Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new Kadri offer

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    And what happens if your league folds? Or 1-2 of your players get concussions and you can't compete? I feel planning that far in advance could lead to too much uncertainty.
    Exactly. League could fold. You could quit due to demanding new job/girlfriend/triplets/desire to invest all your time in model railroads. A lot can happen in 10 years. While I do plan somewhat ahead, if I am contending I am not going to hesitate to acquire a guy who upgrades my team for the next 2-3 years. If I'm not likely to be a playoff team this year or next, then sure I will move out anyone 32+ for younger talent, but if I have a decent shot this year I have no problem going the other way if it helps me win.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    And what happens if your league folds? Or 1-2 of your players get concussions and you can't compete? I feel planning that far in advance could lead to too much uncertainty. Like hitman said, 3-4 years is plenty far already. Zetts is still going to be very productive.
    Obviously you don't play for the future in a league that could fold any minute. There are some leagues where that's a risk and some that just aren't. I recommend finding one that won't fold. And if 1-2 of your players gets a concussion, doesn't that prove my point even more, because with a younger player you have a larger window of opportunity to compete??

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Exactly. League could fold. You could quit due to demanding new job/girlfriend/triplets/desire to invest all your time in model railroads. A lot can happen in 10 years. While I do plan somewhat ahead, if I am contending I am not going to hesitate to acquire a guy who upgrades my team for the next 2-3 years. If I'm not likely to be a playoff team this year or next, then sure I will move out anyone 32+ for younger talent, but if I have a decent shot this year I have no problem going the other way if it helps me win.
    Don't get in a league that has a chance to fold. And if someone serious about it, they will make time regardless of outside factors. If not then, our advice doesn't really matter anyways because they will likely quit to do model trans anyways I agree with you that I don't mind getting older if it's going to help me win, but I would want a substantial upgrade if I'm moving out someone that's a decade younger for a guy that's a decade older. This I don't consider a "substantial" upgrade.

The Great One

In the long run, we are all dead.

Dobber Sports Initiate

i get Mattp's point of gettin good return on a player 10 yrs. younger than the player comin back in the deal cuz beyond the 4 or 5 yrs. Zetts may play Kadri will (might?) still have 5 or more yrs. to play.

I said "might" cuz like some of the other guys said a lot can happen over 10 yrs. , concussions , career ending injury or flash in the pan.

But gettin back to the Hitman's point of case by case basis i tend to agree with that more. If there were different players in this deal but roughly the same age difference it might not get done cuz of the pros and cons of each player has to be evaluated individually.

I feel there are other variables as well , one for me is i factor in what i have on my farm and in this case i have several good prospect centers who will soon make the jump to the pro's.If i did not have them i probably don't move Kadri.

Guys thanks for the insight and good banter! sounds like ED got a new hobby loll