Thread: Skinner or Schwartz...?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Skinner or Schwartz...?

I have been offered Skinner for Jaden Schwartz straight up, and while Skinner has more NHL experience, and is on a more offensive minded team, his concussions give me pause. I have been reading about Carolina possibly moving him to the 3rd line as a center for scoring depth. Having said that, Schwartz has a similar offensive ceiling, but plays for Hitchcock, which is offensive Siberia (no offence intended to our Russian posters).

How do you see the next 3-5 seasons playing out for these two, and who would you take in a trade. Our fantasy scoring categories are Goals, Assists, +/- and PIMS.

Thanks in advance,

Puck
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

With a 5.725mil cap hit, no way they let Skinner toil on their 3rd line with ~40pts all season.
    Skinner has scared off his fair share of fantasy GMs lately w/ injuries, and the dobber community has created quite a buzz for Schwartz but I can't justify taking Schwartz over a proven commodity in Skinner at this time.
    Even if you don't like Skinner, unless it's a cap league, you'll be able to flip him for a lot more than you could get for Schwartz IMO.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I like Schwartz, but sorry I would take Skinner here..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Take Skinner and run. Sounds like your trading partner has been getting into the Schwartz koolaid a bit too much. Good for you.
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The only place I have read Skinner might play third line is in the ramblings on this site last week. I love them, but sometimes some of the guys throw out some pretty silly ideas on a slow news day looking for content. Skinner won't play third line. I actually commented on those ramblings. IF (a big if IMO) they plan on moving Skinner back to center, J. Staal would be the one moving back to L3 (think of how San Jose deploys Thornton, Couture, and Pavelski). Sorry, but Schwartz doesn't have anywhere close to the offensive ceiling that Skinner does. Make the trade.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The only place I have read Skinner might play third line is in the ramblings on this site last week. I love them, but sometimes some of the guys throw out some pretty silly ideas on a slow news day looking for content. Skinner won't play third line. I actually commented on those ramblings. IF (a big if IMO) they plan on moving Skinner back to center, J. Staal would be the one moving back to L3 (think of how San Jose deploys Thornton, Couture, and Pavelski). Sorry, but Schwartz doesn't have anywhere close to the offensive ceiling that Skinner does. Make the trade.
    I'd say that both Schwartz and Skinner could hit 80 points in a perfect season. Skinner obviously has more experience, though. Then again, he also has a more colorful injury history.

Right now Skinner obviously carries more value because of his established production, but I don't think it's right to claim that Schwartz doesn't have anywhere close to Skinner's ceiling.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Schwartz isn't all that talented. He's a great hockey player but not a great scorer. Dustin Brown is a great hockey player but he doesn't have 80 point upside. Neither does Jaden Schwartz. Great character, great hockey player, great leader. 60 point upside. That's all he's got.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one
    GO WINGS!

Banned

I think Schwartz has a higher upside than 60 points... He reminds me a lot of his ex-teammate Andy MacDonald, only difference is that he is one of those guys who has a motor that just won't quit. I think that if things break right for Jaden he has a very realistic shot of becoming a consistent 60-70 point guy. He could surprise and go even higher, but I think you are looking at a few years, regardless, before Jaden starts putting up numbers to get too excited about.

On the other hand, Jeff Skinner is a 75+ point player in my eyes... easy. Only thing holding him back is health, and it is a legitimate concern. If Skinner could play 80 games next year, I think he would break 70 points. He very likely won't play 80 games but I think his upside and production, especially over the next 3(ish) years, will be much better than Schwartz anyways. Skinner is definitely a bit of a risk, but it would take more than Schwartz, at this point in his career, to get me to give up on him.

Dobber Sports Master

Despite the injury issues that Skinner had in the past, I think he is the clear choice here. Schwartz is a good prospect, but he's still only a prospect. Skinner has had a 30 goal 60 point season under his belt. Right now, he's the player to take between the two.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm on the Skinner side of this one as well.

But more importantly from my selfish perspective, if anyone has links for the musings that Skinner might be downgraded by the Canes to playing on the third line, I'd really love to see them.

Cheers.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd say Skinner as well, but in a league that doesn't count SOG, Skinner does lose some value.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would prefer to own Schwartz however Skinner does currently carry more value. Personally I wouldn't do the deal, in a points only league I think Schwartz has more upside, especially considering that +/- is 25% of your scoring cats. I know Ward's back next year but that Hitchcock system you knocked does mean you will see better returns on +/- from Jaden.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Pretty good trade if you can get someone else with Schwartz. Schwartz has tremendous upside and skinner does get concussed often. As a former owner of skinner I can attest that the first few games of the season are often ppg, then he gets hurt.
    20 team keeper
    G=1.7 A=1
    Def G=2.5 A=1.5
    Hits, BS, SOG, +/-= .1
    maj (+1) SHPTs (+1)

Centers: T. Hertl/R.N.H/P. Zacha/W. Karlsson/J. Kotkaniemi/T. Zegras
    Wings: A. Burakovsky/A. Mantha/R. Rickell/A. Duclair/
    Defense: J. Drysdale/O.E.L/R. Pulock/D. Fabbro/J. Schultz/M. Ferraro
    Goalies: R. Lehner
    Prospects: R. Damiani/A. Raty/R. Suzuki/R. Amirov/N. Chibrikov/J. Perreault/A. Volkov/D. Farrance/F. Gustavsson/L. Dostal

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would stand pat with this trade. While they do have similar upside, Skinner is the much more proven player. I would go with him despite the concussions.