Thread: New draft picks impact...

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default New draft picks impact...

In your opinions what draft picks in this year's entry draft are going to make an impact this season? Next season? Which high picks are over rated?

Dobber Sports Sage

Wink

I think all of the top 6 make there teams and have significant impacts. Monahan could very well have the advantage this year as there is very little standing in his way in Calgary but I fell long term his impact will be lower then the other top 6 guys as a feel he is a tier below them. Still great but they are elite level talent IMO.

Outside of the top 6 Nichushkin should make Dallas and might have a huge rookie year if he immediately gets to play with Seguin and Benn. Risstolinan should make Buffalo but probably won't put up any huge numbers. Horvat could make Vancouver I suppose but wouldn't count on it and my sleeper is Morrissey to make Winnipeg. I know they fairly deep on the backend but I love this kid. He is going to be a Stud.

Ill rank there impacts this year below

Mackinnon (simply the best of the best, will find a way)
    Nichushkin (opportunity)
    Monahan (opportunity)
    Drouin
    Barkov
    Lindholm (will be forced into a more defensive role to start but is superb in all regards
    Risstolinan
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I have drafted Nichushkin in a few leagues but this idea that he will play on the top line this season seems far fetched. Top line mean big important minutes. He is a rookie so very unlikely he manages to gain enough trust to warrant that responsibility. Also keep in mind who is running things in Dallas:
    Lindy "I played Grigorenko 5 minutes a night' Ruff
    Jim "I am from the Detroit system where we seasoned our prospects for five years" Nill

To me best case scenario for me is protected 3rd line minutes (10-12 even strength minutes with easy match-ups and zone starts) with good power play time (1-2 minutes).

Dobber Sports Pro

Nichushkin at 10th overall will likely be called strong-armed robbery in a couple years. I like his upside more than Tarasenko and I'm a huge Tarasenko fan.

Max Domi at 12th overall falls in the same category as above. Tremendous offensive potential and any perceived lack of size people may have on this kid are going to fly out the window.

In terms of fantasy upside, Horvat isn't a top 10 pick in my book. I also feel like Samuel Morin was taken way too early. The Poirier pick by Calgary seemed like a head scratcher to me as well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

McKinnon,Drouin,Barkov,Jones,Lindholm,Monohan,Nich uskin should all be somewhat productive this year. Drouin, Barkov, and McKinnon especially are going to be near the top of the league in a few years then for a long time and have potential to become elite. I definitely agree with the person above me that Nichuskin has very high upside, (I disagree about the Tarasenko comment but that's irrelevant). Nichuksin does need to learn to pass better,play smarter, and not to try to score a goal basically every time he touches it. While it could lead to his greatness, he will make tons of costly mistakes, especially early on.

Dobber Sports Pro

One name that doesn't get talked about a lot yet is Arturri Lehkonen. Everything I've seen/read on him indicates he has 1st line scoring potential in my book. He's someone I've snagged up in two deep dynasty leagues. In a couple years he could be a looked at as a real steal of 2013.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Hey Hitman, glad you chimed in on Lehkonen. Snagged him in the 2nd round somehow in a 16 team league. Following you on twitter now too. Thanks to the others for your replies.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderpucker View Post
    Hey Hitman, glad you chimed in on Lehkonen. Snagged him in the 2nd round somehow in a 16 team league. Following you on twitter now too. Thanks to the others for your replies.
    Someone who I think has been overlooked, unless your league counts a lot of peripherals like Hits/Blocks/PIMs, is Rasmus Ristolainen. He could make an impact in BUF either this year or next, but he's gt all the physical tools. Nikita Zadorov is another '13 draftee who could make a quick impact, in a similar mold.

Max Domi is another sleeper pick, too. He is an outside shot at making the Yotes roster, but if he cracks the big club it will most definitely be in a top6 role.

You can follow me on twitter too, lol.

@PITmounD
    Last edited by mounD; July 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderpucker View Post
    Lehkonen is very much an under the radar talent, but not without some drawbacks. Still, fantasy hockey is about offense, and Lehkonen oozes plenty in that department. A really insightful piece on Lehkonen can be found here.

Thanks for the follow, I recommend giving @PITmounD a follow too.