Thread: Stats help

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Stats help

Hey guys,
    Looking for help determing level of importance from D to F to G in my league.
    Anyone have a special formula? Let me start off by saying, I value goaltending the least.

Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Shootout Save=.2

What I'm thinking is like this: The average Dmen fantasy pts per game avg of the dmen available for the draft ranges from 1.9 to 1.40 in the top 20. (things will change once all drops are done). Top 20 for forwards is more like 1.9 to 1.56
    and for goalies its more like 3 to 2.25 (but a lot are backups)

Its clear to me that any fwd that avg's 3+ pts per game should be kept especially since we dress more 9 than D 5 and G 2.
    Any Dman over 2.5 should be kept (yandle is 2.24 and Voynov 1.7) so not many should be kept since free agents Martin (2.59) and Franson (2.01) to keeper Mike Green (2.69) is that large a difference.
    Goalies I'm thinking there are always fall back options like Lehtonen and Pavelec and Varlamov who will get you between 2.71 - 3.59 avg pts per game rather than keep a lehtonen over a marchand 3.18 to lehtonen's 3.54

The drop off at fwd is much greater than lets say Lehtonen to varlamov.

There always seems to be Surprises at all positions...I'm confused on who I should keep for 2 spots between Marchand, Tlusty, Voynov and Yandle.

Any math wizzes out there have a easier way to look at it!?

sorry for the mess write up
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Master

I think what you're asking here is the 'value above (or below) the mean' for players.

Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect:

You want to know where to use high picks/keeper choices based on the players' value relative to their position, ie top goalie is a 30pt jump over average whereas top d man is a 10pt jump over average, thus the top goalie has a higher relative value.

Assuming this is the case you need to get the average for the likely owned players at each position. I would suggest you actually go with median and not mean (midpoint, not average) for the following reason:
    avg = 50 mean = 20
    Thus the top 2 players are worth 2x mean and 5x median...

Anyway, it'll take a bit of math (and by math I mean spreadsheet work) but you should have a pretty good idea of comparative values without to arduous of a task.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Genius

Top available goalies, dmen and fwds don't have THAT big a jump over the avg....
    All the players I'm considering keeping are slightly better than avg with unproven track records...marchand and Tlusty. After looking at the rankings on here I think I've ruled out Voynov...watch him be the best of the bunch but dobber rankings has him much lower then a lot of avg Dmen.

I'm thinking back to last year during the season, it seemed to be more difficult to find a GOOD producing fwd that didn't drive you nuts with his -1 or or 0 pt weeks. Where as the waiver foddler dman could easily pick up a 3 or 4 pts. Goaltending....so many avg goalies all seem to have similar pts totals at end of year. The more I talk the more confused I get.
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson