praba - with that goalie tandem you should win the goalie cats at least 2/3 weeks. I think you OD'd a little too much on the multicat guys. It's a sound strategy that should win you *most* weeks, but I could see a team with even just marginally more firepower rolling over you in any given week if their goalies are hot.

You can never have it all, and you've got the right idea by focusing on the two third of the categories - I just think you may find that you'll end up with a huge excess of Pims/Blocks/Hits every week that could be better allocated elsewhere.

There's an easy fix though - play your team for a month first, see how the scoring shakes out, and then you could always fill out your holes by trading some of those multicats for more firepower.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    there is no +/- category, but otherwise spot on...i will definitely draft 1 goalie with my first three picks, likely either my 1st or 2nd selection. I may pick another goalie but I think there will be more than enough of them later on to draft that it shouldnt be a priority after i draft one solid starter.

i'll update my next post with my picks since the draft is coming up. thanks for the advice everyone, wish me luck!
    Yeah should be PPP not +/-

So here is your squad:

C: MacKinnon, Roy, Hanzal, Schenn (RW)
    LW: Brown (RW), Dubinsky (C), Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Backes (C), Callahan, Briere (C), Dorsett
    D: Del Zotto, Giordano, Hamonic, Gorges
    G: Rinne, Niemi, Halak

So your team name is the "Bruise Brothers"? I love your goalies but unfortunately you picked a set of 3 with really high conflicts and you aren't going to enjoy them as much as you should. I would be looking at opportunities to flip on of your guys for a goalie with much less conflicts, like Crawford, Luongo, Anderson.

You have locked down PIM's and Hits and are really solid in blocks - you might consider another D guy on the bench for blocks down the road - depends on whether your forwards do a lot of blocking - I am guessing they might, so could be a non-issue. You are very solid in goal but could use more Saves and Wins to be certain - that's where the conflict thing comes in. Unless of course in this league there is no better set of goalies in which case don't worry.

You are actually competitive in SOG - be interesting to see how often you might win that cat.

This team is going to be tough to beat in any given week - You have a strong hold on 3 skater and 3 goalie cats, with the other 2 goalie cats easily achievable in a decent week. You have a solid base here and now it's tinker time.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 30, 2013 at 5:23 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I wonder how many teams rostered 4 goalies?

Anyway, what's on the wire, Praba?