Thread: Kopitar/Moulson for Neal/Iginla

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Kopitar/Moulson for Neal/Iginla

I have Kopitar and Moulson (team below) and am looking to strengthen my RW. I drafted lightly on RW and Gagner injury didn't help.

Iginla owner has offered Iginla for Moulson which I'm not willing to do, but what if I were to add Kopitar and Neal?

League Setup
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    Positions: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, G, G, BN x 5, IR x 2
    Categories: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG | WIN, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Keep 2 players outright, plus up to 3 other players 3 rounds later than they were drafted this year, provided they are never dropped during the year. My roster and draft rounds are listed below:
    C - Kopitar (k), Stepan (N/A), Ribeiro (8), Gagner (9)/RW/Injured, Dubinksy (12)/LW
    LW –, Moulson (4), Hartnell (k), Ladd (7)
    RW – Giroux (2)/C, Nash (1)/LW
    D – Green (6), Del Zotto (11), Hedman (14)
    G – Rask (5), Holtby (3), Fasth (10)
    Last edited by sleeper; September 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM. Reason: updated roster to include Stepan

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't like the trade for you - you say you want to strengthen your RW but it would leave you pretty thin at C. Kopi and Neal will be pretty close in points, but I think Moulson is a better option than Iginla, especially in a keeper.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Neal is by far the best player in the format hands down. I would say Moulson and Kopitar are 2nd and 3rd. The deal is very very close but I may do it to get Neal.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp913 View Post
    Neal is by far the best player in the format hands down. I would say Moulson and Kopitar are 2nd and 3rd. The deal is very very close but I may do it to get Neal.

Neal is very good, but "by far the best player"? Over Kopitar? That's a big stretch, and some would say Kopitar is even more valuable (it's very close in my view). And Moulson is no slouch, his numbers are in fact not all that far from Neal's.

No way I do this deal in a keeper - stick with Moulson and Kopitar, or trade them for more than Neal and Iginla (say Neal and a good Dman or something).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Wizard

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but Giroux and Nash at RW seems pretty crazy strong.

Keep what you have. I don't think you need to make a drastic change at RW, and losing Kopi hurts you at center. Find someone off the wire for some RW depth and call it good.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Neal is very good, but "by far the best player"? Over Kopitar? That's a big stretch, and some would say Kopitar is even more valuable (it's very close in my view). And Moulson is no slouch, his numbers are in fact not all that far from Neal's.

No way I do this deal in a keeper - stick with Moulson and Kopitar, or trade them for more than Neal and Iginla (say Neal and a good Dman or something).
    You could make that argument in points only. In any league that counts any combination of PIM,GWG,SOG,Hits,etc Neal is just better than Moulson and Kopitar. Neal is on the offensive Penguins and is a way better goal scorer than Kopitar(a 40 goal scorer is harder to find and GWG is a category) vs Kopitar being on the defensive Kings. Neal is definitely the best player this format. He is the only one that will contribute substantially in every category.

Dobber Sports Icon

You could make that argument in points only. In any league that counts any combination of PIM,GWG,SOG,Hits,etc Neal is just better than Moulson and Kopitar. Neal is on the offensive Penguins and is a way better goal scorer than Kopitar(a 40 goal scorer is harder to find and GWG is a category) vs Kopitar being on the defensive Kings. Neal is definitely the best player this format. He is the only one that will contribute substantially in every category.

You may want to go back and check your statistics, actually compare these two players in the various categories over the last 3-5 years, I think you 'll be surprised to find that Kopitar may in fact be even more valuable than Neal in this format:

G - of course it's Neal, but Kopitar's not that far behind, he's had 30+ goals in 20 of his 5 full 82-game seasons and 25+ the other 3. Neal has had 40+ once and otherwise in the 20s (not counting last year's 40-goal pace).

A - Kopitar destroys.

+/- - Kopitar destroys.

PIM - Neal destroys.

PPP - Kopitar edge.

SHP - Kopitar annihilates.

GWG - Neal edge, it's much closer than you might think.

There is no SOG category in his league, but even there Kopitar's more than competitive with Neal.

So, no, Neal isn't by far a better player than Kopitar in this league format, and a trade of Kopitar/Moulson for Neal/Iginla would be a big mistake.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    You may want to go back and check your statistics, actually compare these two players in the various categories over the last 3-5 years, I think you 'll be surprised to find that Kopitar may in fact be even more valuable than Neal in this format:

G - of course it's Neal, but Kopitar's not that far behind, he's had 30+ goals in 20 of his 5 full 82-game seasons and 25+ the other 3. Neal has had 40+ once and otherwise in the 20s (not counting last year's 40-goal pace).

