Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gaborik projections

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Was his scenario in 2009/2010, the 86-point season, really all that much better than the scenario he has now?

His linemates were for the most part Dubinsky/Prospal. Besides Gabby, only Prospal hit the 44-point mark. The team was saddled with the Drury and Redden contracts, and they were massively underperforming. Avery was a huge distraction if anything. They claimed Erik Christensen off waivers in an effort to boost their offense, Erik Christensen!

If anything, I think his situation now is better for him to have a couple of huge seasons. He's got a team that is quietly building some really balance scoring throughout the top 9, which is going to cause problems for opposing defenses. Their D is getting to the point where the powerplay is going to be pretty solid, pretty soon (although not there yet).
    There are some interesting parallels between that Rangers team in 09-10 and this Columbus team. Scoring by committee (minus Gaborik), awesome goalie (though Bobrovsky has to prove that he's as good..) and a new-ish coach with a team that should be on the rise.

That said, I still think the Rangers were then (and have been since) a better team than Columbus and still are now. Gaborik has gotten 3 years older since that time and I think that will play a factor. His situation may not be sooo much worse in Columbus (though I think it still is, if even by a smaller margin than I believe) but I would have pegged him for a decline in NY anyway, so I think the likelihood of a decline is not improved by being in Columbus. I don't think we should expect huge numbers. Scoring in the NHL is down overall and if he hits 75-80 pts that has to be considered huge. I'm betting he won't and would likely place my expectations in the 60-65 range. Less chance of being massively disappointed.

Shall we say:

Hopeful: 70-75+
    Likely: 60-65+
    Bad case: 55-60+
    Worst case: 50 in a year full of injuries.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've always had Gaborik pegged as a big-fish-in-small-pond kind of player, so I'm cautiously optimistic that he will have a highly productive season in CLB.

Plus, it's a contract year and this may be his last chance at a big contract.

RETIRED