Thread: Erhoff?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Erhoff?

I have a bit of difficulty assessing his game and what I should do with him... I've read in a few threads that he is very undervalued and even that he should have been a Norris candidate. Opportunity is certainly there, last season he was playing around 28-30 minutes per game and getting lots the PP time. And yet his consistency and his production were a bit disappointing... I guess you could say the same about the whole Sabres squad except Vanek.

Any insight about Erhoff that could help me? What do you expect from him next season and beyond? Right now he's a fringe keeper on my team, I could include him in a deal before next season but I need more info. I'm in a position to win now, points only keeper league.

Cheers.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Genius

It's possible I have the story wrong.

I know early in his career he was dubbed "Error-hoff" in honour of his brutal work in the defensive zone.

Being in San Jose, a defensively responsible system, proved stressful. Even as he approached veteran status, he still did tours of duty in the stands. The points per game looked good. The opportunity looked good, but SJ coaches would tire and sit him in the stands when they were stressed too much. He had 42 points in his final SJ season and a respectable TOI of 21:15 with 3:01 on the PP.

So, off to Vancouver he went. Maybe UFA or for very little. He found a coach that obviously was pleased with him. His TOI was 22:46 the first year and 24:00 the second, and he averaged 3 minutes on the PP over the two seasons. Cool stuff.

So he UFA'd and went to Buffalo for the ridiculous front loaded contract. Monster money. He no longer had Art Ross candidates, the Sedin twins, up to 30 goal man Burrows, Kessler threatening point-a-game and maybe most importantly a rock solid defensive partner.

Through his final season in SJ and the two years in Buffalo, his SH TOI was over two minutes a night, which is quite respectable. It really doesn't add up with the "Error-hoff" part of the discussion.

In Buffalo, he's done fine, and is a whisker below 1/2 a point a game (40 point pace). He's played big PP time at about 3:10 per game while chewing off 24 minutes a night. He's only been deployed about 1:40 a night in shorthanded situations (not a big deal).

Now, Buffalo isn't Vancouver, but Vanek chipped along very nicely last year. There's always been a few talented bodies around.

I believe he's a 1/2 a point-a-game guy, doing exactly what he's supposed to. If all the stars align once again, he could threaten nearer the 50.

I think it's fair to wonder that he's managed to wiggle some of the defensive short comings from his game, due to age and experience.

Boy, those 92 points in Vancouver sure made this guy a ton of money. That and being one of the finer UFA blueliners available in the summer of 2012.

Cody Franson, pay attention!

Anyway, value him on a what you see is what you get basis. At age 31, and in Buffalo, I don't suddenly see him exploding to new and lofty heights.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He's far and away the Sabres' best defenceman, will play a metric ton of minutes, and is the engine that will drive most of the offence, but their forwards struggled to score last year and I don't see how they can expect that to change this year, which means I can't project anything more than 40 points for him. Add in the Sabres' apparent rebuild and likely trade of Thomas Vanek and the just looks awfully bleak.

I'd strongly consider keeping Bobrovsky over him. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Spleentastic View Post
    I'd strongly consider keeping Bobrovsky over him. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.
    Goalies are not valued as they should be in my league... Also with only 11 teams, there are only 22 goalies in play all season. I would rather have a defensemen protected as each team needs 6 of them.

Would you take any other d-men from my team over Ehroff? Shattenkirk being a lock already.

JHM, great post with lots of good info... Thanks. But what do you mean by "Cody Franson, pay attention!" ?
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    Goalies are not valued as they should be in my league... Also with only 11 teams, there are only 22 goalies in play all season. I would rather have a defensemen protected as each team needs 6 of them.
    If you want to take 4 defencemen, I think you've got it right, although an argument could be made for Gonchar if you felt you were going to be in the title mix this year.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Genius

Is Franson the closest thing to a young Ehrhoff in the NHL at this time? Like a young Ehrhoff, he is doing a good job creating offense and struggling to get the defensive pieces to line up to the satisfaction of the bosses. Their offensive games seem to be coming together at about the same moments in their careers... Franson's career has many parallels to Ehrhoff to this point in time. Franson wants the next five years to progress in a similar manner to Ehrhoff's, particularly the pay check!

The Great One

I'd consider keeping Bobrovsky over Whitney; I really don't know what Whitney has left in the tank.

As for Franson, that might be a reference to the fact that contract negotiations aren't going well with Toronto. I think it would be a major mistake if they let this guy go. But the Leafs have really shown piss-poor cap management this summer, so nothing would surprise me.

Dobber Sports Genius

Franson needs to go somewhere that will present him opportunity. Somewhere that needs a PP guy and that will go with him through thick and thin. Somewhere that he achieves 20+ minutes a night with at least three of those on the PP. Sign until his UFA status comes available. If all goes well, he has 80-95 points in a couple of seasons in such an environment. At that point, he would command big money.

How does Calgary, NYI, Edmonton... sound? A team needing a first of second offensive option. Preferably with a solid PP and a nice bunch of forwards... Hmmm. That sounds a lot like Toronto, NYI, Edmonton... not so much Calgary. Maybe Vancouver isn't such a bad spot, or Boston.

Ehrhoff seemed to manage this trick quite nicely!