Thread: When do you drop a player?

Dobber Sports Ace

Question When do you drop a player?

I am interested to know how other managers decide when to drop a player and look for a replacment on the waiver wire or through a trade.

If they don't score any points for a 4-5 games is it time to go or do you give them longer? Is it a change in line mates that mkes you think it is time for a change.

Of course this could depend on your league set up, a player maybe on your roster just to provide hits or blocked shots rather than goals and assists but the question remains the same.There are of course those players that you don't drop, even if they go through a cold spell, especially if you are in a keeper league, so this really goes for your fillers in that type of league.

How long is the leash before the dog house beckons???
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Veteran

In a keeper league the leash is long. Very long. If there is anything I have learned, panicking due to a player being on a drought is perhaps the worst thing you can do.

If anything, target players with pedigree who ARE slumping. The only time you should drop players in a keeper are if:

1) playoffs are near
    2) the player is underperforming on the season (ie. typically because of linemates, injury, etc)
    3) shooting percentage is still around his career average
    4) a waiver wire player is showing potential to sustain a streak

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think it really depends on who the player is and what the alternatives are - if it's a very shallow league with an abundance of options I'm more likely to move quickly, vs. a league that is very deep where someone will immediately grab the guy that I've dropped.

For example, I held on to Mike Green all of last year, through his crappy start and his multiple injuries. Why? Because I thought he was probably going to 1) be better than anyone else on the wire, and 2) get snatched up immediately by someone who is willing to be more patient.

Administrator

To me the biggest factor is the value of the best waiver wire player available vs the player giving you headaches. You should never just drop someone for the sake of dropping him just because he is having a tough stretch. The key is which player comes in as the replacement.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm in a daily start league and if this player is a low profile rental player that's on my roster, I give him maybe 1-2 nights if I don't see the numbers that I'm looking for. If they still have low activity stats like low sog, low ice time with no scoring, then I dump them for the next player in line. I'm all about momentum. Core players, you have to keep no matter how bad they are during the year unless you're extremely desperate for production.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion