Thread: Seth Jones and Dougie Hamilton

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Seth Jones and Dougie Hamilton

We're looking at Rob Blake and Chris Pronger 2.0 in terms of production and impact. Neither will quite as nasty but the game has changed. If you don't have a piece of this action in your keeper league, start working the phones before it's too late. Both are surefire studs who will be fantasy monsters within 2-3 years.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    We're looking at Rob Blake and Chris Pronger 2.0 in terms of production and impact. Neither will quite as nasty but the game has changed. If you don't have a piece of this action in your keeper league, start working the phones before it's too late. Both are surefire studs who will be fantasy monsters within 2-3 years.
    Couldnt agree with you more. I own them both in a couple leagues and I have been trying to accuire both of them for a while now in all my others. They both will be 50+ pt dmen for the next 15years
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    They both will be 50+ pt dmen for the next 15years
    Maybe 40+.

These days... there are very, very, very few defensemen that put up 50+ in more than half their seasons.

If we look at, say, the last six seasons... I wonder how many have put up 50+ in three of them. Maybe five, I'd guess.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Maybe 40+.

These days... there are very, very, very few defensemen that put up 50+ in more than half their seasons.

If we look at, say, the last six seasons... I wonder how many have put up 50+ in three of them. Maybe five, I'd guess.
    This is valid. There will be the 74GP seasons and such sprinkled in. But I firmly believe the model for these kids is Pronger-Blake-Chara-Weber. When you look at those guys...

- Rob Blake: 11 years of 40+ points (low=45 / high=68)

- Chris Pronger: 10 consecutive years of 40+ (low=43 / high=62)

- Zdeno Chara: 8 years (7 consecutive) of 40+ (low=41 / high=52)

- Shea Weber: 6 out of 8 years of 40+ (low=40 / high=53)

Jones and Hamilton are special talents. Big horses who will munch minutes and both are blessed with top-end offensive talents that rival anyone sans Erik Karlsson. My advice is to GET THEM now while there is still some of that "defensemen taken high in the draft usually don't develop for a long time" talk going on. If Dougie bags close to 40 this year as a 20-year old and Jones breaks 35 as a rookie, the price of acquisition will be off the rails this time next year.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Banned

If this is really how other people perceive these two then I would sell high. I remember Adam Larsson being called Pronger too (and he's a better d-man than Hamilton). Hamilton or Jones don't have the kind of offensive talent that the top offensive d-men in the league has. At least Jones has a much greater chance of becoming a truly elite defenseman. I can't recall a any of these hall-of-fame d-men to ever be scratched in favour of an AHL d-man and a has-been.

edit: if you're pegging 40 points than ignore what I just said, that's respectable
    Last edited by Big Ev; July 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    If this is really how other people perceive these two then I would sell high. I remember Adam Larsson being called Pronger too (and he's a better d-man than Hamilton). Hamilton or Jones don't have the kind of offensive talent that the top offensive d-men in the league has. At least Jones has a much greater chance of becoming a truly elite defenseman. I can't recall a any of these hall-of-fame d-men to ever be scratched in favour of an AHL d-man and a has-been.
    To each their own. Adam Larsson is a complete defenseman with some decent offensive skill. He projects to be an all-purpose guy who will eventually man a point on the PP for the Devils. His realistic upside has always been in the 42-46 point range (think current day Shattenkirk).

Jones has been tracked since he was 15 and has high-end offensive talents. He's not just a big body who will log minutes - the same with Dougie Hamilton. As an 18-year old Hamilton was dominating the OHL, scoring at a 118 point pace (17G/72P in 50GP) and, as a 19-year old, a 105 point pace (8G/41P in 32GP). When you combine that with a 6-5, 200 frame, big shot and skating ability of Hamilton, you have a potentially elite monster - not some small, risky , offensive type like K.Russell, R.Murphy or S.Elliott.

I'm not saying these guys will be 75+ point machines like Karlsson or Letang but they legitimately project to be solid 45-60 point guys for the next 12+ years. The object is not to overpay for these guys but attempt to get them before the arc up.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

Fung, I don't think Hamilton will be available in mid-round (unless it's a 1 year league). In keepers, I can easily see him being drafted in the 4th round.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Fung, I don't think Hamilton will be available in mid-round (unless it's a 1 year league). In keepers, I can easily see him being drafted in the 4th round.
    Depends on the league I guess. But in many established Keeper leagues, I think Hamilton should be targeted via trade now - perhaps moving a seasoned vet with a "name" and 2 good seasons left. Streit, Hossa, Markov, Franzen, Lecavalier, Campbell, St. Louis types come to mind.
    Last edited by fungchen3; July 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Pro

I have been offered Barrie and Brendan Smith for Hamilton
    in my 16 team multicat keeper in signature,
    worth it?
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    I have been offered Barrie and Brendan Smith for Hamilton
    in my 16 team multicat keeper in signature,
    worth it?
    At first blush I wouldn't but this requires more info. How many keepers? How important are PIM? etc.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Padawan

If i owned Jones right now i'd be working the phones. Hamilton to a lesser extent but Jones for sure.

There's been arguably 1 defenseman in the top of the draft over the last decade who's made any top impact (doughty). People tend to feel Jones is the second coming of whomever. Until he's done it i'll spend my assets buying other players.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    At first blush I wouldn't but this requires more info. How many keepers? How important are PIM? etc.
    ya its tempting if Barrie comes close to the hype.

PIM - .5 per minute
    We keep all its a dynasty. 10 prospect spots.

Dmen - 7 pts for goal, 5 for assist
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    ya its tempting if Barrie comes close to the hype.

PIM - .5 per minute
    We keep all its a dynasty. 10 prospect spots.

Dmen - 7 pts for goal, 5 for assist
    Considering Goals and Assists are SO high (and PIM are not - a benefit for Smith) I would KEEP Hamilton. I think he rounds out to be a 14G/35A type of player for a long time - that's a mound of pool points right there.
    8-GM / WK-H2H