Thread: OV+ for my Perry/Kessel?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default OV+ for my Perry/Kessel?

This is a multi-cat 16 team H2H fantasy points league with daily starts (depth is key). My team has been competitive in the first two seasons but found early exists in the playoffs. Last year I added Crosby for Toews/Hedman/Miller which I thought was a steal. Now the OV owner has him on the block and we've discussed a possible deal (nothing in stone yet). I'd like to here the communities thoughts on how I should approach this...

My team (starters in brackets):

F - (Crosby, Perry, Kessel, Bergeron, Kesler, Stewart) Heatley, Brouwer, Ryder, Hornqvist

D - (Letang, Franson, Visnovsky, Wiznewski) Orlov, Whitney

G - (Ward), Halak

Prospects (<50 NHL games played) - Forsberg, Lazar, Pulkinnen, Stone (OTT), Ritchie, Koekkoek, Theodore, Allan, Khudobin, Svedberg.

Does offering up a 2-1 deal like prosposed in the subject line too much for OV? Does it hurt my chances to win now and long-term?
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wow...now that's a tough call.

Kessel is a PPG player and could reach 85pts and 40+goals this year.
    Perry's Scoring touch seems to have shifted slightly but he's a definite multi cat guy.

Having said that...you're getting an enigma who's capable of putting up 100+ points and 90+ PIMS as well as other lofty peripherals. Ovie is the BPA (based on the end of last season).

Kessel and Perry may be a steep asking price, but that's what it may take to land him. However...if you couple Crosby and Ovie together which opens up the opportunity for a young up and commer...it may just be what the Fantasy Gm ordered.

I'd be tempted on BOTH sides of that equation...ofcourse not knowin the other guys roster needs...I'm blindly judging whether it's a good move for the OGM.

I think you MAY see a dip in production this year but depending on who you replace the 2 for 1 with, that should level off in the next 2 to 3 years.

DAMN THAT"S CLOSE.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Ovi and Crosby could be a home run assuming they play good and not get injured. If Crosby gets injured or Ovi gets lazy, then the lack of depth will bite you in the ass. Either you'll miss playoffs or you'll be in the finals with that scenerio.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

With daily starts, I prefer Perry(ANA) & Kessel.
    Anaheim's off-night schedule helps avoid conflicts... so you can play a 3rd RW often.

I like Ovechkin... but not at this price tag.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Exactly! That's the dilemna. But damn would Crosby and OV on one team in a 16-team league be unreal!

Jus to give you an idea, last year, Kessel put up 305pts and Perry put up 265pts while OV put up 425pts in shortened season.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Anaheim's off-night schedule helps avoid conflicts... so you can play a 3rd RW often.

There are no positional requirements for forwards so wingers lose that "added" value because of scarcity. We also don't count FOW so that doesn't give C an advantage.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Ovi and Crosby could be a home run assuming they play good and not get injured. If Crosby gets injured or Ovi gets lazy, then the lack of depth will bite you in the ass. Either you'll miss playoffs or you'll be in the finals with that scenerio.
    Does the possibility of me owning both scare you a little Gain? haha.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kenzle1r View Post
    Does the possibility of me owning both scare you a little Gain? haha.
    I probably would not like you having Crosby and Ovechkin. Having Crosby is bad enough, having both in a 16 team league is borderline cheating. I don't understand how these guys keep bending over for you. You must be an excellent salesman.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Expert

If you can recover the hit this will give to your team's depth, then do it. If Crosby and Ovy are on a good week, you could probably win just with these two.

Pretty sure your format is similar to the WHA and it's really a tough call. It all depends on your abilities to gain back the depth your loosing with this deal. Knowing you, I say do it.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Ace

I think it's a fair trade for both sides. You could make an argument either way.

Dobber Sports Star

As an owner of both I can say it's both a blessing and a curse. When they're on you're unstoppable, but when they're not you won't have the depth to carry you during those stretches of injury etc. I'm in a keep 4 w/10 teams league so I don't feel the hit quite as bad.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Great point, Anaheim is always a great source of off night points.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

The Wolverine

This is a multi-cat 16 team H2H fantasy points league
    Jus to give you an idea, last year, Kessel put up 305pts and Perry put up 265pts while OV put up 425pts in shortened season.
    Whenever I see H2H fantasy points, I look for the category values. It's good that you provided those players' totals in a later post, but it might also be worth mentioning what categories are included and what value is assigned to each of them. This may not change others' responses, but it's something that I suggest you get into the habit of doing in case it's not straight forward. Especially as often you are not just looking at the players involved, but the potential fourth (2 for 2 really) and your team as a whole, especially in a deeper league when depth matters.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Here's what I offered him. Every player I would be acquiring he's actually listed as "on the block" so I would imagine this deal would appeal to him.

I give: Perry, Kessel, Stewart, Orlov, and Halak

I get: Ovechkin, R. Whitney (DAL), Lecavalier, Giordano, Anderson

Even though this deal increases my overall team age (substantially) I think it really helps my chances over the next 2-3 years...at which point I should have prospects coming into their own to take over Whitney/Lecac/Anderson (if his production slides).

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Here's what I offered him. Every player I would be acquiring he's actually listed as "on the block" so I would imagine this deal would appeal to him.

I give: Perry, Kessel, Stewart, Orlov, and Halak

I get: Ovechkin, R. Whitney (DAL), Lecavalier, Giordano, Anderson

Even though this deal increases my overall team age (substantially) I think it really helps my chances over the next 2-3 years...at which point I should have prospects coming into their own to take over Whitney/Lecac/Anderson (if his production slides).

Thoughts?

Ovechkin >> Perry
    Whitney <<< Kessel
    Lecavalier = Stewart
    Anderson >> Halak
    Orlov ~ Gordano

Pretty Close. I'm not a big fan of Whitney and Lecavalier both...one is old man river and the other gets injured like him. I do think Ovechkin is the best forward in the deal and Anderson is by far the best Goalie of the two. Some may say this sways slightly toward you but the more I look at it...taking on Whitney and Lecavalier kinda balances out the scales. Not sure if it will be enough for Ovie, but a heck of a try.