Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Toews on Sochi

Dobber Sports Sage

And just for the record, I do think Toews's leadership is a little overrated. I've often wondered just how effective some 23-year old is when yapping at a veteran 10 years older than him. Looking at the Hawks, they have some great veteran leaders. Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook, and to a lesser degree Keith are all great leaders. And they've also had Mayers, Roszival, and Handzus as good veterans in the room. Bottom line is that Toews has had it relatively easy as a captain. Credit the Hawks brass for eyeing not only good players but good leaders as well.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    And just for the record, I do think Toews's leadership is a little overrated. I've often wondered just how effective some 23-year old is when yapping at a veteran 10 years older than him. Looking at the Hawks, they have some great veteran leaders. Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook, and to a lesser degree Keith are all great leaders. And they've also had Mayers, Roszival, and Handzus as good veterans in the room. Bottom line is that Toews has had it relatively easy as a captain. Credit the Hawks brass for eyeing not only good players but good leaders as well.
    Agree, but I highly doubt that Toews does any "yapping". Rather, he leads first and foremost by example on the ice, as all great Captains do, and he's probably a quiet leader off the ice, speaking only when necessary and when it's necessary to get a guy in line he is most likely the kind of guy who will take the player aside and provide positive encouragement and constructive criticism. As Shakedown said none of us know for sure but it seems from his persona that this is the way he'd operate, and the fact that his Hawks' teammates praise him often and loudly speaks to his effect being very positive.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

And in terms of Toews v Crosby, I see the difference as being one of ego. Crosby is certainly a mature player and puts his team first, but there are also hints at an ego (from people who knew him in Cole Harbor, etc.). I've never heard that about Toews. To me that can have an impact on how respected you are as a Captain. For sure the Pens players respect Crosby given his innate ability coupled with his intense desire to win, and they get behind him, but if there's ego there it detracts from that, however slightly.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Also, for the record, I have very little doubt that Toews will be a damn good captain at 30. That's why I really don't like guys being tabbed as captain at 20-25 years old. A captain should have many years of experience AND be the hardest worker and the guy who sets the example for the rest of the guys on the team. If I had been old enough back when Yzerman became captain, I would probably have wanted someone older and more experienced.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    Maybe Toews has had it easy because he's been a big part of making it look easy. His teams are winners and he leads the way. Meanwhile 29 other teams would do almost anything to have him as their captain.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Maybe Toews has had it easy because he's been a big part of making it look easy. His teams are winners and he leads the way. Meanwhile 29 other teams would do almost anything to have him as their captain.
    Don't you ever get tired of trying your hardest to just push buttons? You know damn well the bolded is not the case, so why even go there?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Don't you ever get tired of trying your hardest to just push buttons? You know damn well the bolded is not the case, so why even go there?
    Did I just receive a lecture from you about pushing buttons? Really? From you? About buttons? Honestly? REALLY?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.

Dobber Sports Icon

Did I just receive a lecture from you about pushing buttons? Really? From you? About buttons? Honestly? REALLY?!?!

Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Agree, but I highly doubt that Toews does any "yapping". Rather, he leads first and foremost by example on the ice, as all great Captains do, and he's probably a quiet leader off the ice, speaking only when necessary and when it's necessary to get a guy in line he is most likely the kind of guy who will take the player aside and provide positive encouragement and constructive criticism. As Shakedown said none of us know for sure but it seems from his persona that this is the way he'd operate, and the fact that his Hawks' teammates praise him often and loudly speaks to his effect being very positive.
    I realize my post doesn't read like it but I wasn't specifically pointing at Toews. I just meant young captains in general. It is the rarest of players that can be an effective captain when in their early 20s. And even if someone in their early 20s has the character, their message will be often ignored from a veteran 10 years their senior.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wow, you've really lost it. No self insight whatsoever. So sad.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wow, you've really lost it. No self insight whatsoever. So sad.
    You've essentially done nothing but troll this entire thread, revelling in congratulations from Big_Ev over the fact that you've done so.

Wait. That's what you're doing here again. Well played!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

You've essentially done nothing but troll this entire thread, revelling in congratulations from Big_Ev over the fact that you've done so.

Wait. That's what you're doing here again. Well played!
    I was talking about over time. You've shown time and time again that you will target certain users over different periods of time and post contrarian things to them just to be a dick. It's obvious you are targeting particular users. I don't troll people, except maybe tequilamonster and earlier you and mcgoo at times when I thought you two were being huge dicks. I post contrarian things about subjects because of the subjects themselves. Big difference. I legitimately think that Toews is not such a fantastic captain that a lot of people think. Me voicing that opinion is not trolling, you idiot.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was talking about over time. You've shown time and time again that you will target certain users over different periods of time and post contrarian things to them just to be a dick. It's obvious you are targeting particular users. I don't troll people, except maybe tequilamonster and earlier you and mcgoo at times when I thought you two were being huge dicks. I post contrarian things about subjects because of the subjects themselves. Big difference. I legitimately think that Toews is not such a fantastic captain that a lot of people think. Me voicing that opinion is not trolling, you idiot.
    Meaningful text...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Meaningful text...

Sigh. You truly are just an idiot. Sad.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sigh. You truly are just an idiot. Sad.
    Hug it out?