Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Atom Hockey

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Atom Hockey

My neph is going into his first year atom this september and he will be trying out for the rep team in his first year. He is currently 4''9 100 lbs. Right now is still 8 yrs old going to be 9 soon. Is that big for a kid his age? Its just when I was buying him some Vapor X70's the guy asked him if he is going into peewees lol

Depending if he makes the Atom Rep team or gets cut and goes to Atom House, Is there that big of a skill jump between Novice and Atom?

(2nd year novice stats) In his first year novice he had one goal thats it.

2012-13 Season (5 on 5)
    GP: 17
    G: 15
    A: 7
    PTS: 22

Summer League 3 on 3
    GP: 9
    G: 26
    A: 21
    PTS: 47
    Last edited by StuntMan12; August 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

The Great One

Based on a random google search, the typical 9 year old boy is 4"1' and a shade over 60 lbs. Your nephew is the height and weight of a typical 13 year old, or so.

Dobber Sports Ace

Your nephew is a monster. My kid is almost 10 and is about 5'0, 85lbs and he was the biggest kid on his team last year.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    Your nephew is a monster. My kid is almost 10 and is about 5'0, 85lbs and he was the biggest kid on his team last year.
    My neph was the 2nd tallest kid on the team last year. The tallest boy was the best player but I thought my neph had the faster and smoother skating. We been putting him in power skating and in power skating he is faster than the other novice/atom players. Overall I would say he was 2nd or 3rd best player in the league. Skating wise I thought he was the best but there was this other kid that had a better shot but was slower, scored probably a hat trick a game.

There is some personal 1 on 1 training with a former pro hockey player that is about 50 bucks a sesson of 30 minutes I was thinking of putting him in. He just keeps telling me that he really wants to make the rep team so bad and wants to get better. I just love that he loves the game and keeps wanting to play all the time.
    Last edited by StuntMan12; August 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

It's never too early to add him to your fantasy roster.. Wow, great stats!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    It's never too early to add him to your fantasy roster.. Wow, great stats!!
    lol I hope one day that will happen. I was never able to play hockey as a kid because I had such bad athsma. Makes me so happy watching him play. If he makes the rep team then I'm thinking he will get something like GP 25 G 15 A 16 PTS 32. When the season starts he will still be 8 yrs old for a little bit.
    Last edited by StuntMan12; August 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

having coached at both levels, the skill diffrenece btwn Novice and Atom is significant for sure, the kids are stronger and can skate, handle the puck and shoot better. i have had "big" kids as well on my teams and the did excel in the younger years but really saw a leveling out in atom as the others caught up.

the novice stats you posted are good, but depending on how your local leauge evaluates Atom aged kids, dont be surprised if his totals dont translate into Atom. Novice teams can be filled with first time skaters and kids just out to have fun (as hockey should be) and not necissarily to pile up points.

the 3 on 3 stats are goos as well, but we all know from playing pond hockey the end to end rushes are very easy, and Novice gaolies arent exactly "mobile"

dont get me wrong here, i didnt post here to crush dreams, just keep your hopes in check. i hope your nephew has a great season and has fun playing the game we all love.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    having coached at both levels, the skill diffrenece btwn Novice and Atom is significant for sure, the kids are stronger and can skate, handle the puck and shoot better. i have had "big" kids as well on my teams and the did excel in the younger years but really saw a leveling out in atom as the others caught up.

the novice stats you posted are good, but depending on how your local leauge evaluates Atom aged kids, dont be surprised if his totals dont translate into Atom. Novice teams can be filled with first time skaters and kids just out to have fun (as hockey should be) and not necissarily to pile up points.

the 3 on 3 stats are goos as well, but we all know from playing pond hockey the end to end rushes are very easy, and Novice gaolies arent exactly "mobile"

dont get me wrong here, i didnt post here to crush dreams, just keep your hopes in check. i hope your nephew has a great season and has fun playing the game we all love.

No I understand. There were more goals scored in 3 on 3 in general. But a lot of the time he took games off because he was disinterested in the game due to what he says was "too easy".

In minor hockey he was probably #2 or #3 best player out of the whole Novice league. The best player was a son of a former junior hockey player and that kid would score a hat trick a game and had the best shot in the league but his skating was kind of slow. Great great player nonetheless and think that kid will go a long ways in his hockey. My neph skating is fast and smooth. He just has to get better on his puck control and learn to not follow the play which he tends to do a lot which I would think going to this new hockey school and atom league will help iron that out.

I will be paying for him to get private lessons with a local former pro hockey player which is kind of expensive but I can handle. I hope the best and that he plays junior one day. I know most players don't make it but nonetheless I am just more than happy watching him do something I could never do. As long as he has fun with the game
    Last edited by StuntMan12; August 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM.

Dobber Sports Monster

He played his first game against PeeWee/Atoms. His team got beat 18-3. His team only had atom players and the other team had 3 peewees and a couple atoms. He got 1 assist in his debut and 1 break away and almost scored. I think my heart skipped a beat when he got the break away lol.

He said it was an exciting experience and would rather play those kids than the other novice. In the novice 3 on 3 one game he tallied 13 pts. Kid only 8 yrs old and the other team was mostly 10-12 yr olds. Making some good passes and I think he quickly realizing it's not like novice where you can go in and do it yourself all the time. Playing a more team game. Not that he hogs the puck in novice though

Funnest game I've ever watched of him. He was happy
    Last edited by StuntMan12; August 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'll trade you Tavares for your nephew and 3rd round pick.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    I'll trade you Tavares for your nephew and 3rd round pick.
    I would do this in a league (if it were possible) just because he is my neph lol

He is wearing Vapor X 70 and his feet hurt after the game. Was thinking maybe it is because the Vapor X 70 has a harder boot? They were molded to his feet when we bought them too.

