Thread: Bernier or Thomas?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Bernier or Thomas?

Already have Anderson and Holtby. Standard one-year Yahoo league with W, GAA, SV% and SO.

I already have Bernier but am considering dropping him for Thomas. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would at least wait until Thomas is officially signed before dropping Bernier.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would keep Bernier......its been a long time since I have been able to say this but the Leafs are the better team and if people think Thomas is going to take the year off then come back and not split with the future franchise goalie they're nuts......Also you have no idea what to expect from an old man like Thomas I think he will be good but......and call me a homer I think Bernier is going to be great in TO

The Great One

I'd stick with Bernier, as Florida will be awful this year.

Dobber Sports Ace

I vote for Bernier too.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    I vote for Bernier too.
    ^^ The Leafs have a better team, so I go Bernier here

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    ^^ The Leafs have a better team, so I go Bernier here
    Yep. Speaking of which, I just started another thread to discuss Thomas' potential, and Dobber's prediction of his performance this season. It's a little puzzling, to put it lightly.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks all. I like Bernier a lot and I hope he beats out Reimer...but overall I'm not a Leaf fan.

No offense to those who are - I just resent CBC's decision for the past decade + to run games like Toronto/Columbus or Toronto/Nashville when Ottawa or Montreal were playing teams like the Rangers, Red Wings or even each other. Crappy games and Toronto had a bad team too? Of course we'll play them! sigh...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Krysmo View Post
    Thanks all. I like Bernier a lot and I hope he beats out Reimer...but overall I'm not a Leaf fan.

No offense to those who are - I just resent CBC's decision for the past decade + to run games like Toronto/Columbus or Toronto/Nashville when Ottawa or Montreal were playing teams like the Rangers, Red Wings or even each other. Crappy games and Toronto had a bad team too? Of course we'll play them! sigh...
    Haha, lots of people seem to have hangups like this. The fact of the matter is that more Canadians want to watch the Leafs than anyone else. It's pretty simple really. In Ottawa and Montreal they will air the other game, but the Leafs game demands more attention in the rest of the country, plain and simple. If it weren't so, they would air the other game.

Furthermore, it's best to not let emotional beefs like this hold you back in fantasy hockey.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Bernier, yes.
    Florida's defense is not good.
    They will lose... a lot.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'll go against the grain and take Thomas in a one year league. I think he will be their starter and I'd rather have a true starter than a guy in a time share.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I am going Thomas all day. He is the guy in Florida and watch him be more than adequate. People always write him off and he just continued to perform every year (last year not withstanding).

Dobber Sports Ace

If the league was wins only, I'd say Thomas too, but it's not. It's multiple categories. I think it's fair to expect Bernier to play >50% of the starts, and have better GAA than Thomas and more SO, and probably better SV% too. Look at the blueline in Toronto compared to Florida!

Sure, Thomas is only a couple years removed from some excellent goaltending performances, but that was while playing behind the best team in the world. Now he's playing behind what could be argued is the worst team in the NHL. I expect him to be a good goaltender still, for sure. I'm not selling the guy's skills short one bit. But will his numbers dip? Yes. Yes yes yes. So will Schnieder's in New Jersey this year. So will Bobrovsky, given the realignment. Things have changed.

It ultimately depends on who your other goaltenders are though. If you have Nabokov, Dubnyk, Varlamov, Miller, Pavelec, Lehtonen, etc, your GAA is likely already going to be shaky and maybe you should just focus on the wins and hope to have decent saves percentages.