Thread: Your Projected 1st Round

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Your Projected 1st Round

Looking to know who everyone has projected to make up their first 12 picks. For my league in signature my projections look like this:

1. Crosby. We know he’s the best player in the world and that he’s hurt a lot. He is healthy and it’s hard to blame the puck to the face on band aid boy status.
    2. Stamkos. The opposite of Crosby in the top 4 he’s the most consistent but the lowest upside. Also he’s the youngest and getting better year in and year out.
    3. Ovechkin. Yes his second half was amazing last year but that was only 20 games or so, he’s been terrible for the previous 2 seasons. I think with Oates he’s back to top 3.
    4. Malkin. A full year removed from an Art Ross and he’s 4th overall. Had a down year and has some injury risks and I like the other 3 guys more.

GAP- I think the top 4 are all neck in neck, they’re all amazing talents who have won Art Ross and/or Rocket Trophies and I think you’re great in your league if you get any of them.

5. Giroux. Great season last year we know he’s a stud but he’s not in the top 4 category.
    6. Tavares. A little high? He’s a stud has good chemistry with Moulson and puts up G, A and PPP I think he takes a huge step this year.
    7. P. Kane. Took the step this year and again puts up the G, A and PPP plus his +/- is great on the Hawks
    8. Kessel. Started to click big time in Toronto last season. Again I like the G, A, PPP no peripherals at all.
    9. Toews. Probably a top 5 player in the NHL but his fantasy value is lower.
    10. St. Louis. The reigning Art Ross winner is 10th. He’s getting older and a full season might slow him down, also he picks up A and PPP but few goals or peripherals.
    11. E. Staal. I was stunned to see he finished 6th in points last season. Fewer goals but solid peripherals get him in the first round.
    12. Hall. Had a big season last year and is looking to be solid for a full season, also solid peripherals all-round.

What's your projected 1st round??
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Round 1
    1.Crosby
    2.Malkin
    3.Stamkos
    4.Ovechkin
    5.Lundqvist
    6.Quick
    7.Rask
    8.Giroux
    9.Tavares
    10.Getzlaf
    11.P.Kane
    12.Toews

Round 2
    13.Erik Karlsson
    14.Eric Staal
    15.Pekka Rinne
    16.Nicklas Backstrom
    17.Bobby Ryan
    18.Corey Perry
    19.Anze Kopitar
    20.Phil Kessel
    21.Martin St Louis
    22.Zach Parise
    23.Taylor Hall
    24.Jamie Benn
    Last edited by zetters; August 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Crosby
    Stamkos
    Malkin
    Tavares
    Ovechkin
    Hall
    Giroux
    Lundqvist
    Kessel
    Toews
    Kane
    Karlsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great list Lawman!!!

In one-year leagues, I think the top four are definitely a group.
    1. Crosby

2/3/4. Stamkos/Malkin/Ovechkin. These guys are interchangeable based on league categories. I'd definitely want LW/RW Ovechkin in a positional league over the others and definitely Ovechkin in a HITS league. I'd probably take Stamkos in a full-season league (like ROTO) and I'd probably take Malkin in a daily H2H league hoping he's healthy for the 3-weeks of H2H playoffs. So, different conditions for the 2nd overall.

5. Tavares, C.
    6. Giroux, C.
    [These guys have been close in the past and are still close, but I think Tavares is more of a lock to put up stats]

7. Pat Kane, RW. Agreed. I've been pumping him as the 7th best skater after the top six and I don't think that's changed.

8. James Neal, RW (or LW/RW?). On pure talent alone, he doesn't deserve to be on this list. But his statistical output as a Pittsburgh winger is undeniable, especially in multi-cat.

9. Taylor Hall, LW. He made a jump in the short season. With LW being thin (likely), I might reach for him here. +/- should improve as the team gets better too.

10. Erik Karlsson, D. It's been since the Mike Green prime that anybody has been so bold as to reach for a defenseman here, but EK is just so good that I would really consider it.

11. Rick Nash, RW (or LW/RW). No, not joking. Nash has always been a fantastic player and we joke about him not putting up his point-per-game. But he had 42pts in 48games on a NYR team that didn't even have a fully functional Brad Richards. His +/- will be great again, SOG are always high and he's a sniper. If he has LW/RW eligibility, I'm definitely taking him first round. Nobody remembers him as having an EXCEPTIONAL season, but he still finished as the 15th best player in fantasy hockey. For anybody that watched Rangers games, he was their best player in a lot of games where he didn't even score.

