Thread: Opinion

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Opinion

Hello Guys,

I want your opinion.

I am in a 12 teams pool with 25 players in each.

In your 25 players, 12 forwards counts, 5 defenses and 2 goalies.

It's a point only pool.

Forward and def

1 goal = 1 point
    1 pass = 1 point
    3 goal = add 1 point

Goalie
    1 goal = 5 points
    1 pass = 1 point
    Shootout = 2 points (blank)
    Win = 2 points
    Lose = 0 point

From the opinion of few DG...the goalie and the defense are not too important to win.

My opinion is you need a top goalie and a second good goalie, 5 defenses from 35+ points (Average) and 12 forwards from 55+ points (Average).

Do you think that it's more valuable to have poor defense and goalie and put more on offense to win?

What do you think?
    Last edited by Dreamer; July 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Depends what is available when you draft. I like having as many top end forwards as I can and decent goaltending

Dobber Sports All-Star

I've never had a problem with going Strong offense, and good goaltending in most formats. In pts only leagues, I put defense on low priority. In my own league, I don't think I drafted my first defenceman till round 9.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yes, you can absolutely win this league format with elite (A+) forwards, average (C) defensemen, and decent (B-/C+) goalies.

Drafting in points-leagues is ALWAYS about relative difference.

Here's how you do this:
    1. Establish the waiver-wire value (WWV) of your league's F, D, G.

Your waiver-wire forward is #144. 12 teams x 12F. Find out how many points forward #144 will score in a full year. In 2011-2012, that amount was 38pts.

Your waiver-wire defenseman is #60. 12 teams x 5D. Find out how many points defenseman #60 will score in a full year. In 2011-2012, that amount was 27pts.

Your waiver-wire goalie is #24. 12 teams x 2G. Find out how many points goalie #24 will score in a full year. In 2011-2012, that amount was 23 wins = 46pts.

2. At ANY given time in the draft, you compare the players that are available to the waiver wire value (WWV).

3. The key is that MOST teams start to get nervous when they have 4F and 0D. They think "Oh, I NEED to get a defenseman". Then they go and draft a 40pt defenseman instead of a 60pt forward. But that 40pt defenseman is just a +13 over the WWV-D = 27pts. Whereas, that 60pt forward is a +22 over the WWV-F = 38pts.

4. GOALIES can be different. In some leagues, the points are based on "daily" starts. In those leagues, you want to maximize points out of your goalie slots by getting 3-4 goalies and pick them to avoid "conflicts", by using something called the "Same Night Tool". See One-Year League Forum, for this great tool. If it is "total season points", then you may want to just roster two good goalies. Since goalies can run-out... it is acceptable to draft a goalie a little bit before they become the best WWV. You don't want to be stuck with two duds. Jumping in on a goalie-run is sometimes important and hard to quantify generically - every league is different.

If you have waiver-wire value set. (WWV) and you have a good prediction guide (buy Dobber's guide) then you'll have no problem choosing the best available player (BAP) at any point in your draft.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; July 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

First time I've seen goalie passes as a scoring cat. Interesting.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks a lot for your comment's and hint's

Dobber Sports Guru

My theory has always been that dmen are a lot easier to trade for than forwards or goalies, at least in my pool. There's always a guy having a better-than-expected season that you can trade for cheaply (Kulikov, Garrison, etc.) that can help you win.

I build from the forwards/goalie position, and go from there.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Yes, you can absolutely win this league format with elite (A+) forwards, average (C) defensemen, and decent (B-/C+) goalies.

Drafting in points-leagues is ALWAYS about relative difference.

Here's how you do this:
    1. Establish the waiver-wire value (WWV) of your league's F, D, G.

Your waiver-wire forward is #144. 12 teams x 12F. Find out how many points forward #144 will score in a full year. In 2011-2012, that amount was 38pts.

Your waiver-wire defenseman is #60. 12 teams x 5D. Find out how many points defenseman #60 will score in a full year. In 2011-2012, that amount was 27pts.

Your waiver-wire goalie is #24. 12 teams x 2G. Find out how many points goalie #24 will score in a full year. In 2011-2012, that amount was 23 wins = 46pts.

2. At ANY given time in the draft, you compare the players that are available to the waiver wire value (WWV).

3. The key is that MOST teams start to get nervous when they have 4F and 0D. They think "Oh, I NEED to get a defenseman". Then they go and draft a 40pt defenseman instead of a 60pt forward. But that 40pt defenseman is just a +13 over the WWV-D = 27pts. Whereas, that 60pt forward is a +22 over the WWV-F = 38pts.

4. GOALIES can be different. In some leagues, the points are based on "daily" starts. In those leagues, you want to maximize points out of your goalie slots by getting 3-4 goalies and pick them to avoid "conflicts", by using something called the "Same Night Tool". See One-Year League Forum, for this great tool. If it is "total season points", then you may want to just roster two good goalies. Since goalies can run-out... it is acceptable to draft a goalie a little bit before they become the best WWV. You don't want to be stuck with two duds. Jumping in on a goalie-run is sometimes important and hard to quantify generically - every league is different.

If you have waiver-wire value set. (WWV) and you have a good prediction guide (buy Dobber's guide) then you'll have no problem choosing the best available player (BAP) at any point in your draft.

Good luck.
    Great analysis.

Just a heads up that's not taking into consideration the bench players on everyone's team. So the WWV might be a tad lower than the numbers posted.

Also, what if the league has no waiver wire? In my points only, we draft one time (this last weekend) and have no waiver wire. What to do?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Great analysis.

Just a heads up that's not taking into consideration the bench players on everyone's team. So the WWV might be a tad lower than the numbers posted.

Also, what if the league has no waiver wire? In my points only, we draft one time (this last weekend) and have no waiver wire. What to do?
    The analysis would be the same, and in the case of no waiver wire it's even easier. You rank your forwards and goalies and determine who the projected last player taken at each position is as this player is the "worst case scenario". With each pick you compare the best F/D/G available to the projected last pick and take the one with the highest relative gain.

So if the last pick is F-55, D-25, G-40
    and you have a chance to pick: F-70, D-40, G-60
    You have +25, +15 and +20 options and take the Forward.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

The Great One

I get what your saying. But the forward would only be a +15. Probably just a mistake on your end.

And this is why I haven't played one year leagues in years.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I get what your saying. But the forward would only be a +15. Probably just a mistake on your end.

And this is why I haven't played one year leagues in years.
    That was a test, congratulations you passed!
    (Ooops! One key to executing this plan is being able to subtract correctly, aside from my math error I think you get my point)
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR