Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Were these 4 trades good or bad for my team?

Dobber Sports Veteran

#1 Awful
    #2 Sets you way way back and looks bad but could even out many years down the road depending on how good those young guys get and depending on if Ovechkin ever goes to KHL
    #3 Not the end of the world but it sets you back and I think you could have gotten more
    #4 Horrible...probably the worst one

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't get any of the trades. You're trading elite players for prospects that may never hit that level. Then you'll be stuck with a bunch of guys no one wants.

Let me put it this way. Just say four years ago, you took over a team and decided to rebuild. You trade away Ovi, Thornton, Semin, Lundqvist and Quick, and in return you got Skinner, Stepan, Paarjarvi, Omark, Blum and Evander Kane.

You then tank, and draft RNH and Yakupov with your next two picks.

Where exactly are you in your rebuild? Your team sucks. You have no one expected to be a top 10 scorer anytime soon. You have no elite goaltending. You have no depth. Your prospects never amounted to very much.

But the guys you traded away are still playing and still at the top of their game. But you missed out of great seasons because of your rebuild, and your team is still years away from being any good.

A rebuild should take no more than two years. Don't overvalue prospects over proven talent. Prospects/rookies don't always pan out.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

All those trades are terrible and rushed.
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

The Great One

The fact that he's saying he likes the Ovechkin trade reminds me of the recent trolling thread. He's just looking for a reaction. This thread is not serious, just like it wasn't serious the first time he posted in a number of months ago.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Unless the goal in your league is to cumulate the least number of everything, then you should stick to your day job...

Any GM would have been fired after the first trade... that you got to make 3 even worse ones is actually... entertaining.

Ovechkin should/would get you 2-3 really good players with NHL production. If not, you smile and enjoy his production !

Good luck with the rebuild... And don't trade Mackinnon
    TEAMS: 13
    ROSTER: 12F, 6D, 2G, 4bench (keep 10)
    SCORING: G/A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

TEAM
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Gaudreau, Panarin, P.Kane, Guentzel
    D: Hedman, Q.Hughes
    G: Jarry, Andersen

FARM
    F: Cozens, Kaliyev, Kupari, Lundestrom, Berggren, Bordeleau, Lunderstrom, Stankoven, W.Johnston, Coronato
    D: L.Hugues, Merkley, Valimaki, Juolevi
    G: Francouz, Lankinen

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default cant play without competing

To answer your question about y would you want to compete. It's no fun to play unless you play to win. Playing to finish last to get the #1 pick just makes no sense to me. In my 16 team keeper league i finished in 10th place in 2010. Just 2 yrs. later took the Championship without dumping the season to get the #1 pick.

I'd rather not play at all if I'm gonna play to lose!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan712 View Post

I see the other managers don't really get 18,19 year old prospects because everyone is in there to win that year.
    In that case you should definitely have received more in the Ovechkin deal. If you have a lot of guys in win-now mode, then getting youth for your established guys shouldn't be anywhere near that expensive. At the very least you shouldn't have had to include Brown and Gaborik in that deal.

$25 buy in per year, and you plan on tanking for 3-4 years before you might start to see some results? That's one hell of an investment, especially since I think you have dug yourself one serious hole by trading away the best parts of your core, and it may well be a longer wait than you think for those trades to pay off, if they ever do.

Are you cutting more guys than you have to pre-draft? It certainly seems that way. Since you are re-building anyway, why not hang on to guys like Okposo, Hamonic and Bailey for a year. Okposo and Bailey, while disappointing have both shown a few signs of potentially being on the upswing. Hamonic may find new scoring opportunities with Streit leaving town. What do you have to lose by hanging on to them if you have the keeper spots to do so? They are young enough to still be around when you are ready to contend. Do you really expect to get blue chip prospects to fill all of your empty roster spots in the upcoming draft? Scheifele, Couturier, etc., were owned, so it's not like your fellow GMs ignore the big prospects completely come draft time.

Also, why are you in such a hurry to drop Gormley? He is young. He has top-pairing upside, and (you'll like this part!) he has a lot of guys in his way in Phoenix, meaning he won't be productive enough to affect your tank job for at least a couple of years. Sounds like a keeper to me.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Probably all of those 4 trades would make my list of the 4 worst trades I've ever seen in my life.
    League
    Rotisserie
    10 Teams
    Keep 1 G, 2 D, 3 F + 2 rookies (1-82 regular season games)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G

Categories
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HIT, BLK
    W, SO, GAA, SV%

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 4thLine4Life View Post
    Probably all of those 4 trades would make my list of the 4 worst trades I've ever seen in my life.
    Yeah, seriously.

My problem with this thread is that he choosed "Were these 4 trades good or bad for my team?". Everybody says they were all horrible, and he keeps arguing with us, trying to give us a reasonnable explanation for them.

Bottom line is you traded your best players because you wanted to rebuild your team, but you do not know how to play fantasy hockey and you got ripped off.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

als_revenge posted that this stuntguy asked this same question a while back. It was in April of this year that he posed the same question and had the same feedback.
    I'd agree that I think he's looking for a reaction or "trolling".

Dobber Sports Prodigy

WOW can i join your league and make ya som eoffers...horrendous
    straight pts .5 for ppp keeper 10 teams keep 18
    F Marchand Marner P. Kane Nylander Tkachuk Ovechkin Kessel Toews Monahan Couturier Palmieri Kapanen Wilson Ritchie Kovalchuk Heponiemi
    D Carlson Josi Pietrangelo Mcavoy Ristolainen Fowler Gardiner Myers Lindell
    G Jarry Fleury Bobrovsky Varlamov

straight points keep 22
    F Crosby Giroux Kessel Wheeler Marchand Karlsson Toews Couturier Meier Laine Huberdeau Zucker Monahan Konecny Rust
    D Carlson Burns Hedman Schmidt Fowler Faulk Chychrun Gardiner
    G Hellebucyk Jarry Halak Dubnyk

All four are ugly trades. I'm stunned right now.
    13 Team Keeper (keep 6), Weekly H2H, Dress 6 F, 4 D, 2 G's. 1G, 1A, GW2 SO2

F: Tavares, Eichel, Hall, Schenn, Arvidson, Miller, Bertuzzi
    D: Karlsson, Pionk, Hronek, Trouba, Schmidt
    Goalies: Dubnyk, Bishop,Griess

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Enjoy last place for a very long time. What a joke!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Try baseball pool, hockey seems little unfair for you.