Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 Fearless Forecast Contest

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default 2013-2014 Fearless Forecast Contest

I know there are a few posts about fearless forecasts and bold predictions but I was wondering if people would be interested in a fearless forecast competition.

Here is how it would work:
    1) Make Forecasts: People who want to enter would make 5 fearless forecasts.

2) Forecasts are rated: Each fearless forecast would be rated from 1 to 5 for its ‘fearlessness’ by some sort of expert/participant panel (TBD). Predicting Sidney Crosby finishes with over 100 points might get you a 1 rating since that wouldn’t be to shocking. Predicting Kyle Wellwood getting 80 points might get you 5 points. Predicting Quick to win the Vezina would be rated less than Bishop winning the Vezina. etc. The actual rating scale will be developed by looking at all the forecasts in a big list... there might be extra points for predictions that rank closely to pigs flying.

3) Results are totaled: At the end of the season, each correct forecast gets you the points from the rating. The most points wins.

Keep in mind that all forecasts must be measurable. Don’t say "Jack Allen becomes the Blues starting goalie" but instead say "Jack Allen starts 45 or more regular season games" No half right answers: if one of your predictions is that "Drouin, MacKinnon and Nichushkin break 60 points", then all three have to do it.

All forecasts must be decided by the NHL awards next year. So predictions can include regular season playoffs, Stanley Cup winner, NHL award winners, stats, and trades. Your forecasts can be player or team related as long as it links to the NHL.

If you are interested, post your 5 fearless forecasts below. Once you make your posts, if you want to change them, just edit your original post. Please don’t re-post because it will be confusing.

I have no idea the level of interest in this so tentatively I am going to say the deadline is September 13.

Dobber Sports Guru

Do you get points for coming close? If I say Crosby won't get more than 20 points, but he gets 21, are there points for that? If not, I'd try to word it like "Crosby will get around 20 points."

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Do you get points for coming close? If I say Crosby won't get more than 20 points, but he gets 21, are there points for that? If not, I'd try to word it like "Crosby will get around 20 points."
    Close doesn't count. Just say Crosby gets between 15 and 25 points.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm in!

1) Taylor Hall wins Art Ross
    2) Kari Lehtonen receives a Vezina nomination
    3) Jeff Skinner scores 35 goals
    4) Ryan McDonagh finishes with most points among NYR d-men
    5) Byfuglien finishes with 60+ points
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

The Great One

I'd like to be on the expert panel!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I'd like to be on the expert panel!
    Cool.

Depending on the number of entries, I will see how is best to proceed with the ranking.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

1) Dubnyk gets a Vezina nomination
    2) Barkov wins the Calder
    3) Florida makes it to Round 2
    4) Bobrovsky has a sub .910 SV%
    5) Flyers end up with a top 5 pick.
    12 team, yahoo H2H Daily starts, keep 10
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SHP,SOG. W,SV%,SV,GAA,SHO
    2C,2LW,2RW,1Util,4D,2G
    C-RNH,
    LW-Benn,Kane, Drouin
    RW-Kessel,Ovechkin, Simmonds
    D-
    G-Lundqvist, Howard Gibson

Dobber Sports Pro

I like this idea...good stuff.

Here will be mine:
    1. Jonathan Drouin leads all rookies in points and takes home the Calder Trophy.
    2. The only Canadian-based team's who qualify for the playoffs will be Ottawa and Montreal.
    3. Mika Zibanejad breaks out with at least 30 goals and 65 points.
    4. Carolina's Jiri Tlusty-Eric Staal-Alex Semin line combine to be the highest scoring line in the NHL.
    5. Danny Briere finishes the season with a 0.79 points per game average or better.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lecavalier averages .9 ppg or higher
    Tyler Toffoli does not break 30 points
    Kevin Poulin starts 35+ games for NYI
    Monahan does not break 20 points
    Joe Colborne scores more than 35 points, with at least half of them post Olympic break.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I'll give it a shot...

1. Canucks finish 5th in Pacific division
    2. Schneider plays in more games than Brodeur
    3. Dubnyk wins at least 30 games AND save % at least .920
    4. Brent Burns scores at least 25 goals
    5. Calgary wins less than 30 games

Dobber Sports Stud

1- Tavares wins both Art Ross and Rocket Richard trophies.

2 - Iginla fails to score 20 goals.

3 - Brad Richards gets over 70 points.

4- Luongo wins over 42.

5- Curtis Glencross scores most goals on Flames squad.

(Mine are ranked in terms of fearlessness)

Dobber Sports Guru

1. Erik Karlsson will get less than 50 points
    2. Eric and Jordan Staal get more points than the Sedins
    3. Pascal Dupuis will get at least 70 points.
    4. Eberle will get less than 55 points.
    5. Emery/Mason win the Jennings.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Lots of awesome ones so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    4. Carolina's Jiri Tlusty-Eric Staal-Alex Semin line combine to be the highest scoring line in the NHL.
    This one I have trouble with thinking how it is quantified because a line in hockey is kind of fluid. If Crosby, Malkin and Neal player with each other sometimes but not all the time are they a line? Is there an internet source which says what the highest scoring line is (i.e. doesn't count points for player when they are not on that line)? Thoughts from the Hockey Hitman or the masses?

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    This one I have trouble with thinking how it is quantified because a line in hockey is kind of fluid. If Crosby, Malkin and Neal player with each other sometimes but not all the time are they a line? Is there an internet source which says what the highest scoring line is (i.e. doesn't count points for player when they are not on that line)? Thoughts from the Hockey Hitman or the masses?
    You can use the Frozen Tool production line (http://hockey.dobbersports.com/froze...production.php). You type in a player, and it tells you was involved in all the points the guy scored.

For example, if you type in Datsyuk, it will show you that Brunner, Datsyuk, Franzen and Zetterberg were on the ice when Datsyuk got nine points, Abdelkader and Franzen when Datsyuk got six points, etc.

It wouldn't be hard to disprove. We should have an idea if the Carolina line is the top scoring line at the end of the season. If it's close, then you can compare a couple of players from different lines to see. All it takes is one line outscoring Carolina for it to be wrong.

The Wolverine

1. Boston's regular season leading scorer (joint or solo) will be Jarome Iginla.
    2. Calgary will end up with more points than Edmonton.
    3. Brent Burns will score less than 40 points.
    4. The Islanders will make the Eastern Conference Final.
    5. Chris Kunitz will score less points in this regular season than he did in last year's shortened season (52). Note - if he gets injured, my prediction still stands.
    Last edited by horrorfan; August 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM.