Thread: Is Corey Perry overvalued?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is Corey Perry overvalued?

He had a big season with 98 points, but that was three years ago. Since, he had 60 points in 80 games two years ago then 36 points in 44 games last year.

Is he overvalued?

I would like to get a goalie for my 10 keepers and I can trade Perry straight for Rinne, Luongo or Fleury in my hockey pool. Stats: G, A, PTS, PPP, HIT, BLK, W, SV%, GAA. Should I make a trade?

Dobber Sports Expert

Who else are you keepers?

If after Perry your best forward keeper is David Desharnais.. then keep Perry.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Initiate

In a league without PIMs Perry loses a lot of value. That said his 70+ points still makes him a top 15-20 player.

What does the rest of your roster looks like?
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yes. I always tell people that Perry is way overrated and isn't all that valuable in leagues without PMIN. I've said it to multiple people regrding him on these forums. Trade him before people realize what you and I realize...there are people out there that consider him close to elite. And something else to keep in mind is that the last 2 seasons were his contract years which is when many players play their best.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think he is too. People value him as a 90 point player when he's more like a 70 point player.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Perry owner here. I can confirm.

He's valued as a 90+ point player, and consistent at that. In reality, he's a 65-75 point player, with not much additional value in a league that doesn't count PIMs. I've begun shopping him to fetch a good return.

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree with the other opinions here, Perry's an excellent player when you count PIMs and he's just high average without them. If you can get Rinne straight up for your Perry then you've done well.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sage

Perry is overrated if his PIMs and Shots are not scored. Plus, his RW can help. In my league, all 3 contribute to making him a valuable player.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree he's not a 90 pt player, but one more bonus is he's a goal scorer. In leagues that have bonus for goals (heavier goal weighting, GWG, hat tricks, etc etc) his value gets a boost as well. In a league that includes PIMS, shots, hits and goal bonus I would say he has considerable value, despite not being an "elite" point producer. If your league has separate forward position designations even more so.

Dobber Sports Master

Even in leagues that count PIM, I believe he is over rated in many of them. It might be something to take advantage of.

Dobber Sports Ninja

As always, the decision to trade him depends on factors like who the rest of your keepers are, positions, #teams in the league...etc.

As for Perry, yeah he's overrated. I'm pretty sure I was one of the ones to overrate him too. He is still a valuable player to have in certain leagues. Points only, he's really not the greatest. The benefits of Perry are:

- He's a RW.
    - He shoots the puck a decent amount (typically between 3 or 4 SOG per game in his career)
    - Provides solid numbers across the board - solid for roto leagues that count a lot of stats

If you look at his shooting #s he seems to be more of a 35-40 goal scorer as opposed to a 50 goal scorer...and with Getzlaf not scoring a whole lot of goals it keeps Perry's assist numbers relatively low too.

My two cents.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    If you look at his shooting #s he seems to be more of a 35-40 goal scorer as opposed to a 50 goal scorer...and with Getzlaf not scoring a whole lot of goals it keeps Perry's assist numbers relatively low too.
    Makes me think how the 3rd member of that line shakes out could have a decent influence on this totals.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thank you all for your feedback. Since PIM and SHOT are not considered in my league, I'll try to trade him for a good goalie.
    8 team league
    G, A, PTS, PPP, HIT, BLK, DEF
    W, GAA, SV%

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by sacdechips View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback. Since PIM and SHOT are not considered in my league, I'll try to trade him for a good goalie.
    In that case, Perry for Rinne / Lu makes sense, but not Perry for Fleury. But, as others have asked, what's the rest of your roster? What are the skater and Goalie stats?
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer