Thread: Vancouver D under Torts

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Vancouver D under Torts

I had high hopes with a coaching change in VAN. But when it was Torts that got the job my fantasy hockey heart sank a little bit. Production from the forwards do worry me too much. But I'm wondering if the D will be reined in a bit more and who knows what will happen to the PP. In a pts only league I have Garrison and Bieksa and I'm wondering if should make efforts to dump them because 40pts seems so far away for either of these 2 guys.

Administrator

Garrison has never been close to 40 points and will probably never come close. Bieksa on the other hand... too injury prone.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I know Torts' says he has plans for the team, but I really don't feel the fantasy value of any of the players changes significantly. I wouldn't change my feelings on VAN players in any regard... personally.

Banned

I wouldn't want to own either Garisson or Bieksa anyway so all the more reason to see if you can get a better option thru a trade

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dont give up on Garrison. He's MADE for a torts style team. He'll anchor the point on the pp with that big blast and be solid at even strength. He'll maintain a 10-15 and 30-35 point average for a few more years.

Bail on Bieksa. He's a fragile player from an injury perspective moving to a coach who proscribes to a theory around dmen sacrificing their bodies on the play. Its a recipe for him to get hurt repeatedly.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sorry to be clear. Not 40 for Garrison. He's never done it. But close. And no decline.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If Garrison doesn't score 15 goals this season, I'll eat some serious crow at this time next year. He is going to be given the green light to bomb away on the PP (for whatever reason, the previous regime didn't give him much PP time even though he has one of the best one-timers in hockey).

I think Hamhuis and Bieksa will see a slight decline under Tortorella, while Edler should be around the same (last year was a struggle - I'd use his previous few years as a comparison point).
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    If Garrison doesn't score 15 goals this season, I'll eat some serious crow at this time next year. He is going to be given the green light to bomb away on the PP (for whatever reason, the previous regime didn't give him much PP time even though he has one of the best one-timers in hockey).

I think Hamhuis and Bieksa will see a slight decline under Tortorella, while Edler should be around the same (last year was a struggle - I'd use his previous few years as a comparison point).
    Hamhuis will decline under Torts??? He's their best d-man!
    You must mean just with PP minutes right?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Hamhuis will decline under Torts??? He's their best d-man!
    You must mean just with PP minutes right?
    Specific term I forgot: offensively. Hamhuis is a stud d-man, but I don't see his production going anywhere but down. He's going to be leaned on heavily in a shutdown role (as he should).
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by leaftodd View Post
    Bail on Bieksa. He's a fragile player from an injury perspective moving to a coach who proscribes to a theory around dmen sacrificing their bodies on the play. Its a recipe for him to get hurt repeatedly.
    This was what was at the back of my mind. Torts demands a high level personal/body sacrifice particularily from the D. If they don't get outright injuried it will certainly wear them down quicker.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think Garrison will be the better of the two to own fantasy wise but I would not put much faith in either this year with Torts at the helm. For most of the reasons already stated.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 13 players and 1 Goalie , +4 Young Keepers (players with less than 165 NHL games played -last season). Points for G (2), A (2), Hit (.2) SHP(1), Blocks (.2), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - E.Malkin, R.Getzlaf, J.Pageau, J.Toews, P.Danault, J.Marchessault

LW - B.Marchand, C.Keller, J.Guentzel, K.Connor,N.Gusev, J.Zucker, T.Toffoli, D.Kubalik

RW - A.DeBrincat,, V.Tarasenko, M.Hoffman, V.Olofsson, K.Yamamoto, R.Strome

D - T.DeAngello, T.Krug, Q.Hughes,E.Gustafsson, M.Borowiecki, J.Muzzin, S.Theodore, J.Klingberg, O.Klefbom

G - S.Bobrovski, F.Andersen, B.Bishop, I.Shesterkin