Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most overpaid player?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Most overpaid player?

Just curious who people think is the most overpaid?

I think Kunitz would have to be the main guy. He costs more than Crosby.

Any others?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

Not sure how much Kunitz makes, but he got a lot of points last year, which probably doesn't make him as overpaid as guys like Scott Gomez or Rick Dipietro.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Not sure how much Kunitz makes, but he got a lot of points last year, which probably doesn't make him as overpaid as guys like Scott Gomez or Rick Dipietro.
    I'm talking about in the Dobbernomics game.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Defence only.....

Mark Fraser is the most overpaid player at 4.23M

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think Kunitz is overpaid but Fraser is nuts. Reimer and Fasth both seem on the high side as well when looking at goalies.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Kadri at over $7 million is too high to invest in. If he manages to match last year's performance, which I think is unlikely, then he might be worth 7, but there is far too much risk associated with him to invest that much at the start of the season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yup Ed. - I think there are lots of players who are overpriced at the moment - there will be a quick market adjustment in the first week for sure.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Kinda weird how some players are grossly overpriced, while other players are so underpriced. Once the game goes live those numbers will flip I'm sure but for now some of these prices are just weird.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Defence only.....

Mark Fraser is the most overpaid player at 4.23M
    Fraser will make $1,275,000 this year(1 year deal). Where did this number come from

Edit: Oh its not real life

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Kinda weird how some players are grossly overpriced, while other players are so underpriced. Once the game goes live those numbers will flip I'm sure but for now some of these prices are just weird.
    There's a heavy correlation between a skater's starting value and hos performance last season.
    Taking it up one notch at Dobbernomics

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by daggeg View Post
    There's a heavy correlation between a skater's starting value and hos performance last season.
    Yeah I was pretty sure that was the case - if a guy ended the season on a hot streak and lots of guys were grabbing him, that would explain some of the extraordinary prices.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Yeah I was pretty sure that was the case - if a guy ended the season on a hot streak and lots of guys were grabbing him, that would explain some of the extraordinary prices.
    Actually, last season's values have not been considered when calculating the starting values for this season. The (by far) most contributing factor in our algorithm for calculating the player prices is last year's performance in terms of Dobber points. I.e. how well they performed on the ice in relation to our scoring rubric.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Actually, last season's values have not been considered when calculating the starting values for this season. The (by far) most contributing factor in our algorithm for calculating the player prices is last year's performance in terms of Dobber points. I.e. how well they performed on the ice in relation to our scoring rubric.
    Okay, I can see how that works. So while you are in the sharing mood, how about letting us know what drives players values up or down during the season.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well, I don't want to go to much into details since 1, we've been spending a couple of years developing the algorithms and 2, they're as close as we get to intellectual property.

They've become more and more complicated over time, perhaps a bit more complicated than you'd first expect since we use a multivariate approach. But I can say that the most contributing factors are the numbers of teams, managers and trades.

And for all of you who didn't play at our old site, SweGamers Market Fantasy Hockey, I think the best you can do to prepare yourselves for the market part of the game is to read our game guide.

http://www.dobbernomics.com/hockey/i...item=gameguide

Then, when the season is underway, you'll get a feel for it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well, I don't want to go to much into details since 1, we've been spending a couple of years developing the algorithms and 2, they're as close as we get to intellectual property.

They've become more and more complicated over time, perhaps a bit more complicated than you'd first expect since we use a multivariate approach. But I can say that the most contributing factors are the numbers of teams, managers and trades.

And for all of you who didn't play at our old site, SweGamers Market Fantasy Hockey, I think the best you can do to prepare yourselves for the market part of the game is to read our game guide.

http://www.dobbernomics.com/hockey/i...item=gameguide

Then, when the season is underway, you'll get a feel for it.
    What's the difference between a team and a manager in your discussion.

I have to say that the marketing approach of "try it, you will like it, but we aren't going to tell you how it works because we are afraid someone will steal our idea" isn't exactly potent. Most of us wouldn't understand an algorithm anyway, but what we will understand is a more in depth discussion about what forces act on a players price to make it go up or down.

You want people to play the game? Help them understand it in more depth. Get a successful past user to write up a strategy piece or something.

And can I tell you something else? This "Then, when the season is underway, you'll get a feel for it." really encourages me to say - oh stuff it - I will get my jollies somewhere else - how frigging patronizing.

One of the things that I don't seem to be able to find in your guide is how to kill my teams and leave the system - could you lay that out for me?
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM.