Thread: Puck Daddy on Ottawa's cap circumvention

Banned

Default Puck Daddy on Ottawa's cap circumvention

All the news I've read the last 2 days has been on the Sens (cept for Giroux's injury).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...155050275.html

he's spot on with this article on multiple levels, it's really a shame the league never has the balls to stand up for anything, even their own rules. At the same time I think it's hilarious that both Murray and Alfie were so forthcoming about it...usually you still try to keep that sorta thing on the DL y'know?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I live in Ottawa with my GF. I'm originally from Montreal, so we have a friendly hockey feud.
    I was trying to explain to her today how the Senators cheated, her response was Karlsson wouldn't let that happen on his team lol.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Stud

I guess, but it seems closer to attempted circumvention since he actually ended up playing that last season.

The Great One

the fact Alfie actually played the final season of that contract and earned the miniscual $1 million salary is the exact reason why the league couldn't always reject those front-loaded deals. Sure, they were signed with the full intention by both parties that the player would likely not play the final year(s) of the contract and retire before the contract officially ends, but if a player like Alfie actually plays out the contract, then the contract is totally legit. The league cannot truthfully say which players are going to retire early and which players are going to finish the contracts they signed.

As an aside, Alfie may have been upset about only earning $1 million in the last year, but he shouldn't have signed a contract like that.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hey, if they can deny goals based on "intent to blow the whistle", they can fine teams based on "intent to retire before a deal is over" even if the player actually plays through the entire contract...
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

Isn't Wysh a huge Devils fan? He might be a bit bitter the Devils lost a first round pick and no one else has.

I'm not saying he's not right, but that's all that's in my head as I read the article.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    the fact Alfie actually played the final season of that contract and earned the miniscual $1 million salary is the exact reason why the league couldn't always reject those front-loaded deals. Sure, they were signed with the full intention by both parties that the player would likely not play the final year(s) of the contract and retire before the contract officially ends, but if a player like Alfie actually plays out the contract, then the contract is totally legit. The league cannot truthfully say which players are going to retire early and which players are going to finish the contracts they signed.

As an aside, Alfie may have been upset about only earning $1 million in the last year, but he shouldn't have signed a contract like that.
    you make a good point but it's still ****ed up...anyway you slice it it's still two parties hopping into bed together with the explicit aim at gearing the system. If the league had simply admitted that they ****ed up in the first place and allowed these kinda loopholes then fine, you gotta live with the rules you negotiate, you can't punish people for being shrewd and working within the system. But if you come out saying that you're gonna crack down on this kinda thing, then crack down on some people hard (i.e. NJ) and ignore it from others even when they admit it openly then what kinda integrity is that? It's either good for everyone or it's good for no one, yo can't have a different set of rules for one team over the other, that's ****ing horseshit