Thread: Trading for depth

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Trading for depth

Deal on the table is:

My 4th overall in the entry draft and Hampus Lindholm

for

Marc Staal, Pitkanen, Tyler Johnson and a late 3rd round pick

It's a 14 team points based H2H multi-cat dynasty league. Cats are G/A/+-/PIM/STP/Hits/Blocks/TOI, with an emphasis on peripherals (especially blocked shots). Daily starts, 9F/6D/2G.

For a little perspective, my team is a win now type situation and my D is probably my weak point heading into this season. I also have several solid prospects on defence (Trouba, Ceci, Maatta) so Lindholm isn't a huge loss, but essentially no decent prospects at forward.

Thoughts?

Edit: I could probably sub E Johnson for either of the two D, if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by GretzkysMullet; July 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Is it just the 2013 draftees? Because if it is, win-now or not, I think I keep what you have. You can probably draft Jones at 4, and honestly I think he probably gives you about the same numbers Staal does this year. And if Jones is gone you're drafting an elite forward prospect in Barkov.

I just don't think Staal is good enough to give up that kind of youth.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ace

It's 2013 draftees along with any other prospects that haven't been claimed from previous years. Pickings are pretty slim on that front though, so for top picks I'm definitely looking at this crop.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Any of the top 4 picks should net you a better return than what's on the table.

It seems like another GM sees how thin you are at D, and has offered you their bubble players (Pitkanen - declining) and (Staal - not a great fantasy option).

You goal is to get more depth for your defense. Draft Jones instead at #4.

If he's not available and you land Drouin/N-Mac/Barkov, then use that player as leverage. You will likely end up with Jones or Barkov.

I would keep shopping the pick if in your shoes. Good luck.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dont make the trade

The Great One

I hate that trade. That #4 pick will get you Seth Jones (and if it doesn't, then you can get Barkov). I have no idea if Pitkanen is healthy, and have heard that Marc Staal's eye has not healed 100%. Tyler Johnson is a crap shoot in TB at best, as they have a zillion young forwards.

I dislike this trade for you in the short-term and the long-term.

Dobber Sports Giant

Stand pat. As others have said, draft Jones/Barkov and enjoy the ride. Short and long term this isn't a trade that benefits you.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have acquired Pitkanen via draft, trade, free agency, pretty much every possible avenue, in a variety of leagues, at least eight times over the past five years, and I have never been happy with the results. He's always either underperforming or injured. I wouldn't touch this deal.

Dobber Sports Ace

Rejected, thanks guys.