Dobber Sports Stud

i know a guy who broke gretzkys novice pts record. Toronto Star did an article on him back in the day.

played jr B in Ontario ** now tier 2 Jr A in Ontario

wasnt drafted to major Jr. Got cut from a walk on tryout on with the Windsor Spitfires

drives a cab now

We get it. Your Nephews good. Means nothing at that age. Kids that put up meaningless #'s in Novice are a dime o 200 dozen in Ontario alone. Nevermind the rest of the country/world. just saying.

Temper your expectations because truth be told theres an 8 yr old kid out there who cant even skate right now that WILL play in the NHL. just enjoy watching your nephew and stop keeping track of 'stats'.

TM

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by tequilamonster View Post
    i know a guy who broke gretzkys novice pts record. Toronto Star did an article on him back in the day.

played jr B in Ontario ** now tier 2 Jr A in Ontario

wasnt drafted to major Jr. Got cut from a walk on tryout on with the Windsor Spitfires

drives a cab now

We get it. Your Nephews good. Means nothing at that age. Kids that put up meaningless #'s in Novice are a dime o 200 dozen in Ontario alone. Nevermind the rest of the country/world. just saying.

Temper your expectations because truth be told theres an 8 yr old kid out there who cant even skate right now that WILL play in the NHL. just enjoy watching your nephew and stop keeping track of 'stats'.

TM
    What's wrong with my expectations? All I said is I wish one day that he plays junior but if he doesn't i'm still very proud of him either way. I just love seeing him happy out there and brings joy to me watching him because I could never play hockey as a youngster because I had very bad athsma. He's my nephew and I just love watching him play. Is there something wrong with that?

I'm not coming in here and saying "YES FOR SURE HE WILL PLAY JUNIOR #1 OVERALL NHL ONE DAY". No. I just started asking how big of a jump in skill is novice to atom and what to expect because he is very good in novice and how will that translate in atoms and posted the stats to give a rough idea how good he is doing. I know there are better novice players out there and have seen them play. Is my neph good right now? Yes. Is he trying hard everyday to get better? Yes. Is he having fun with it? Yes, which is the most important part imo and to me it doesn't matter if he comes out as a good beer league player or the next sidney crosby. He could give up the game of hockey tommorow and want to be a soccer player and I would be ok with it. His happiness with the game is #1 for me

As for keeping track of "stats" the leagues do it already and post it. I just keep track of it for fun because my neph has fun with it and said he likes to look at it. We already told him the stats dont matter and that its all about having fun but its something he requested. He's not a mean kid either or carries on an attitude about his hockey.
    Last edited by StuntMan12; August 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan712 View Post
    He played his first game against PeeWee/Atoms. His team got beat 18-3. His team only had atom players and the other team had 3 peewees and a couple atoms. He got 1 assist in his debut and 1 break away and almost scored. I think my heart skipped a beat when he got the break away lol.

He said it was an exciting experience and would rather play those kids than the other novice. In the novice 3 on 3 one game he tallied 13 pts. Kid only 8 yrs old and the other team was mostly 10-12 yr olds. Making some good passes and I think he quickly realizing it's not like novice where you can go in and do it yourself all the time. Playing a more team game. Not that he hogs the puck in novice though

Funnest game I've ever watched of him. He was happy
    good to hear hes having fun at it..thats the goal. i know how you feel when one of yours goes on a breakaway..its pretty intense.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan712 View Post
    What's wrong with my expectations? All I said is I wish one day that he plays junior but if he doesn't i'm still very proud of him either way. I just love seeing him happy out there and brings joy to me watching him because I could never play hockey as a youngster because I had very bad athsma. He's my nephew and I just love watching him play. Is there something wrong with that?

I'm not coming in here and saying "YES FOR SURE HE WILL PLAY JUNIOR #1 OVERALL NHL ONE DAY". No. I just started asking how big of a jump in skill is novice to atom and what to expect because he is very good in novice and how will that translate in atoms and posted the stats to give a rough idea how good he is doing. I know there are better novice players out there and have seen them play. Is my neph good right now? Yes. Is he trying hard everyday to get better? Yes. Is he having fun with it? Yes, which is the most important part imo and to me it doesn't matter if he comes out as a good beer league player or the next sidney crosby. He could give up the game of hockey tommorow and want to be a soccer player and I would be ok with it. His happiness with the game is #1 for me

As for keeping track of "stats" the leagues do it already and post it. I just keep track of it for fun because my neph has fun with it and said he likes to look at it. We already told him the stats dont matter and that its all about having fun but its something he requested. He's not a mean kid either or carries on an attitude about his hockey.
    Thats not all your doing. your coming to a fantasy hockey forums and giving us stat updates. We all have or most of us do nephews, nieces, kids,cousins who play hockey. I'm not trying to be mean spirited. Hockey today is full of 'crazies' that get worked up over young kids performance. Its killing the game. Many parents dont even bother anymore beacuse they dont want to put up with the 'crazies'. As far as just wanting to make a Jr team? still too early to tell. Point is dont even worry about height/weight/stats until at least 14 yrs of age. Up until than Kids are still learning to THINK the game.....

TM