A - Kopitar destroys.

+/- - Kopitar destroys.

PIM - Neal destroys.

PPP - Kopitar edge.

SHP - Kopitar annihilates.

GWG - Neal edge, it's much closer than you might think.

There is no SOG category in his league, but even there Kopitar's more than competitive with Neal.

So, no, Neal isn't by far a better player than Kopitar in this league format, and a trade of Kopitar/Moulson for Neal/Iginla would be a big mistake.
    Haha you are going back way too far. How can you go back and look at what Neal did before he played with Malkin? That's most of his appeal. EVERY year he has played with Malkin, he scored 40 or was on pace for 40.

G Neal BY FAR. He should be a lock for 40 if he's healthy and Kopitar usually doesn't even hit 30.

A Kopitar wins no doubt

+- Kopitar wins but he doesn't "destroy" like you said. Neal is on a great team and has had good +- the past 2 seasons on the Penguins.

PIM Neal BY FAR.

PPP They had the same last season but I'll take Neal on the Pens power play any day

SHP They both had 0 last year but you say Kopitar annihilates lol

GWG Neal wins here pretty easily

Dobber Sports Deity

Haha you are going back way too far. How can you go back and look at what Neal did before he played with Malkin? That's most of his appeal. EVERY year he has played with Malkin, he scored 40 or was on pace for 40.

G Neal BY FAR. He should be a lock for 40 if he's healthy and Kopitar usually doesn't even hit 30.

A Kopitar wins no doubt

+- Kopitar wins but he doesn't "destroy" like you said. Neal is on a great team and has had good +- the past 2 seasons on the Penguins.

PIM Neal BY FAR.

PPP They had the same last season but I'll take Neal on the Pens power play any day

SHP They both had 0 last year but you say Kopitar annihilates lol

GWG Neal wins here pretty easily
    Aren't you the same guy who normally goes for the player who creates their own opportunities and not the guy who relies on others to help them with their numbers?

If that's the case then Kopitar is definitely the guy. Don't get me wrong, I like James Neal and think he's a solid fantasy option, but his numbers are solid because of his linemates. Kopitar on the other hand makes his line mates better.

In a keeper league, I think this trade is a mistake. Iggy's best days are behind him and is on the decline.

Even if Kopitar = Neal (and the numbers shows this is the case), there is no way Iggy = Moulson.

Sleeper, find another trade option. This trade is not a win, or even a break even for you. You lose this deal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Aren't you the same guy who normally goes for the player who creates their own opportunities and not the guy who relies on others to help them with their numbers?

If that's the case then Kopitar is definitely the guy. Don't get me wrong, I like James Neal and think he's a solid fantasy option, but his numbers are solid because of his linemates. Kopitar on the other hand makes his line mates better.

In a keeper league, I think this trade is a mistake. Iggy's best days are behind him and is on the decline.

Even if Kopitar = Neal (and the numbers shows this is the case), there is no way Iggy = Moulson.

Sleeper, find another trade option. This trade is not a win, or even a break even for you. You lose this deal.
    Haha yes normally I do say that, but Neal and Kunitz there are exceptions to every rule and Kunitz and Neal are 2 of my main exceptions. The trade is close and I could definitely a case see not making it. I love me some Moulson but I'm not very high on Kopitar. I think he is overrated in fantasy formats and the Kings are such a defensive team that I hate owning anyone on their team but Quick. IMO it goes 1 Neal,2 Moulson,3 Kopitar,4 Iggy.

Banned

You know I love Moulson!

Who had more even strength goals on the Island last year?

Boyes
    Moulson
    Grabner
    Bailey

And where did Moulson rank on the list?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not in a keeper, no way. I wouldn't even do that trade in a one-year league. Considering that SOG isn't a scoring category, Neal's value diminishes big time.

Kopi + Moulson >>> Iggy + Neal.

Moulson is way underrated and will finish very close to Neal this season (wouldn't shock me if he outscored him), and Iggy won't do anything special, especially in Boston.
    Last edited by blayze; September 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Haha yes normally I do say that, but Neal and Kunitz there are exceptions to every rule and Kunitz and Neal are 2 of my main exceptions. The trade is close and I could definitely a case see not making it. I love me some Moulson but I'm not very high on Kopitar. I think he is overrated in fantasy formats and the Kings are such a defensive team that I hate owning anyone on their team but Quick. IMO it goes 1 Neal,2 Moulson,3 Kopitar,4 Iggy.

Agree to disagree. In my view it's insanity to say Neal is by far the better own with these scoring categories, but hey to each his own.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Moulson was last. Grab 1st. Good thing ppp is a stat in this league lol. Makes Moulsin extremely valuable!