Thread: [B]Strategies For Dobbernomics[/B]

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default [B]Strategies For Dobbernomics[/B]

I've been in the same pool for about 15 years now and I think I have a great pol format that is as close to being general manager as possible. That being said it has unfortunately altered my view of hockey stats into a fairly rigid system of thought in terms of player values. Looking to expand my views and have decided to try my hand at Dobbernomics.

In looking at Dobbernomics the biggest question that I have is how to spend the dollars that I have to start, do you go all in or do you find a bargain or two and save your cap money? Is there an advantage to keeping say a Stamkos on the bench and banking 4 million dollars? Is there a cap on how high a player can rise? Any advice in this vein will help as I see I am the only one in my league who has built a team and I tinker with it everyday as it is free to do so now, is that a mistake in tipping my hand? I understand the concept just trying to figure out the best way to execute it.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Dickie Dunn; September 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM.
    14 Team Cap League, 20 Keeper,4 C, 8 W, 6 D, 15 Prospects
    Forwards G,A,+/-, 1/3 PIMS
    Goalie, Wx2, SOx3, GAA, SVP, G,A,1/4PIM
    C: Backes, Kesler, Johansen, Johnson, Karlson, Wennberg, Gagner
    W: Parise, Hartnell, Simmonds, Kucherov, Callahan,Steen, Coyle, Maroon, Attkinson, Lowry, Lupul, Morin, Stalberg
    D: Letang, Subban, Keith, Klingberg, Del Zotto, Savard, Larsson, Schultz, Gudas
    G: Fleury, Quick
    Prospects: (Less then 42 games in a season)
    C: Nick Shore
    W: Beck, Erne, Paul, Duclair, Mashinter, Pakarinen
    D: Percy, Gormley,
    G: Khubodin, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie Dunn View Post
    I've been in the same pool for about 15 years now and I think I have a great pol format that is as close to being general manager as possible. That being said it has unfortunately altered my view of hockey stats into a fairly rigid system of thought in terms of player values. Looking to expand my views and have decided to try my hand at Dobbernomics.

In looking at Dobbernomics the biggest question that I have is how to spend the dollars that I have to start, do you go all in or do you find a bargain or two and save your cap money? Is there an advantage to keeping say a Stamkos on the bench and banking 4 million dollars? Is there a cap on how high a player can rise? Any advice in this vein will help as I see I am the only one in my league who has built a team and I tinker with it everyday as it is free to do so now, is that a mistake in tipping my hand? I understand the concept just trying to figure out the best way to execute it.

Thoughts?
    Well I am new to this format but I have been working hard to get a handle on things. I am happy to share some of my thoughts with you.

There is no cap on players rising but it looks to me like in and around the 10M-11M is a natural cap.

You can't tip your hand by tinkering - no one else can see your team as far as I know. But if you have players that you think are undervalued and you want to see their value rise, it is probably a good thing to share the names so that perhaps other guys buy in as well - that is how the value goes up.

Ideally in the end, you want to make enough money to buy all the best players at each position so that you win the points side of things, but I think if you focus on that to the exclusion of putting up some decent points, once you have the money it will be too little too late. So some kind of moderation plan makes sense to me.

I am not sure it is a winning formula, but I kinda like the idea of buying 3 high end guys (again looking for possible value in their price) and 3 low priced guys who should be productive and hopefully take the money train route up, giving you lots of cash to play with. I think the other 6 players can be in mid-range price wise, but again you want production at a good price. I see the top of the range for the best 2nd tier forwards at about 7M and top of the range for the best 2nd tier D guys in around 5M. Goalies look like they follow the forward structure. So I am going to use those as sell points if my guys get close and I think I can find better production elsewhere.

Both teams I have put together still have cash in the bank once all the positions are filled - I don't see that as an issue - if you have the value players you want to start the season. Having the cash to move quickly on someone that looks like a rocket going up is likely a good idea, combining it with the money from the guy you need to sell off to make room.

I have now gone through nearly 250 players and calculated a $ figure per fantasy point they are projected to produce. Comparing that with other players and considering their contract value gives one a pretty good view of which players seem to be carrying a lot of latent value.

I think this is likely the most complicated and challenging fantasy format I have run into - it is going to take constant attention for one. Perhaps it will come with experience but I don't see a clear cut strategy that is a winner. For instance if you catch 6 very cheap guys who go for a ride - you could bankroll the points side in short order.

Good luck with this.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

The Great One

I am pretty sure a player can rise a maximum of +$250,000 in one day.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    You can't tip your hand by tinkering - no one else can see your team as far as I know. But if you have players that you think are undervalued and you want to see their value rise, it is probably a good thing to share the names so that perhaps other guys buy in as well - that is how the value goes up.
    ...as in manipulating the market? lol

Dobber Sports Master

strategy I've always employed was looking at the nhl sked in blocks of 14 days and trading in and out of players with good schedules / bad schedules .

by the time 2 weeks is up you've banked 10 trades (unless you require burning a few due to injury)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    strategy I've always employed was looking at the nhl sked in blocks of 14 days and trading in and out of players with good schedules / bad schedules .

by the time 2 weeks is up you've banked 10 trades (unless you require burning a few due to injury)
    Yeah I have been thinking along those lines too - like I implied earlier - micromanagement is what it takes I think.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Yeah I have been thinking along those lines too - like I implied earlier - micromanagement is what it takes I think.
    I agree. Picking up flavour of the weeks is going to be the key to making money. It's going to come down to timing.

Goaltenders play a huge role as they can get a lot of fantasy points. This is one position not to mess with, I think. I don't care about making money on this position, but I'm sure a couple goalies will heavily increase in value when the season starts.

Dobber Sports Stud

Curious to see how much schedule plays into this. I'd love to think I don't have to pay THAT much attention but I'm almost certain I'm wrong about that

There are some great deals out there to start the season....almost to the point of making me wonder 'why bother?'. Lets be honest, is there a team out there without Erik Karlsson at under 5 mil? So what happens when we all start the season with Karlsson, does his value go up or do we just all start with the same player which will essentially cancel out his value across the board?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

The very first fantasy league I ever played was a CBS one similar to this for the NBA back in 2002. There are differences (that one had a roster of only 6 players, I think, and was limited to 2 trades a week which did not roll-over), but that league required regular management and I think the differences between the two mean that this will require even closer management.

Agree with above posters that the winner will need the right mix of cashing on low value guys that go on a tear (can anyone say Grabovski?) and managing schedules to maximize games played / opportunity for points.