Thread: Yahoo O-Rank sleepers

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Yahoo O-Rank sleepers

Hey guys,

As you can tell I haven't been around here much lately. Life = hectic. Anyway I was wondering if there was already a thread out there on Yahoo O-Rank sleepers, or if people could provide me with a good list of them. This is probably the most unprepared I've been for a draft ever and my draft is at 9:30pm EST tonight.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Star

i didnt really look at anything at the top of the list but i compiled some last week which i thought may be undervalued

Yahoo rated low

Getzlaf 42
    Simmonds 131
    MKoivu 155
    Hartnell 158
    Goligoski 160
    Burns 167
    Voynov 168
    Johansson 190
    Carle 191
    Dubinsky 224
    Girardi 227
    Giordano 230
    Burrows 242
    Erat 248
    Drouin 236
    Mackinnon 253
    Tanguay 267
    Zajac 269
    Whitney 271
    Clowe 300
    Versteeg 319
    Bennett 343
    Gardiner 365
    Grabovski 454
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Pro

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by tomastop View Post
    Nice find, tomastop

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ah excellent! Thanks for the great help guys, really short on time all around over the past couple of months, appreciate the pick me up!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yes, this was helpful. Rep to you.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Pro

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think in general, defensemen are vastly under-ranked. But that is the case most years. Karlsson and Letang have gotta be first rounders, yet they are going mid-late 3rd round?! There's always the concussion issue with Letang, but I can't imagine taking somebody like Tavares/Kane/Kessel ahead of either of them. For some reason nobody ever adjusts the replacement level value of defensemen vs forwards, and the cream of the crop go way too late, with the exception of Subban who is for some reason ranked appropriately.

Cory Schneider is also going to be a bargain at where he's being drafted. Even if he doesn't steal the job from Marty right away (which he probably will), he's still got a ton of value if he makes 40 starts. But he's being drafted like a third-string fantasy goalie.

And of course, my perennial "why does nobody realize how good he is?" favourite, Mikko Koivu. The not-so-poor man's Jason Spezza that can be had literally 10 rounds later.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    And of course, my perennial "why does nobody realize how good he is?" favourite, Mikko Koivu. The not-so-poor man's Jason Spezza that can be had literally 10 rounds later.
    Haha, love this. I just finished an "Experts" draft and got M.Koivu in the 12th round! lol Awesome. He and the entire Wild team are coming off a horrible year. This year should be better offensively. We'll see I guess, but I'm with you here SB.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

I think in general, defensemen are vastly under-ranked. But that is the case most years. Karlsson and Letang have gotta be first rounders, yet they are going mid-late 3rd round?! There's always the concussion issue with Letang, but I can't imagine taking somebody like Tavares/Kane/Kessel ahead of either of them. For some reason nobody ever adjusts the replacement level value of defensemen vs forwards, and the cream of the crop go way too late, with the exception of Subban who is for some reason ranked appropriately.

Cory Schneider is also going to be a bargain at where he's being drafted. Even if he doesn't steal the job from Marty right away (which he probably will), he's still got a ton of value if he makes 40 starts. But he's being drafted like a third-string fantasy goalie.

While I do agree with some of your observations (Schneider, M Koivu), I have to disagree with your comment around Letang (with his Band Aid boy credentials) going ahead of Tavares, P Kane OR Kessel! I simply don't see it. Karlsson, possibly but that too, not before Tavares, unless the league has special weightage for D Goals and Assists. Also, I would take Subban before Letang. To me, in a 12 team league, I can see Karlsson going late Round 1 - early Round 2, and Letang going Round 3 or 4.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post
    Karlsson ... not before Tavares, unless the league has special weightage for D Goals and Assists.
    That's the thing, there is inherent increased value for every stat by a defenseman since the replacement level is so terrible for them. Fantasy Hockey valuation is so far behind the times in this regard.

For example:

Best waiver wire defenseman is worth 5 fantasy points, and the best waiver wire forward is worth 22 fantasy points. If Karlsson is worth 40 fantasy points and Tavares is worth 55 fantasy points, Karlsson is the more valuable fantasy player (35 points above replacement versus 33 points above replacement). That's a simplistic example, but there are very sound ways to create values from a projection set.

This would be a pet peeve of mine if it didn't present so many opportunities to exploit.

Dobber Sports Stud

That's the thing, there is inherent increased value for every stat by a defenseman since the replacement level is so terrible for them. Fantasy Hockey valuation is so far behind the times in this regard.

For example:

Best waiver wire defenseman is worth 5 fantasy points, and the best waiver wire forward is worth 22 fantasy points. If Karlsson is worth 40 fantasy points and Tavares is worth 55 fantasy points, Karlsson is the more valuable fantasy player (35 points above replacement versus 33 points above replacement). That's a simplistic example, but there are very sound ways to create values from a projection set.

This would be a pet peeve of mine if it didn't present so many opportunities to exploit.
    Couldn't agree more! Karlsson's 70+ potential put's him squarely as an early to mid 1st rounder and I'd draft him over every single forward after the big four are off the board. As you've pointed out, the replacement level for forwards and especially for C's is quite high. In fact, during my 15 team $$ league draft I was praying NOT to get randomly assigned a high pick because I knew I could grab Karlsson late in the 1st round.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'd like to point out that jsuites of the Dobber Hockey forums actually penciled this piece.

Huge shout out to him on a job well done.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I'd like to point out that jsuites of the Dobber Hockey forums actually penciled this piece.

Huge shout out to him on a job well done.
    Hear, hear! Great job, jsuites. Classy dude!
    HHG - Amish Flyers
    10 team roto keeper (keep 17) w/50-man minors
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,H,Blk,P2D,SktPts;W,GAA,SV%
    6-Time League Champ
    Active
    F: Barkov/Gaudreau/Guentzel/Tarasenko/Laine/Point/Teravainen/Norris/Bratt/BSchenn/Schmaltz/Ek
    D: Hughes/Weegar/Trouba/Klingberg/Pionk/Ghost/Spurgeon
    G: Jarry/Kuemper/Husso/Ullmark
    Minors
    F: Robertson/Hintz/Lafreniere/Batherson/Farabee/Jeannot/Frost/Tomasino/Garland/Holtz/Sillinger/Johnston/McMichael/Podkolzin/Maccelli/Beck/Brisson
    D: Nemec/Lundkvist/Zellweger/Rathbone/POJoseph/Hutson/Fehervary
    G: Swayman/Wallstedt/Brossoit/Fedotov/Prosvetov/Vejmelka/Prosvetov