Thread: (Rep!): Nash, Seguin, 6th for Neal, Pietrangelo, 2nd

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default (Rep!): Nash, Seguin, 6th for Neal, Pietrangelo, 2nd

Team and league in signature.

The offer is I give up Nash Seguin and a 6th rounder for Neal, Piet, and a 2nd rounder.

To put it in perspective, I should be able to get someone like Bobby Ryan, or a top goalie (ie. redraft Niemi) with the 2nd rounder.

The 6th round would have players like (based on last year): Heatley, Kuba, Myers, Skinner, Boychuk

We will be upping our league to start 9 F and 6 D, rather than the current 6 F and 4 D. Also, blocked shots will be added. Would you make the move or is this still too far in my opponent's favour?

Dobber Sports Superstar

I like Neal over Nash, and Seguin vs Pietrangelo is pretty close. Combine that with the pick upgrade and I would probably take the deal.

It's close, but I take it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would do it. You add another great young defensemen to your team and Neal is super elite in these kinds of formats. It sucks that you are giving up Nash, but I think it's probably worth it. I would see if he would take Perry instead of Nash or even Parise instead of Nash. As is, I would still do it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Given the quality of the player upgrade on the draft pick, I would do this.

As the other guy said, if you can get him to take Parise instead of Nash, I'd try that first, but overall given your positional needs on D, I would take this deal.
    8 Team Auction league: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench, 5 farm. $1,000,000 salary cap, live auction annually, 3 year contracts, RFA after contract expiry. Player goes back into the draft, manager who keeps an RFA has the opportunity to match the highest bid. Keep 15 total PLUS farm team. Farm team counts towards your cap.
    Stats: G,A, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, GWG - W, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom $72, Bergeron $30, Malkin $160, TJ $5
    LW: Forsberg $5, Schwartz $5, Schenn $16, JVR $15
    RW: Wheeler $67
    D: Doughty $58, Weber $48, Vatenan $7
    G: Schneider $5 Dubnyck $5

Farm: Gibson $13, Drouin $19, S. Bennett $13, Hubs $23

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp913 View Post
    I would do it. You add another great young defensemen to your team and Neal is super elite in these kinds of formats. It sucks that you are giving up Nash, but I think it's probably worth it. I would see if he would take Perry instead of Nash or even Parise instead of Nash. As is, I would still do it.
    The alternative that I might be able to do, as we had talked about it previously, was:

Perry & Seguin for Neal & Pietrangelo

No picks involved.

Dobber Sports Pro

Yeah with SOG James "shoot-when-you-feel" Neal is a monster.
    And that 2nd round pick sounds quite valuable.
    Losing Seguin hurts a bit but since you'll be able to dress more D, having AP will be a nice keeper for you for years to come.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    The alternative that I might be able to do, as we had talked about it previously, was:

Perry & Seguin for Neal & Pietrangelo

No picks involved.
    I like that deal for you

Dobber Sports Expert

I prefer the original deal of Nash-Seguin-6th for Neal-Piet-2nd.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think my concern is trying to compare the value of a defenseman (Pietrangelo) to a forward (Seguin). I know Seguin's value, especially since being traded to boston, is high, so I'm nervous about not getting enough in return.

I remember someone posted a while back how to determine equivalency between forwards and d-men, but can't seem to find it now.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I think my concern is trying to compare the value of a defenseman (Pietrangelo) to a forward (Seguin). I know Seguin's value, especially since being traded to boston, is high, so I'm nervous about not getting enough in return.

I remember someone posted a while back how to determine equivalency between forwards and d-men, but can't seem to find it now.
    Basically you want to try and compare their relative value to the next best option available to you.

So, in your 8 team league, you will be keeping 9 forwards and 6 defense. This means that 72 (8x9) forwards are kept and 48 (6x8) defensement are kept. So you look at whatever projections you will be using (let's use dobbers for the sake of argument), and compare what Seguin provides to the 73rd best forward, and what Pietrangelo provides to the 49th best defensemen (we'll stick with points for now).

Seguin (74) vs a Kesler/Lucic/Sharp type at (57) so about +17 points

Pietrangelo (50) vs a Bogosian/Barrie/Diaz type at (34) so about +16 points

Based on that, the relative benefits are pretty close. The next thing you can decide is:
    1) whether Seguin has a better chance to top 74 then Pietrangelo has to top 50 (I think Seguin has a better chance to exceed 74).
    2) is it easier to find a 57 point forward or a 34 point defensement? I have a feeling it will be easier to come across a 34 point defensement than a 57 point forward.

For me, the edge goes slightly to Seguin, but it's close enough that it's a bit of a coin flip based on this analysis. Of course, if there are additional stats in play you have to consider that in your analysis. If you want some additional explanations, take a look at some posts by Pengwin7. He has far more experience discussing this logic than I do.

Dobber Sports Giant

Pull the trigger on that deal! IMO, you get a free player because Neal and AP vs Nash and Seguin is very close. The 2nd rounder (with the potential to have quality players left over) is the kicker here.

Go for it!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay