Thread: Trade my Pavalec for Beau Bennett and a 2nd rounder?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Trade my Pavalec for Beau Bennett and a 2nd rounder?

I have purchased Dobbers guide and read all the hype in pavalec. He's currently my 3rd tender so depth value only in an 11 team league.

I have Rinne and Crawford.

I've already pitched straight up trade for Schnieder ( in another thread ) but here's my alternative...

Trade to the new expansion team for a player, targeting Bennett and his 2nd round pick...12th over all. Coil potentially grab a Ramo or Reimer with that pick.

Is Bennett and draft pick worth moving my 3rd tender? If not Bennett...perhaps another young talent (can't include this years draftees) like Tarasenko or Scheifle, or any young talent not included in this years draft?

Or stand pat?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

You have Rinne and Crawford, you don't need a third goalie IMO.

However, this deal makes zero sense. Goalies are always valuable and if he's offering a prospect and a second round pick that's pretty much a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Keep Pavelec and hold out for more. If you can get Vladdy T, get that done ASAP.
    Last edited by dmvincent; September 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Of the players you mentioned above I would try for Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't mind the deal, but I wouldn't take Reimer or Ramo with the 12th pick. I'd go more with a more established guy or another young guy that may be poised to have a breakout season, and try to grab a goalie a bit later if you can.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I don't mind the deal, but I wouldn't take Reimer or Ramo with the 12th pick. I'd go more with a more established guy or another young guy that may be poised to have a breakout season, and try to grab a goalie a bit later if you can.
    Thanks Newf... To expand on this...this is an expansion year taking us to 11 teams this year...12 next year. If I move Pavelec the only Goalies I figure will be left are:
    Pos Goaltenders Eligible W GA SV SHO Fan Pts
    G Viktor Fasth (Anh - G) 15 52 609 4 374
    G Ray Emery (Phi - G) 17 36 424 3 364
    G Tomas Vokoun (Pit - G) 13 42 477 3 297
    G Ben Bishop (TB - G) 11 56 645 2 280
    G Brian Elliott (StL - G) 14 49 477 3 242
    G Robin Lehner (Ott - G) 5 27 397 0 202
    G Anton Khudobin (Bos - G) 9 31 357 1 197
    G Ilya Bryzgalov (Phi - G) 19 107 959 1 189
    G Ben Scrivens (LA - G) 7 46 496 2 171
    G Martin Brodeur (NJ - G) 13 65 589 2 164
    G Steve Mason (Phi - G) 7 47 514 0 149
    G Jake Allen (StL - G) 9 33 313 1 133
    G Anders Lindback (TB - G) 10 63 579 0 99
    G Jean-Sebastien Giguere (Col - G) 5 43 426 0 71
    G Michal Neuvirth (Was - G) 4 33 334 0 64
    G Jose Theodore (Fla - G) 4 42 349 0 -11
    G Johan Hedberg (NJ - G) 6 51 384 1 -21

See my Dilema. I seriously need to consider keeping 3 goalies next year when we do our final expansion to 12 teams cause they will be few and far between.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Thanks Newf... To expand on this...this is an expansion year taking us to 11 teams this year...12 next year. If I move Pavelec the only Goalies I figure will be left are:
    Pos Goaltenders Eligible W GA SV SHO Fan Pts
    G Viktor Fasth (Anh - G) 15 52 609 4 374
    G Ray Emery (Phi - G) 17 36 424 3 364
    G Tomas Vokoun (Pit - G) 13 42 477 3 297
    G Ben Bishop (TB - G) 11 56 645 2 280
    G Brian Elliott (StL - G) 14 49 477 3 242
    G Robin Lehner (Ott - G) 5 27 397 0 202
    G Anton Khudobin (Bos - G) 9 31 357 1 197
    G Ilya Bryzgalov (Phi - G) 19 107 959 1 189
    G Ben Scrivens (LA - G) 7 46 496 2 171
    G Martin Brodeur (NJ - G) 13 65 589 2 164
    G Steve Mason (Phi - G) 7 47 514 0 149
    G Jake Allen (StL - G) 9 33 313 1 133
    G Anders Lindback (TB - G) 10 63 579 0 99
    G Jean-Sebastien Giguere (Col - G) 5 43 426 0 71
    G Michal Neuvirth (Was - G) 4 33 334 0 64
    G Jose Theodore (Fla - G) 4 42 349 0 -11
    G Johan Hedberg (NJ - G) 6 51 384 1 -21

See my Dilema. I seriously need to consider keeping 3 goalies next year when we do our final expansion to 12 teams cause they will be few and far between.
    There's some good possible #1 goalies in there. Lindback/Bishop. Mason/Emery.

But I would take Lehner with that pick instead of Ramo or Reimer. He may be a year or two away from being the #1 goalie, but he will be the #1 goalie in Ottawa.

Lehner plus Bennett for Pavelec is a lot closer in my mind. I'd probably make that deal.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Lehner plus Bennett for Pavelec is a lot closer in my mind. I'd probably make that deal.
    If you make that deal, will Bennett and Lehner both make your 14-keeper list at the end of the year? That's the sort of thing I'd think about. If there is some doubt, I'd hold Pavelec and then consider flipping him later this year in the event another team runs into an injury situation or something.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If you make that deal, will Bennett and Lehner both make your 14-keeper list at the end of the year? That's the sort of thing I'd think about. If there is some doubt, I'd hold Pavelec and then consider flipping him later this year in the event another team runs into an injury situation or something.
    Now THAT DOES make sense. Great point. 1 of the two may...but either depend on how they do this year so potentially no. Right now I have a bonafide (yet fragile and not so sexy) work horse starter. Thanks for flicking that light on...(and others above). I wasn't thinking about next year (even after saying how much I should be!).

The only other potential move I see is flipping Pavelec for Schneider which I still think I'd consider even with Schneider's limited playing time...either are a spot start for me this year anyway...but I do like Schnieder and it seems no matter how bad/boring NJ is...they always have a stingy defensive style.

Thanks All. I've made up my mid on this thread. Rep to those I could.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not to go back on my decision...but caught wind of some available players...

What about Lucic and the 12th pick overall for Pavy?

Does that change things?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Not to go back on my decision...but caught wind of some available players...

What about Lucic and the 12th pick overall for Pavy?

Does that change things?
    Lucic is maybe a small upgrade on Semin (I expect he'll have a better plus/minus and more PIMs)...but his scoring funk last year would have me a bit concerned.

If you believe Dobber and that Pavelec will have a great year (due to weak schedule and tons of starts), I still think you are better off keeping Pavelec and looking to deal him mid-season. Unless you can package him up for something that is a clear upgrade on your team. Lucic is maybe an upgrade, tough call.

[Does your league have a farm or special rules to protect rookies? What do you peg the value at the 12th pick this year?]