Thread: Dennis Wideman

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Dennis Wideman

G, A, Hits, +/-

I'm shopping Wideman in one of my leagues and not getting a lot of interest - CGY is obviously not a strong team, but Wideman has put up basically a 40-45 point pace pretty consistently (with FLA and CGY, both weak offensive teams). He's 30 so I am thinking he will be on the downside of his career soon.

I'm trying to secure a decent prospect for him, and am wondering if Derrick Pouliot is a good option. Pouliot is a couple of years away, but I can wait if he'll be able to put up 45+ eventually. If not, who should I go after?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ace

Wideman is one of those guys that goes about his business very quietly, until you take a look at the stats, and realize he's got some value. He should still be given every opportunity to contribute in Calgary. I guess he's just not flashy enough to garner any interest. Looks like a case of finding the right buyer.

Dobber Sports Stud

As bad as the team is, he's the only real pp option so I think he'll produce. Why not wait and trade him once the season's started? I find its hard to get value for these types of guys in August.

Dobber Sports Icon

Yeah I may end up just holding on to him, but would like to parlay him into something of value down the road if possible.

Anyone think Pouliot is for real? Its the Pens after all, big opportunity for points...
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Pouliot but what I dont like is the competition Pouliot will face on his way through to get to the show. In the AHL alone, there is some serious quality Dmen all fighting for the same apple. Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington, Maatta, Despres are all earning their stripes to get a shot at the big time. Despres will probably be with the big club this season full time so thats one less team mate to battle with, but also one less spot available with the big club.

As it stands right now, only Letang and Scuderi are signed long term. Niskanen and Engelland are both on the last year of their contracts. Same for Brooks Orpik so there could be opportunities coming down the pipe but it depends on the team needs at the time. Guys like Harrington aren't big offensive guys but offer intangibles that guys like Pouliot and Dumoulin won't. Harrington will be a solid long term piece for the Penguins for many years.

As it stands, I wouldn't expect to see Pouliot in the next year or two. The creme always rises to the top, but I dont see a spot for him any time soon.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have owned Wideman in the past, and was happy with what I got out of him. Too many poo poo him for being a one dimensional player.

My only concern is that his defensive game and thus his +/- has never been all that wonderful. My question would be, how bad to you think Calgary will suck? Considering the goalie situation there and the rebuild going on, I would avoid any player like the plague at least for this year.

Of course if you want to speculate... Then again Wideman isn't exactly a player for the future either... I would take a pass this year I think were it me.
    15 Team, 2G, 5D, 10F, pts/+-, Protect 11, 5$/yr long term contracts, 200$ Salary Cap, Bidding Draft.

F: Elias Lindholm(8$), Jake Guentzel(11$), Josh Anderson(1$), Kevin Labanc(7$), William Nylander(13$), Alex Galchenyuk(2$)
    D: Victor Hedman(39$), Ryan Pulock(1$), Thomas Chabot(4$)
    G: Jacob Markstrom(1$), MacKenzie Blackwood(1$)*

Banned

I dunno dude, he kinda strikes me as one of those guys who is more valuable on your roster than as trade bait, you might want to just hold onto him and reap the benefits. You see this in every league, it's near impossible to move some of these non-sexy guys so if you're not getting any interest chances are you'd be selling him at a loss anyway. He certainly seems a likely candidate to get 40 pts on CGY

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I dunno dude, he kinda strikes me as one of those guys who is more valuable on your roster than as trade bait, you might want to just hold onto him and reap the benefits. You see this in every league, it's near impossible to move some of these non-sexy guys so if you're not getting any interest chances are you'd be selling him at a loss anyway. He certainly seems a likely candidate to get 40 pts on CGY
    Completely agree with mcgoo. He is a lock for 40pts and that's a solid Dman. I have him in one of my leagues and could not move him because people undervalue him. Keep him for now. I don't expect him to regress any time soon. Maybe if he gets on a good roll then sell high.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Anyone think Pouliot is for real? Its the Pens after all, big opportunity for points...
    Pouliot is a few years away from the NHL. And could be one or two more before he's putting up Wideman numbers. Can you afford to be that patient? It just seems to me like you could get more for Wideman. I'd wait for the season to start and just see how things go with him...