Thread: Crazy things you have pulled in H2H playoff desperation

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Crazy things you have pulled in H2H playoff desperation

I thought this would make an interesting confession-type thread, as I am sure I'm not the only one who gets a little nutty in a tight playoff matchup. Here are two of my crazier moves.

1) At the end of the 11-12 season, when Duncan Keith was serving a suspension, I decided I couldn't stand to have him occupy a roster spot and not produce. Salary league. Any player can be buried, but anyone over 1.8 million has to clear waivers. So I waived him of course. Lost him on waivers, and while I don't recall if I won that particular playoff round, I do know I didn't win the league title.

2) Different league, trade deadline 12-13. Decided I had a shot at the title, but Fowler was dragging me down. Multicat league, and he wasn't giving me anything. Being over 150 games played I couldn't get him to the farm without waivers, which I knew wouldn't clear. I offered him to a non-contending team for Ryan Ellis, who I could farm, then did the rotating treat-of-the-week free agent thing with the open spot. Came in 2nd place, despite the absence of Crosby, and the fact that said absence made Kunitz awful.

So what silliness have you pulled, and how much do you regret it?

Dobber Sports Initiate

In 2011/12 I started Marty Turco(BOS) for a Sunday game. I think Marty played his only good game of the season and that combined with a collapse from my opponents goalie won me the week.

This past year I dropped Nazem Kadri for Ryan Reaves in an effort to win PIMs. In a cruel twist of fate for my opponent Reaves scored two goals and pulled me even in that category and I won on a tiebreak.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Initiate

Same league as the Fowler thing (same day too): L. Eriksson, Barrie, Ritchie for Chara. Because yeah, to hell with the future. I want the declining giant.

Dobber Sports Genius

Salary cap league. Had to cut cap. Last year. Through in PK Subban for a draft pick, believing he would catch a contract for $4.0M... at that rate he would need to produce at 60 point pace to justify himself... well, he got a lot less money and did more than the 60 point pace...

Don't sweat it though. Everyone makes mistakes. Bad looking trades, often turn out well. You'll win some deals big.

Dropped Mario for Per Gustafson, after Mario was retired the first time. I'd sat on him for several years. Mario was an owner. Owners can't play, as per NHL rules. Owners named Mario Lemieux can play! He made a bit of a comeback!

Oh, he went first overall in the next draft, but not to me!

Dobber Sports Giant

i traded booby ryan late in a season to aquire anderson just to grab a few more wins. anderson then turned into swiss cheese and i finnished 2nd where i already was situated.

next season as anderson was still sucking i managed to get dubinski for him and then torts decided he dint like duby anymore and anderson decided he was going to make a run for the vezina.

now that its ryan for dubinski it looks pretty silly on my part.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    i traded booby ryan late in a season to aquire anderson just to grab a few more....
    Sorry that's all I got out of that post! lmao
    16 Team 7 Keeper H2H League (4C,4LW,4RW,4D,2G)
    Skater Stats: G,A,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK
    Goalie Stats: W,GA,SV,SHO

C: Steven Stamkos, Nathan MacKinnon, Nolan Patrick, Blake Coleman
    LW: Claude Giroux, Ryan Hartman, Travis Konecny, Leo Komarov
    RW: Nick Foligno, Anthony Duclair, Alex DeBrincat
    D: Karlsson, Kris Letang, Aaron Ekblad, Ivan Provorov
    G: Holtby, Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy
    IR: Zemgus Girgensons, Mathieu Perreault
    NA: Jesse Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Two years ago I had to pick a player (not playing on Sunday) to cut so that I could chase one category. Cut MDZ hoping nobody would see him go. Somebody scooped him with a waiver claim. Not a big loss... but sometimes you have to sacrifice a player to chase a category - ah... H2H, how you tease us!

Dobber Sports Expert

i always think about a crazy steal i made, so it might fit in here. In 2009 i was offered a trade: my Alexei Kovalev for his Erik Karlsson.

Although Karlsson was far away from being as dominant as he is today, Kovalev was not doing much, i couldnīt believe it and pulled the trigger within seconds.

One year later i was trying to sell high on Byfuglien, i thought he was just on a awesome streak and tried to get a good return. So i packed him with my first round rookie pick for Mike Green. Well Green was i big reason why i was able to win that league, but Green brought so many headaches that i regretted that trade more than once.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Well Green was i big reason why i was able to win that league, but Green brought so many headaches that i regretted that trade more than once.
    Wait, you won the league but you regret it? The purpose of fantasy is to win your league. Sure he was a headache but would you have won without him? Seems like you got exactly what you needed. Awesome
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bballplyr321 View Post
    Wait, you won the league but you regret it? The purpose of fantasy is to win your league. Sure he was a headache but would you have won without him? Seems like you got exactly what you needed. Awesome
    Ok i will clarify it. I made that trade in 2009, didnīt win this year, regretted it for almost 3 years and than Green finally made my team win.