Thread: Decisions...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Decisions...

So I don't think I have a shot at contending this year, having lost Kovalchuk to the KHL (see updated roster in signature), so I figured I'd look to sacrifice some depth guys to stock up on high upside draft picks. I'm considering dropping a player so that I can draft in the 3rd round. I'm expecting that Vey and Lindholm will both be available. Would you consider dropping any of the guys at the bottom of my roster for one/both of those guys?
    The League:
    11-teams, pts-only, no positional restrictions, top 12/20 count.
    1 in-season UFA (24+y/o), 3 round entry draft.
    Unlimited (24+y/o) off-season UFAs after the entry draft.

The Show:
    Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Eberle, Couture, Krejci, Subban, Simmonds, Hedman, Jokinen, Kesler, Barrie, Johansson

The Farm:
    MacKinnon, Toffoli, Bjugstad, Spooner, Zucker, Bjorkstrand, Jaskin

Dobber Sports Initiate

Your team looks competitive to me assuming Crosby and Malkin are healthy this year but I will trust your assessment that it isnt.

Your depth is weak and should be addressed either way. I like your proposed plan to trade end or roster players for youth
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Initiate

As far as who to drop I'd drop Bozak or Steen for Lindholm.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

The Great One

If you can't compete this year, I might look to trade (or drop) Alfredsson. I don't see the point having him on your roster if you intend to retool.

I think Bozak will be way more valuable than Alfreddson in a year (or two at the most).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by number54 View Post
    So I don't think I have a shot at contending this year, having lost Kovalchuk to the KHL (see updated roster in signature), so I figured I'd look to sacrifice some depth guys to stock up on high upside draft picks. I'm considering dropping a player so that I can draft in the 3rd round. I'm expecting that Vey and Lindholm will both be available. Would you consider dropping any of the guys at the bottom of my roster for one/both of those guys?

Pts only...

Vey may end up being a player in LAK. However, I'd feel more comfortable with Lindholm. I'd probably cut ties with Steen. St.L is getting crowded. Jaskin and Rattie are going to push. Young Schewrtz should be solid. Oshie, Stewart... and the list goes on.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Veteran

If you are rebuilding then trade or drop all of the following

M. Richards, J. Carter, Kesler, Hartnell, Ennis, Backes, Alfredsson, Steen, Bozak

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Thanks for the Input!

I'm amazed nobody mentioned Doughty as a potential drop. IMO he doesn't have a prayer of topping 50 points within the next 3 years with the tough minutes he's eating in LA. Anybody think it'd be a mistake to sell him for a bag of pucks to free up a roster spot?

@Davidgoodburn -- To give you some perspective, last year I finished 4th due to injuries, even when I still had Kovalchuk. I don't want to drop Bozak; he's a 1st line C just entering his prime. He's a power forward, too. They tend to be long-term projects, and I think he's on the verge.

@alsrevenge -- I'd rather hold Alffie now that he's a Wing. I personally think it's a massive upgrade in linemates, now that his center will most likely remain healthy. I suspect his numbers would have been much better in 2012-13 had he played with a healthy Spezza.

@Mattp913 -- I've been trying to move Richards & Carter, but best offer was a low 1st rounder & Etem, which I think is a drastic under-pay. I also don't see the sense in selling low on Hartnell, Kesler, or Ennis; their value has nowhere to go but up. Besides, I'll get better value for those guys if they put up some points during the season.

@One87 -- I'm leaning towards dropping Steen & Doughty. It's sad, though, because Steen is one talented mofo; just a victim of the linemate bug.
    Last edited by number54; August 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM.
    The League:

The Show:
    Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Eberle, Couture, Krejci, Subban, Simmonds, Hedman, Jokinen, Kesler, Barrie, Johansson

The Farm:

The Great One

@alsrevenge -- I'd rather hold Alffie now that he's a Wing. I personally think it's a massive upgrade in linemates, now that his center will most likely remain healthy. I suspect his numbers would have been much better in 2012-13 had he played with a healthy Spezza.
    My advice was taking into account the OP's statement that he cannot compete this year. I just don't see much value in Alfie beyond this year. Hence, I'd still recommend trading him for something that could be more useful when the OP is in a position to compete.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default I am the OP...

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    My advice was taking into account the OP's statement that he cannot compete this year. I just don't see much value in Alfie beyond this year. Hence, I'd still recommend trading him for something that could be more useful when the OP is in a position to compete.
    IMO, Alffie will fetch more if I trade his points to a contender during the season than if i trade him now, before my league's entry draft. Right now, the guys I can trade at decent value are Richards & Carter. However, unless someone takes a 2 for 1 deal, that still doesn't solve my problem. The point of making a deal or dropping a player at present is to open up a roster spot.
    The League:

The Show:

The Farm:

The Great One

IMO, Alffie will fetch more if I trade his points to a contender during the season than if i trade him now, before my league's entry draft. Right now, the guys I can trade at decent value are Richards & Carter. However, unless someone takes a 2 for 1 deal, that still doesn't solve my problem. The point of making a deal or dropping a player at present is to open up a roster spot.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. To be honest, it's not easy to give advice based on your signature. It says you have two open spots, and doesn't say anything about how many keepers there are in your league.

Also, your roster doesn't look that bad. In a 10 team league, where do you anticipate finishing with your current line up?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default I can keep 'em all if I choose.

@ als_revenge -- In our format you're allowed to keep all 20, though only your top-12 count for points. In order to draft, you either need to have an open roster spot, or drop a player. Each GM also gets one yearly UFA (24y/o+) anytime before trade deadline. I don't expect to finish any higher than 4th (it's nearly impossible with my roster). Teams ahead of me:

1) P. Kane, E. Staal, Getzlaf, Neal, Semin, Ribeiro, Wheeler, Kunitz, M. Koivu, Elias, Oshie...
    2) Stamkos, H. Sedin, Datsyuk, Toews, St. Louis, Stepan, Moulson, Krejci, Franzen, Parenteau, Jagr...
    3) Backstrom, Tavares, Eberle, Kopitar, Zetterberg, Nash, Whitney, Roy, Pominville, Berglund, Purcell...
    The League:

The Show:

The Farm: