Thread: Returning to form

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Returning to form

Returning to form

By Alain Brosseau - There are many ways to win in fantasy hockey nowadays. One of them is banking on a player to produce after a subpar season due to injuries, ice-time, teammates and yes even coaching. This is a great angle to play with your squad on the trade market because most of them make great buy low candidates. They’re also frequently forgotten or taken later then they should on draft day. These are just some of the nominee’s that aspire to bounce back and return to form this upcoming season.

Ryane Clowe, LW-RW, New Jersey Devils

Welcome to the Clowe show fantasy general managers! The new devil in town is ready to get his career back on track after a tough last season in San Jose which triggered a trade deadline deal to the Rangers. He signed a five-year deal worth $24.25 million, averaging off at almost five million per season, he will be expected to see top six forward minutes on his new club. The departure of Kovalchuk to the KHL clears more room for this rugged forward to get offensive minutes as well. Depending on the statistical make up of your league this skater can be a must have on your roster because he's considered a multi-category stud and obtains dual eligibility at the wing in most leagues. Clowe has been averaging in the last five seasons 20 goals, 55 points, 115 PIM and 150 hits in consistent fashion. If you like the addition of these stats on your team and then some expect him to return to form.

Stephen Weiss, C, Detroit Red Wings

Hockeytown’s new second line centerman was signed this summer to a five-year 24.9 million dollar deal after the Panthers couldn’t compete with other suitors due to budget restraints. He had a horrendous 2012-13, mainly due to wrist issues which ended his season early for surgery. Weiss has had no prior injury problems so the band aid boy tag doesn’t apply. Before last year, the former assistant captain of the Panthers had put up 25 goals and 60 points three out of the last four seasons. He also has some value in peripheral stats putting up some big faceoff win totals and in his last full season brought up his hit and blocked shot totals. Tagged the go to guy in Florida, he won’t have that role in Detroit. Weiss and his linemates (Franzen, Abdelkader?) will not have to face other team’s top shutdown players in Motown with the top line of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Alfredsson taking most of the heat. Even with less ice-time expect him to return to his usual numbers this season.

Alexander Burrows, LW-RW, Vancouver Canucks

The former ball hockey champion should be ready to return to form in 2013-14 with a healthy centerman on his line named Kesler. New head coach John Tortorella steps behind the bench which helps the top two lines in Vancouver since he has the tendency to play his top players often. In the past five years, this second line sniper has been a safe bet to be near the 30 goal mark and 55 point plateau. He has the ability to contribute in other categories on your fantasy squad, bruising himself into 110 PIM and paired up with a perennial Selke candidate in Kesler he boasts great plus minus every season. Dual eligibility on the wing doesn’t hurt either. Get ready for those numbers to return to your fantasy squad as quick as this season.

Roberto Luongo, G, Vancouver Canucks

Bobby Lou is finally back where he belongs which is in net for the Canucks for 65-70 games. Let’s not forget the whole goalie controversy in Vancouver wasn’t due to the fact of his poor play but the emergence of a great young goaltender in Schneider that was also a starter and cap friendly. Here are the reasons why this starting goaltender will put up great numbers to help your team this season. Before the goaltending soap opera in Vancouver, Luongo was the hands down favorite to be Canada’s starter in the Olympics in 2014. Expect the first half of this season to be an audition for this veteran goalie to solidify his bid for Sochi. This workhorse usually gets better with a heavy workload which means the added starts and a weaker Canuck club we saw last year will be just what the doctor ordered. A confident athlete will return as stated earlier Tortorella demands a lot from his star players and they usually get a lot of ice. Don’t forget his contract insures that he will be the starter for the next five or six seasons. If you’re in need of a goaltender for your squad, he’s as good as it gets.

Bobby Ryan, LW, Ottawa Senators

A young goal scoring American power forward should be ready to return form in the nation’s capital. Going into his 7th NHL season, this star has been a dependable for 35 goals and 65 points prior to last season. This was bound to happen with his time on ice going from 20 minutes in 2010-11 to 16 minutes last year and losing crucial Power Play time on the first unit. In Ottawa, he will become part of a lethal duo with Jason Spezza who is arguably when healthy a top three playmaker in the league at this point. Ryan will have every chance to succeed on his new club since they gave up a great package in trade to get his services. Expect the numbers to reach sky high this season with all this opportunity. He will help your squad as he sees a bit of time in the penalty box, finishes body checks and putting up 35 goals and 75 points won’t be that farfetched.
    Last edited by brosal04; July 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

nice write up.
    another guy im banking on having a good season(compared to last season) is brad richards. he was in torts dog house and could not get out. his play was very poor and id bet he improves with A.V. as coach.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Nice writing. Only two issues I could spot were "assistant captain" instead of the correct "alternate captain" and the Detroit projections. Generally Abdelkader would play with Datsyuk or not at all in the top six. He's not very skilled, but he's okay at making room for Datsyuk and whoever else is on that top line. Most Detroit pundits and fans have Alfie on the second line five-on-five. I don't know it just stood out in a weird way to me to have Abby as a shoo-in for the second line. Basically, if he's not wreaking havoc for Dats there are plenty of better options instead of him in the top six.
    GO WINGS!

The Magnificent One

Good piece overall - nice writing style in particular.

A few nits to pick though: (1) Weiss, Luongo, and Ryan are not great selections since although they fit the criteria of your article they also were focal points this offseason so I don't see any of them as a buy low candidate; (2) Ryan wasn't a big factor on the Ducks PP in years past, so it's not like he lost much there; (3) no issue with only five players in the piece, but in that case it would be best to not include two from the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    nice write up.
    another guy im banking on having a good season(compared to last season) is brad richards. he was in torts dog house and could not get out. his play was very poor and id bet he improves with A.V. as coach.
    I agree with you on that... problem is I was limited to a thousand words so I picked my top 5 favorites. Heavily influenced by multi cat leagues since that seems to be the in thing. They're also many C's that are prime for bounce back seasons compared to wingers.

I choose Weiss over Richards in the article for multiple reasons. One being Weiss completely fell of the face of the earth due to injury and bad play. Richards played a full season and wasn't spectacular. Richards still remains on auto rank radar's on websites but Weiss is nowhere in sight. Richards has more competition at C for ice time in New York with Brassard and Stepan who have significant upside. Weiss seems to be a lock as #2 C and the Wings don't have many more options to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Nice writing. Only two issues I could spot were "assistant captain" instead of the correct "alternate captain" and the Detroit projections. Generally Abdelkader would play with Datsyuk or not at all in the top six. He's not very skilled, but he's okay at making room for Datsyuk and whoever else is on that top line. Most Detroit pundits and fans have Alfie on the second line five-on-five. I don't know it just stood out in a weird way to me to have Abby as a shoo-in for the second line. Basically, if he's not wreaking havoc for Dats there are plenty of better options instead of him in the top six.
    Thanks for the alternate captain indication it would of been the proper way to put it. We use to say assistant when I played junior over 10 years ago. As for line set ups Abdelkader had the question mark so I wasn't convinced he was playing in top 2 lines but might be a candidate. The important information to keep is the heat will be on the Datsyuk line and not on the Weiss line.

If I was the coach I would have

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
    Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson

and Nyquist coming in and out of the top 6 depending who plays better between him and Abdelkader. But I'm not and most sources have indicated that line of Zetts, Alffy, Dats for the starts of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Good piece overall - nice writing style in particular.

A few nits to pick though: (1) Weiss, Luongo, and Ryan are not great selections since although they fit the criteria of your article they also were focal points this offseason so I don't see any of them as a buy low candidate; (2) Ryan wasn't a big factor on the Ducks PP in years past, so it's not like he lost much there; (3) no issue with only five players in the piece, but in that case it would be best to not include two from the same team.
    Thanks for the positive feedback on the article.

As for your concerns

1) I think your hands down right with Bobby Ryan as the buy low candidate... it doesn't apply to him but I said most make buy-low candidates not all. But your right a great fit for my criteria. As for Weiss in the drafts I've seen so far this summer he has been taking 3-4 rounds later then I expected. Especially if he does win 53-54% of his faceoffs, and continues the blocked shots and hit totals that he put up in his last full season. Don't forget he was also a decent years in the plus minus category in FLA, so playing in Detroit should secure those stats on a better team. Lots of GM's could be also worried about the wrist issues and that could explain the slide also. As for Luongo, I just selected him in a new dynasty as 12th goalie... and most GM's had him ranked between 12-16. I think that's way low but might be aged based.

2) When Ryan had first PP unit ice time, he had 23,20 PPP... So I think you would have to clarify that for me because I don't agree. When he had second unit time he had 10,11 PPP.

3) I agree with this one... I debated a couple of hours about featuring two Vancouver Canucks. But these are the five guys that I liked and thought that they would have the best bounced back years. I couldn't exclude Burrows solely based on his SH% dropping to a career low 9.3%. When the prior 4 seasons he's been shooting over 15%. His shot totals reached a career high pace last season also.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by brosal04 View Post
    Thanks for the alternate captain indication it would of been the proper way to put it. We use to say assistant when I played junior over 10 years ago. As for line set ups Abdelkader had the question mark so I wasn't convinced he was playing in top 2 lines but might be a candidate. The important information to keep is the heat will be on the Datsyuk line and not on the Weiss line.

If I was the coach I would have

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
    Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson

and Nyquist coming in and out of the top 6 depending who plays better between him and Abdelkader. But I'm not and most sources have indicated that line of Zetts, Alffy, Dats for the starts of the season.
    Would HAVE been

I've always been torn on Abby in the top six. On one hand he crashes and bangs and Dats likes him. On the other hand he can't finish to save his life. He's basically a very poor man's Holmstrom. I'd like Nyquist there but I know Babcock won't do that.
    GO WINGS!

Sorry man french is my first language. HAHA

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sorry man french is my first language. HAHA
    Hey, it was a tiny mistake. You write waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the vast majority of people with English as their first language, so don't sweat it. My problem is that I can't ever turn off editor mode. It's my lot in life as a language teacher Sorry
    GO WINGS!

The Magnificent One

Thanks for the positive feedback on the article.

As for your concerns

1) I think your hands down right with Bobby Ryan as the buy low candidate... it doesn't apply to him but I said most make buy-low candidates not all. But your right a great fit for my criteria. As for Weiss in the drafts I've seen so far this summer he has been taking 3-4 rounds later then I expected. Especially if he does win 53-54% of his faceoffs, and continues the blocked shots and hit totals that he put up in his last full season. Don't forget he was also a decent years in the plus minus category in FLA, so playing in Detroit should secure those stats on a better team. Lots of GM's could be also worried about the wrist issues and that could explain the slide also. As for Luongo, I just selected him in a new dynasty as 12th goalie... and most GM's had him ranked between 12-16. I think that's way low but might be aged based.

2) When Ryan had first PP unit ice time, he had 23,20 PPP... So I think you would have to clarify that for me because I don't agree. When he had second unit time he had 10,11 PPP.

3) I agree with this one... I debated a couple of hours about featuring two Vancouver Canucks. But these are the five guys that I liked and thought that they would have the best bounced back years. I couldn't exclude Burrows solely based on his SH% dropping to a career low 9.3%. When the prior 4 seasons he's been shooting over 15%. His shot totals reached a career high pace last season also.
    For #1, I'd argue that much of the concern lies in what kind of ice time (especially PP time) he'll get with Detroit.

For #2, Ryan has always struggled to fit into the top PP unit that was occupied by Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne. Yes, he did get to play with some of those guys some of the time, but in 2012-13 his total PP time per game was actually more close to that of Perry and Getzlaf than it had been in any of the previous seasons. Look at 2011-12 for example - it was 2:09 per game, while the other 3 all had 3:30 or more per game. Similar story in the 2010-11 season.

For #3, I think Burrows was a very solid pick. The one I'd have omitted would be Luongo.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    For #1, I'd argue that much of the concern lies in what kind of ice time (especially PP time) he'll get with Detroit.

For #2, Ryan has always struggled to fit into the top PP unit that was occupied by Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne. Yes, he did get to play with some of those guys some of the time, but in 2012-13 his total PP time per game was actually more close to that of Perry and Getzlaf than it had been in any of the previous seasons. Look at 2011-12 for example - it was 2:09 per game, while the other 3 all had 3:30 or more per game. Similar story in the 2010-11 season.

For #3, I think Burrows was a very solid pick. The one I'd have omitted would be Luongo.
    I agree with PP time in Detroit I'm thinking a 4th forward plays on PP with Kronwall and that how he slides in.

Ryan got a chance to see top PP time for 2 seasons (08-09, 09-10). Then the last 3 had 2nd unit time... which won't be the case in Ottawa right?

Couldn't omit Luongo... He will have the greatest turn around at the goaltending position this year. Price and Ward would have been my other candidates but they're less certain to turn it around since Ward is playing in a tough division and Price has a lot of pressure in MTL.
    Last edited by brosal04; July 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM.