Thread: Draft a goalie first round?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Draft a goalie first round?

For a 16 team league with your first round pick would you rather have a top tier goalie:

quick/rinne or
    a stud F such as Neal/Giroux or (ovie,sid,malkin,jt,stamkos are taken)
    a top dman like Karlsson/Subban

If i wait for a goalie in the 2nd round the tier 1 guys will be gone I am sure

Roto, 6x3 cats are G,A,+-,ppp,sog,hits W,gaa,sv's
    12 Team H2H - 3C/3LW/3RW/4D/4BN
    G,A,PPP,PIM,+-,SOG,SHP
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Dobber Sports Sage

Giroux would be my choice if he was there, then I would take a G in the 2nd.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by holypuck View Post
    For a 16 team league with your first round pick would you rather have a top tier goalie:

quick/rinne or
    a stud F such as Neal/Giroux or (ovie,sid,malkin,jt,stamkos are taken)
    a top dman like Karlsson/Subban

If i wait for a goalie in the 2nd round the tier 1 guys will be gone I am sure

Roto, 6x3 cats are G,A,+-,ppp,sog,hits W,gaa,sv's
    Generally speaking, with two of your three goalie categories being quantity based, I don't think you need a tier one goalie, just ones that are solid, on good enough teams and are workhorses. I'd probably go Giroux as well if he was available, and then possibly grab a Niemi/Howard/Crawford/Luongo type goalie in the second.

That being said, it depends when you are drafting. Do you know? That could make a big difference. Also, do you start two goalies? What does the rest of your starting roster setup look like?

Dobber Sports Giant

Giroux is a stud; get him if you can. After that, if Karlsson is still available, I would go for him. With your third round pick (or your second if Karlsson is gone), I would go for a goalie (Niemi, Howard, Crawford). If those guys are gone, I would hold out until the next round and try to draft Price or Luongo.

With W, GAA, and SVS, even a goalie like Lehtonen and Backstrom become very interesting, so I would not go crazy here. Waiting a while will just hurt you in the W category in my opinion but if you can get some solid forwards with the earlier picks, it might help balance things out!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks, it is a start 2 goalie, i'm picking midway through the first round, so giroux may not still be there, if he is i will probably grab him, if not should i still take a F like a Neal or P.Kane or D Karlsson over quick/rinne?
    12 Team H2H - 3C/3LW/3RW/4D/4BN
    G,A,PPP,PIM,+-,SOG,SHP
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Dobber Sports Rookie

In a standard head-to-head league, at what position overall should the first goalie be drafted?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Generally speaking, it depends where you're picking in the first round and the scoring format. If you're picking later in the round AND the goalies are valuable then perhaps you can justify it, but if you're picking early then stick to a forward.

Based on your specific format, I wouldn't touch a goalie in the first round. There are no categories for save %, so elite goalies aren't as important and a guy who sees a lot of rubber like Cam Ward could be very effective - you can get these guys in the later rounds.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Mayzerr View Post
    In a standard head-to-head league, at what position overall should the first goalie be drafted?
    It really depends on when they start going. If you take one in top 20 picks or so but nobody else does until 50+ then you wasted a pick. Keep the top 10 or so goalies at the top of your draft list so you can see when they start to go.

Overall, I would say drafting goalies is dynamic, not static, so it's hard to give a difinitive answer. And yes, scoring settings play a part as well.