Thread: 8 Team Draft Strategy?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default 8 Team Draft Strategy?

Good afternoon everyone!

I wanted to ask a quick question regarding who to draft and where in an 8 team league. It's a smaller league than I'm accustom to.

If I have one of the first four picks, I'm going to go with one of the big four obviously.

a) However, if I'm pick 5-8 who should I pick?
    b) When should I pick a goalie? I think there will be plenty of depth (16-20 goalies at most).
    c) Fwd-Fwd-Fwd-Goalie-D?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Eight team league will have a ton of left over starting goalies and it seems that your league favors goal scorers. I would go all out on high end forwards, specifically goal scorers, and look for goalies that start a lot later in the draft. They should still be there in the middle and later rounds. Pick up defence that get you hits and blocks in the latter half of the draft so you can save all your important rounds for good forwards.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Padawan

I am just curious what kind of points did the top players (forwards and goalies) get last year. My advice would be to go with high end forwards but if you can get either Lundy, Quick, Rinne, or Rask, I would try to get them in the 2nd round.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    I am just curious what kind of points did the top players (forwards and goalies) get last year.
    This is a good question.

Without knowing relative point values and roster settings, in a small league like that I generally front-load on forwards and then goalies and last defense.

Your league seems to have more of an emphasis on quantity > quality when it comes to goalie cats, so my hunch is that workhorses who see a lot of rubber on average or mediocre teams will still be valued highly (ward, bobrovsky, backstrom, miller, etc). What this means is you can wait till later and grab these types of goalies instead of stretching for the elite goalies early on.
    Last edited by blayze; September 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

New Stats this year...notice hits and blocked shots got docked from 1 pt to .5

Skaters:

Goals (G)=3 Assists (A)=2
    Penalty Minutes (PIM)=0.3 Power Play Goals (PPG) =2
    Power Play Assists (PPA)=1 Short Handed Goals (SHG)=2
    Game-Winning Goals (GWG)=5 Hat Tricks (HAT)=5
    Hits (HIT)=0.5 Blocked Shots (BLK)=0.5

Goaltending:
    Wins (W)=3 Goals Against (GA)=-1
    Saves (SV)=0.2 Shutouts (SO)=3
    Overtime Losses (OTL)=1