12. Jon Toews, C. He's the first non-sexy player worth taking. Consistent across the board and +/- is a nice thing to have, even though we don't focus on it.

13. PK Subban(D)/Phil Kessel/Bobby Ryan/MSL/Zetterberg (if LW). I include this pick because in most 12-team leagues, the 12/13 go together. If you take a center, take a wing as well. Depending on categories, one could also consider PK Subban. PK Subban was the 4th best fantasy player last year behind Ovechkin/Kunitz/Crosby. And THAT was in standard 6-categories NOT even including HITS - another great PK cat! I think the gap between Karlsson/Subban to others is very big and very significant. I'd also consider a winger here to go with Toews.

Not included: Goalies.
    Understanding goalies is a completely separate beast of a calculation.
    In ROTO, I might be taking Lundqvist or Rask first round for the contribution they'll give me as "full season GAA" and "full season SV%" go. In standard H2H weekly match-up leagues, I'm probably not touching a goalie until round 4. Goalie stats can fluctuate week-to-week and I'm not wasting a first three round pick on somebody who could have ONE off game and kill my chances to win two categories (GAA & SV%).
    Last edited by Pengwin7; August 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM.

Dobber Sports Genius

My 1st round would like:
    1. Stamkos
    2. Crosby
    3. Ovechkin
    4. Malkin
    5. Tavares
    6. Rask
    7. Giroux
    8. Lundqvist
    9. Quick
    10. Neal
    11. Hall
    12. P. Kane
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    My 1st round would like:
    1. Stamkos
    2. Crosby
    3. Ovechkin
    4. Malkin
    5. Tavares
    6. Rask
    7. Giroux
    8. Lundqvist
    9. Quick
    10. Neal
    11. Hall
    12. P. Kane
    I like this list - might bump Neal down behind Hall and Kane. I would put Crosby first as the potenital is too good for me to pass up. I could also see a case for Rinne, St. Louis and Karlsson bumping Neal/Hall/Kane down one or two slots. Overall I see all of these guys going in the top 15.

Dobber Sports Genius

With your cats, didn't include any goalies:

1. Crosby
    2. Ovechkin
    3. Stamkos
    4. Malkin
    5. Tavares
    6. Giroux
    7. Neal
    8. Hall
    9. Perry
    10. Karlsson
    11. Getzlaf
    12. P Kane
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Ace

Crosby
    Malkin
    Stamkos
    Ovechkin
    Giroux
    Rask
    Tavares
    Lundqvist
    Kane
    Quick
    Toews
    Kessel
    St. Louis
    Hall
    Karlsson
    Neal
    Perry
    Getzlaf
    Subban
    Backstrom
    H.Sedin
    Datsyuk
    Luongo
    Niemi
    Zetterberg
    Letang
    D. Sedin
    Nash
    Rinne
    Spezza
    Eberle
    Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Kesler(IR), RNH
    Wheeler, Franzen, Gagner
    Parise, Benn, Tanguay, Cammalleri
    Pieterangelo, Enstrom(IR),
    Howard, Hiller, Kipper(IR)

12 team H2H, positional requirements, G, A, PPP, PIM, Plus/Minus, GWG, SO, Wins, GAA and Save%.
    1 Year League

Dobber Sports Apprentice

1. Crosby
    2. Stamkos
    3. Malkin
    4. Ovechkin
    5. Lundqvist
    6. Rask
    7. Tavares
    8. Giroux
    9. Karlsson
    10. Quick
    11. Kane
    10. Neal
    11. Getzlaf
    12. Perry

Really depends on when the goalie run starts... I've seen drafts where the top 4 go, and then 6-7 of the next 8 are goalies and Karlsson / Tavares.
    8 Team Auction league: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench, 5 farm. $1,000,000 salary cap, live auction annually, 3 year contracts, RFA after contract expiry. Player goes back into the draft, manager who keeps an RFA has the opportunity to match the highest bid. Keep 15 total PLUS farm team. Farm team counts towards your cap.
    Stats: G,A, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, GWG - W, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom $72, Bergeron $30, Malkin $160, TJ $5
    LW: Forsberg $5, Schwartz $5, Schenn $16, JVR $15
    RW: Wheeler $67
    D: Doughty $58, Weber $48, Vatenan $7
    G: Schneider $5 Dubnyck $5

Farm: Gibson $13, Drouin $19, S. Bennett $13, Hubs $23